don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Coco's freaking great and Jay Leno should've never screwed him over like he did. It's a joke guys, can't you take it?

I miss when Coco used to do a running front-flip onto the stage back in 05.

Yeah, that's basically his thing. It's great though.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  2. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    As someone who has seen people all too eager to tell off people for being upset about one thing over another (regardless of context) and blowing off (pretty damn valid) criticism as trolls, I can personally see why people weren't jazzed by that joke.

It is partially offset though that that those words are coming out of the mouth of that ridiculous "new and improved" Sonic costume though. Like a live-action Chuck E. Cheese interpretation of the original movie design crossed over with --that-- Cat in the Hat design from the Dr. Seuss Robot Chicken sketch. :v

3. MH MD

MH MD

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Still worth it IMO. It's likely going to make more now that there's more good will and even if it doesn't it won't leave nearly as tainted of a legacy now.

5. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    It also says below in a second reply:

6. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Definitely this. Regardless of the cost and how it performs at the box office, it's gonna be remembered for a better reason, as opposed to a mistake that needs to be taken out the back and shot. Ticket sales will be higher, and user reviews will definitely be higher (I mean, unless the movie itself turns out to be a wreck, but at the minute it just seems pretty harmless which is a fucking miracle at this point)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    "A delayed game is eventually good. A bad game is bad forever" This is probably more true with movies. Whether this movie is a commercial success or not. It was noble of them to re-animate Sonic if for nothing more than not leaving as tainted of a legacy.

8. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    I'm reading conflicting reports about the figure. This article claims the cost to be less than $5 million, not counting probable losses from the delay. If that's true, that's definitely not bad at all, especially when you consider that it cost $3 million to digitally remove Henry Cavill's mustache in the recent Justice League movie.

9. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    For a "starring special effects" blockbuster action film that had to be delayed three months out of its original date to have its lead character completely replaced with a new design animated with identical or superior CG graphics to the original design...the idea that it just cost the studio less than $5 million sounds far too low to be plausible. Maybe if the new Sonic design was animated with CGI from two decades ago, then I would buy the redesign costing the studio that much. I'm confident that rumored $35M is closer to what the redesign actually cost.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Depends on how much of the work they had to redo from scratch.

11. Nova

Nova

Also it appears there are reshoots in the newer trailers, so how much of the figure(s) includes those?

12. Slow the Snail

Slow the Snail

It looks like a fun movie to watch with my kids, can't ask for much more than that from movie adaptations.

Still, even if the movie turns out just decent it already puts it above what, 95% of video game movies?

Take that, Mario :V

13. Level Zone Act

Level Zone Act

Not a fan of that video - that presenter uses many of the YouTuber habits I find most irritating, and I don't think it's particularly insightful. (These days I like to hear a bit more beyond just namedropping the "uncanny valley"!)

I find the Corridor Crew of VFX Artists React only slightly less annoying, but they seem to have a good amount of special effects knowledge. (Although I get the impression they're more familiar with photorealistic effects than with ones that are intended to be cartoony.) Like the video above, they make a big deal of the change in green saturation of Sonic's eyes, but they also talk about other improvements since the first trailer (e.g. the bloom around Sonic's speed lightning):

A couple of years ago I found the animation and character design videos of T B Skyen through his really detailed frame-by-frame breakdown of the Sonic Mania trailer, which I thought did a great job of pointing out all the ways each Sonic character's distinct personality was conveyed through animation. (He later did the same with videos on each episode of Sonic Mania Adventures.) I don't think his new video on the movie trailer is as good as those, but I like the bit from around 5:50-8:30 where he talks about the eyebrow expressions, and the section from 15:00-17:45 where he points out how they're conveying speed:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  14. SonicGenesis89

SonicGenesis89

Cool! Sweet! And Catchy! Member
    Green Hill Zone
    Collecting Sonic Manga
    There's some new renders of Sonic in these promotional posters that came out recently.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    It almost looks like he's going for the Sonic '06 pose there:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  16. Movie Sonic looks so much better than '06 Sonic!

17. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    I've been shitting on this movie a lot, but I have to be completely honest, this second trailer is making me think it's actually going to be an okay film.

And this new Sonic may still have blue arms and separated eyes, but it gets the "big eyed cutesy cartoon character" thing down far better than that abomination we saw in the first trailer. It's incredible how much a trailer can change one's impression. The first trailer was playing unfitting music and showed the most generic shots (CG battles, one-liners etc.), yet this second trailer shows us things like Green Hill Zone, and a lot more character interaction.

18. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    I'm pretty sure these are the same design

[​IMG]

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    The front is totally different though.

Christ that's an ugly test model though. Can't believe it went from that and the initial trailer to the lovely design we have now