don't click here

Sonic Month 2019: Sonic 3

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    No, it's still 8 frames. Also, the final animation is wasteful; every frame has a unique set of tiles, the heads are not reused even when identical like they are for Sonic and Tails.

EDIT: Oh, and the final walking was based directly on these frames, they just completely replaced the head with a different one.

Also worth noting that the shoes in his "come get me" pose are the almost the same as his final standing frame's shoes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 14
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Huh, the frames in the prototype where he looks to his left are to his right in the final, and vice-versa. Weird.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yup, I just noticed the similarities when I was making an attempt to replace Knuckles' sprites with these in Sonic 3 AIR (let's see how long I remain interested in this but I'd like to make a mod based off this particular design). Final Knuckles is a lot smaller and has a more angular head. He's also a lot darker. I wonder what their reasoning was behind such a drastic change?

I'm having a hard time figuring out which design is more faithful to his artwork though.

5. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Sonic 2’s character designs are more simplistic, less exaggerated and more reserved in their approach to being cartoony.

Sonic 3’s final character designs are more defined at the head and based off 3D designs.

Knuckles’ old design is cool, but it’s over the top exaggerated hair and extremities neither matches Sonic 2 nor Sonic 3’s style, and I can guarantee you that is why it was changed.

6. Chainspike

Chainspike

Stealing rings since 1994 Member
    Death Egg Zone
    S3C Delta
    These two screenshots here are actual from two different prototypes. The first screenshot is from a later build; you can tell this because the HUD text and numbers are using the same graphics in the final version. That means there are at least two later builds that were shown to magazines, but it may not have been through EEPROMs (as you already mentioned).

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It is kind of like the middle child of the two. It's not quite Sonic 2 but not 3 either. Since they had to make sprites for Knuckles this was likely an attempt when they were attempting to figure out what the style would be in the end, and after they figured it out and finalized Knuckles they went onto Sonic...

I guess they ran out of time for Tails

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hey, Knuckles' head moves in the opposite way in the prototype:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    In the final version, his head moves along with his arms.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  9. Malchik

Malchik

Jesus, didn't realize how drastic the artwork difference is. I can see why they modified the sprites.
    His Nike mark is also flesh coloured.

10. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Another (mildly) interesting thing I just discovered, in the sound test 1F is where the Knuckles theme is in Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles. Even though there is no Knuckles theme playing in the Prototype, 1F on the proto is used as the Knuckles theme on S&K Collection (different from both the Sonic 3 and S3&K themes). So 1F can be considered the prototype Knuckles theme.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    It's even weirder when you realize:
    1: Knuckles' walk cycle is clearly based off Sonic's from 2/3.
    2: Sonic's walk cycle in 2/3 has his head face the same way as Knuckles' final sprites.
    So they decided to have Knuckles face the opposite way...and then decided to change it back.

12. kinda wish they could at least use that sprite for Knuckles in Sonic 2.

13. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    well now I can't un-notice that proto!Knuckles has a GIANT head

tbh the old sprites give me Chaotix vibes, not-eye-searingly-pink aside.

14. GoldS

GoldS

Oldbie
    USA
    [​IMG]
    I think this is the most dino-like Knuckles has ever looked.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • List
  15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Or... somebody goofed.

16. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    So you admit there's evidence for a flat earth? :objection:

17. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Well yes, but since they had Sonic's sprites as reference, that's a hell of a goof.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I wonder what these sprites would look like if the head was reversed?

19. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    By my eyes, I think the tail is just as smooth, actually. There aren't any extra frames of animation or anything in this compared to the final, it's just the head in this one moves a lot more naturally and his dreads sway more as he walks, so it looks really good. It's all in the way the head turns. But I guess it was too cartoony for their pseudo-CG style.

20. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019