don't click here

Sonic Month 2019: Sonic 3

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Here's the new Sonic sprites:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 19
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • List
  2. Some of those sonic sprites are wack, man. The swinging motion just doesn't work at all.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    This proto is just gorgeoussss, thank you so much for sharing it with us. Hearing proper renditions of the PC tracks makes me wanna cry. Someone rip the Hydrocity 1 background please ;__; Why the hell did they change it, it's amazing

4. Nibble

Nibble

Oldbie
    I have to say. Sonic's end-of-level pose is just the greatest thing ever.

Many thanks to drx and crew for pulling this off. This has been quite an event!

5. SEGACast

SEGACast

I saw a comment a hour or so ago talking about how the Unused Music from today's prototype sounds a bit like the song Something About You, by Level 42. (You might have to speed the song up by about 1.25 to get a more accurate tempo, as it's slow by default.)

That wouldn't be odd as the song came out in 1985, which was about 9 years before the release of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 in 1994, this would also be interesting due to Ice Cap Zone's final theme being from Hard Times, by The Jetzons.

Hmm, I wonder?

6. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    One thing I noticed is that whatever sprite Sonic is in when he lands on a barrel he is stuck in until you jump off.
    upload_2019-11-16_21-31-10.png

7. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Part of Knuckles' sprites, the rest look final:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 27
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. RikohZX

RikohZX

Now that is one funky looking Knuckles. He looks more like a Sonic 2 rendition or something with that more exaggerated face and lack of S3 shading on anything but his brow.

9. Those sprites are really weird, especially considering that every other time we see him, he's using his final appearance.

10. celebi23

celebi23

This whole month has been fantastic. Capping it off with Sonic 3 was amazing. Thanks to DRX, Hidden Palace and everyone else who helped pull this off! Quick question: do the actual credits screens appear in this version in some way? I know the credits music track does.

11. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    He is most definitely under an NDA, we can assume he is without him needing to disclose that.

When I say I don't believe him, I don't mean that in a bad way. I just mean I don't believe he is legally allowed to reveal the truth here and so he doesn't. I respect his commitment to his legal obligations, but that doesn't mean he's necessarily telling us the truth and we should take that into account.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    • Useful Useful x 9
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

This was an incredible month.

Here's hoping that in the future we can be blessed with something like Sonic Month 2019 again (regardless of how far in the future it is due to the nature of finding prototypes).

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  13. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Next time, I hope to see an S1 proto (or several). Just depends on their luck, I suppose.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Not going to lie, I kinda love these sprites. I kinda prefer them to what we got.

These might prove useful for a Sprite hack idea I had for S3 AIR.

15. I know we have a rating system now, but I wanna say thanks anyway for ripping these.

I kinda love these sprites and if it were maybe a month earlier, I'd half expect someone to finish a sheet in time for the Hacking Contest. Or Sonic 3 A.I.R. In due time, I'm sure.

16. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Supersonic monitor
    upload_2019-11-16_21-51-5.png

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  17. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I think those Knuckles sprites look rather awkward, especially compared to the style of the sprite art in the classic games. I can see why they scrapped them.

18. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  19. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    I'm sorry, but I'm failing to see the connection here. The general similarity? Because past that, I don't see it.