don't click here

Sonic Month 2019: Sonic 3

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Turbohog

Turbohog

What a stream. Thanks to drx, Saz, and everyone else involved. Please drop the donation links again - I'm sure this wasn't cheap.

2. I just wonder if there are any leftovers of LRZ2...

3. Devon

Devon

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Tech Member
    your mom
    What a fucking find.

4. GoldeMan

GoldeMan

Texas
    Absolutely incredible stream! The Carnival Night Act 1 is a jam and that title screen is so beautifully broken, awesome work to everyone involved

5. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    This is the most amazing shit I've ever seen. Sonic 2 gets all the attention, but this was the big scoop for the month. Thank you so much.

6. Xilla

Xilla

Ok my personal theory over the PC music now is that they simply went back to using the original midi files because they didn't have the MJ versions available :p

7. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Okay, now that it's all over and done with. HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT. YOU GUYS. YOU'RE GODDAMN AMAZING.

I grew up with the PC version of S3 in the 90s before I got a Genesis, and it's nice to have validation that the OST I grew up with and preferred turns out to be the real one all along.

8. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Well, that was a fantastic two hours! I can’t believe all of the new unseen stuff in that prototype!

The last two things on my mind are those two final tracks - the second to last one seemed like a credits theme to me, and no idea what the last one was but it was distinctively Jun Senoue and very much like a track that could happily have slotted in to Sonic 3D.

Can’t wait to see you guys breaking this down further. It’s gonna be an exciting end to 2019.

It’s quite clear now that MJ’s involvement is what’s keeping Sonic 3 from being re-released, which is a damn shame, but maybe a lot of us can start trying to feel a bit better about the PC version now.

Lastly, what was up with that Knuckles sprite!?

9. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Bravo. Fantastic showing.

10. VelocitOni

VelocitOni

Almost 10 years of trial membership Member
    Sonic 3's PC music turned out to not only actually be the original canon soundtrack, but CNZ 1, 2, & LBZ 2 absolutely slap my nuts and actually sound GOOD in their original medium...and even more was planned ahead than I ever imagined

What timeline is this.......

11. FBZ's also using some other unused tiles - the prototype FBZ is using 22.5 degree slopes that are unused in the final.

We are in the best timeline.

12. RankoChan

RankoChan

I'm bored, k? Member
    Some random RPG project.
    Sonic 3 & Knuckles is one of my favorite games of all time. It's nice to finally see a snapshot of its early development after all this time.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Flygon

Flygon

Absolutely incredible. Y'all have no idea how vindicating it is for the PC version tracks to be confirmed as the original official tracks.
    A lot of us grew up on those!

14. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    The same one we've always been in, of course. But man, what a shock to learn it was the OG stuff and not just independent and after-the-fact replacements.

PC OST supremacy! I never liked the Genesis tracks and now I feel validated. :P

15. Jen

Jen

#lapidot Moderator
    England
    Various drawings
    Oh hi again, Retro, long time no see! It's only been... a year? (Whoops)

So yeah, this is absolutely fucking amazing. This is the prototype that I've been waiting for, for years. Thanks so very much to everyone involved with this, I'm at a loss for words right now. Wonderful work on tracking this one down!

The PC music was probably the biggest surprise - what a plot twist, it was the original music. It actually sounds really nice using the proper sound fonts, especially Carnival Night

16. SSUK

SSUK

Oldbie
    It's pretty nuts what this prototype contains. Sonic 2 sprites. Original AIZ opening, albeit it's really messed up. Early music tracks, early layouts, early Knuckles sprite at the start of AIZ... This is a treasure trove, I'm sure. Big shout out to drx and everyone involved, this is some really awesome stuff.

17. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    It's nuts that this is only a month out from the final build. I guess it goes to show either how quickly they worked and/or how much stuff was actually done weeks or even months before being implemented.

It's clear now that the next holy grail we should seek are internal dev assets and not just plain builds.

Thank you so much for fulfilling my childhood dreams, everyone involved in HPZ dumps!

18. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Very exciting to see this. I actually thought the big surprise might be Sonic 1, but this was pleasing all the same.

On the music, I was also very surprised to hear Collection music. However, I think everyone is jumping the gun just a bit. To my knowledge, all the "this song was done by MJ, and that one, etc." is based purely on speculation. Correct me if I missed something, but all we know is his songs were erased. We don't know which ones. For all you know, the Collection tracks were his. And the fact that the replacements sound MJ-esque could be simply his songwriters.

Prove to me that I am wrong.

19. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Someone in the chat (didn't catch who) pointed out that the 2P Sonic sprites seem to be based on the final Sonic sprites. That must mean they were all drawn already but they hadn't had time to put them in.

20. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Original post edited with the links. Enjoy!