don't click here

Shenmue 3

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Saidian, Jun 16, 2015.

1. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Did anyone else get 14 emails about the launch trailer in their inbox? Or was it just me?

2. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    I got 6, most people got around 15. Apparently the problem was on Kickstarter's end.

Launch trailer:

3. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Yup, I got them too. Slightly annoying, but on the plus side, I got my tracking number!

4. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    I haven't gotten my tracking number yet RIP.

5. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Not everyone has, but did you get the email to confirm / lock in your shipping address a few weeks back? I never got the email but I did it anyway when I found out they were going out.

I got my tracking number on Tuesday but they haven't dispatched them yet, that won't happen until tomorrow at the earliest. They've been packing up orders throughout the week. They will only be sending the game initially, any higher tier bonuses will be sent separately. Some stuff is ready, but other things like the physical soundtrack haven't been finalized yet.

6. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    Yeah I did, so I'm not too worried.

7. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    I'm guessing yesterday's update explains the problem? You don't have a PS4, right? There was a manufacturing delay for the PC version and they'll be sending digital codes to physical PC backers to make up for it. PC physical will be shipped when they can. Some other items will also be shipped later.

My PS4 copy was released to the postal service a few hours ago. Hoping I'll get it a day early, but if not no big deal.

8. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    I tracked mine and it's also out in the mail. It's showing a delivery date of Monday so I could actually get it early.

And yet I still haven't beaten the first two games... lol

9. Xilla

Xilla

I fail to understand....I begin to see! Member
    My Royal Mail tracking says delivery between 8:30 and 10:30am Tuesday.

I'll have to be ready for it since my postman tends to stick the "You weren't in" card through the letterbox and for some reason they've put my Twitter/PSN username on it rather than my name :V

10. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Glad it's not just me in this exact boat :v: I'll probably pop it in for a bit Monday evening just to poke at it, but I'll leave an honest shot at it for when I've finished 1&2.

11. I don't even remember what I backed but I'm not even going to get my item. Wish I could get my money back. Oh well...

12. Xilla

Xilla

I fail to understand....I begin to see! Member
    Well......that's my copy arrived!

18 years is a bloody long time for Royal Mail to deliver something :V

13. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Same, my copy also arrived safely. Currently waiting for the 14GB patch to download, then I'll be recording a 4K (or 1080p, if the game doesn't support it) video of the backer credits before I start. The only videos we have thus far are from people who captured from the PS4 built in recorder.

14. Yuzu

Yuzu

I wonder how long it will take for us to get our digital codes? I guess we'll get them at some point tomorrow. Was kinda hoping we'd receive it early, so we could preload the game.

Oh well.

15. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    I'M IN THE CREDITS! I CAN BE HAPPY NOW! :ruby:

16. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    The backer pages now list unlock times for each version of the digital codes, if you still have your URL from a previous email. It's not going to be until tomorrow morning, before noon US time.

17. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Got mine today also! Going to see if I can beat the first game tonight and then fire this one up.

EDIT: Beat the first game (see my post in the Beaten in 2019 thread for thoughts on that), then fired up III, let it copy the disc/download a patch, and played for about 5-10 minutes. My initial thoughts:

• The graphics are fucking beautiful. So glad to be playing this on a 4K TV.
    • Was surprised by the difficulty setting. I picked recommended, but it's nice to have the option to change it during the game.
    • The voice acting is noticeably better, but there still are some awkward dialogue exchanges/responses from Ryo that don't quite match up which just makes it feel... well, like a Shenmue game.
    • The controls are MUCH fucking better than the first game. Looking around and examining things up close is very smooth and easy. No idea how the fighting controls work yet.
    • So THAT'S what's on the back of Ryo's jacket...
    • No fucking clue what's going on story-wise but I can find it out later. There is a recap movie available on the main menu if one wants to watch it.
    • Apparently there's some herb gathering system in this. There's free maps to help you find them at the start. Haven't tried to mess with this yet.
    • You can now fast travel to certain locations/times to advance the story so you no longer have to wait around.
    • As discussed in the past, there's no option to use your Shenmue II save as a based for this version. I guess it was too complicated for them to do that?

In short, I like it. Too bad I gotta wait until I beat II to play it. =/ I'm gonna be so busy...

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  18. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Haven't checked out the English voice acting for Shenmue III yet. Since replaying 1 and 2 to death in English, I've been doing JP voice playthroughs for the HD Collection - it certainly changes the tone of the game to be a bit less campy, whether that's a good thing or not is up to each individual person. :V

So after I finish Shenmue III with JP voices, I'll probably do an English voice run. It's one of those things where I don't think there's a bad choice, which is kinda odd, as you'd think something so JP ingrained as Shenmue wouldn't work so well dubbed into English, yet... somehow it works?

19. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    I feel that this might be the last time we ever get a major "sega" game as a physical release on store shelves (excluding limitedrungames.com and not including the sonic games). If we ever get a Virtua Fighter 6 or OutRun 3, they will probably be digital downloads only(?)

In many ways, it was quite impressive to co-ordinate delivery to kickstarter backers and also to store shelves for a global worldwide(?) release

Here are some picture from the store shelves near me in dinky old Australia for posterity:

EDIT: Also, does this belong on segaretro.org? I guess it isn't "technically" a sega game.

eb games:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

jb hifi
    [​IMG]

JB Hifi has an exclusive steel case freebie:

[​IMG]

Kickstarter delivery, Australia
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  20. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    There's a Sega logo on the back of the box, and Deep Silver partnered with Sega of Japan for distribution in Japan since it's their first title there. Not to mention Final Take off from Afterburner II plays if you get Excellent on Wood Chopping enough, or the Virtua Fighter posters. Oh, and there's a Sega Saturn in one of the desk drawers in Man Yuan temple.
    It may not be a Sega title officially, but there's plenty of Sega in it.