don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    I, uh... what? What does this mean? This isn't how trigger warnings work.

Did anyone even say this about you? Where is this coming from?

2. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    You didn't ruffle any feathers with me, I just tried to constructively explain why I think your stance on people's time and money is wrong. :)

May I suggest some self-reflection? Perhaps you ought to reconsider what you define as "ruffling feathers", because explaining disagreements with you in a constructive manner isn't something generally associated with "ruffling feathers".

Debates and disagreements are kind of a basic, natural thing, which are not inherently toxic or aggressively argumentative. Classing level-headed disagreements and counter-arguments as "ruffling feathers" seems like an over-reach to me.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  3. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    So Paramount UK released a version of the trailer with some slightly extended, and different scenes to the international one:

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  4. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Getting dunked on by like 6 people in a row probably wasn't very fun, but I don't think you offended anyone. That's just how people communicate here.
    I mean, have you seen the Dust Hill Discussion thread? Shit's pretty tense. And yet I don't think people in the thread are arch-enemies or anything like that.

5. gamerz31w

gamerz31w

Banned
    Do you think all of live-action movies based on video games are failures like I mentioned before?

6. Nova

Nova

How does he know who The Rock is?

I think both trailers have pretty much spoiled how the end of the movie is going to go and how Robotnik ends up in Sonic's world.

7. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

Lyon, France
    It depends of what you mean by "based on video games".
    I don't think I've ever seen a great adaption of an existing ip. Some people would argue that the first Silent Hill movie was good, I guess... but expect for that, I can't think of anything.
    A movie with video games as a theme? Bunch of great ones. Wreck it Ralph is the first one that comes to mind. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is amazing. A bit of an old one, but I heard Tron was good too.

8. MH MD

MH MD

Ace Attorney movie is great imo, but it was japanese and not a lot of people have seen it

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Flare

Flare

I just don't think they have a handle on it yet. I do think they are learning that they need to treat the IPs better, (the redesign here, some of the interviews about the Mario film etc). I doubt the Sonic film came about because someone had a great Sonic idea, more that they wanted the license and had to make something around it.

Thats not to say they aren't learning from it. I don't think its a case of "video game movies = bad" sort of deal, just a "recognisable IP = money".

Also learning this lesson doesn't mean they suddenly become Pixar. It's more of a they need to learn what will make more money. If they knew the best film to put out that would make a ton of money then they would.

10. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    @gamerz31w Are you confusing topics? Nobody's said anything about Star Wars in this thread as of late. You're also making the mistake of describing films that are fully animated (Incredibles, Ralph, Angry Birds, etc.) as live-action movies.

To respond to your question--personally speaking, I think the Angry Birds movie was actually okay. But then again, I'm pretty sure that's the only one I remember enough about it to hold an opinion. I recall watching the Super Mario Bros. and Mortal Kombat films years ago, but I can't really say much from them off the top of my head.

Meanwhile in terms of general reception, a lot of Hollywood adaptations are written off as absolute stinkers. While some videogame movies are considered good when compared to their competition in the subgenre (the first Mortal Kombat and Silent Hill films to name a few examples), we've only recently started getting videogame films broadly considered to be of acceptable quality (Detective Pikachu and Angry Birds 2).

11. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

Lyon, France
    I did actually. One thing that I did like about it is that they didn't try to be too fan-servicy with it. Since Ace Attorney is a bit niche, I guess they didn't feel the need to appeal to the broader gaming community with some cringy references and easter eggs. So, kudos to that.

That being said, trying to cram an entire visual novel into one movie is one hell of an exercise and it shows. Why would you want to watch the movie when you can take your time playing the game, and enjoy a way more fleshed out narrative and character development?

They should've done an original story like the manga. That would've allowed them to truly use the strengths of the medium. Instead we got Ace Attorney 1, expect not as good.

To give Paramount some credit, the Sonic movie doesn't try to rip off a pre existing Sonic story, so there's always that, right? Now whether the orignal story they came up with will be good or not, that another matter. (spoiler: probably won't)

12. Wafer

Wafer

Find me on Twitter instead Member
    Erm. Only two of those are based on video games, one of them isn't a Hollywood flick, and neither of them is live action. I have no idea what you're getting at with Star Wars.

I think you could make an argument that the first and maybe second Resident Evil films are at least okay. At the time of their release, they definitely stood out as Hollywood not completely screwing up a game movie. The question depends on how you define "failure", "live action" and "video game movie", I guess.

I'd argue that Tron doesn't count as a game movie, but I'd also argue that they're both good films.

13. Nova

Nova

[​IMG]

14. Flare

Flare

I like the overall story. Not original, it's like ET on Red Bull but it treats the character for what he is while not trying to overcomplicate it for new audiences.

15. Wafer

Wafer

Back on topic, ugh, what was Paramount UK even doing with the SFX here? "It's a video game film, so PLAY 8 BIT SOUNDS EVERY SECOND OR SO. MAKE IT NINTENDO"

16. MH MD

MH MD

They only really covered 2 cases and did their best to make it coherent and i think it worked, know people who didn't play the game but still enjoyed it fine
    of course the game is superior, but i find that mostly true in relation to any videogame adaptation, only exception i can think of right now is Lady Layton anime, which was fleshed out way more than the game

17. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I love the international trailer. I'm in danger of getting hyped!

Am I part of the Fab 5?

18. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I saw the film on a plane and honestly, had I not played through the game already I think I'd have been confused, the thing went lightning fast to cram in as much as they could into the 3 hour runtime, given the game would have easily been 4 or 5 times longer than that. I enjoyed it, but it does have problems with pacing.

Also, regarding not seeing this film in cinemas: why should I financially reward something, no matter the cost, that I know I'll hate? Financially rewarding things encourages more of it to be made, and if I do not want more of it I do not want to do this. I have the exact same feelings regarding paying for DRM. It's not the amount, it's the principle.

19. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

No one should bother seeing a movie they don't think they'll like. If Steven Spielberg made a movie about my actual living dog but the trailer didn't interest me, I'd save my 20 bucks.

20. Wafer

Wafer

I think saying categorically that nobody should watch a movie they won't like is probably just as bad as saying that somebody absolutely has to watch a film they won't like. Trailers are designed to sell tickets, and that often stands at odds to accurately depicting the final product.

Like, who are we, the movie cops? Let people make up their own mind whether a film is worth their time/money.