don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Linkabel

Linkabel

Does this work?

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I mean I was skeptical at first about the non mono eye but I think the white patch between is the perfect compromise. I'm now part of the pro-two eye camp for the movie.

As for Sonic's main design? Nah I like the mono eye keep it. I think the reason it works better here is because Sonic has more details in the movie so it blends better. Sonic's main designs are more simplistic. The solution for the movie wouldn't work for the games.

3. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Concerning this portrayal of Robotnik, I can’t speak for all his origin stories, but as far as the Archie origin story goes, this appears to be similar. As I recall (and I am probably messing this up), Robotnik was originally Ivo Kintobor, and the top general for the army in The Kingdom of Acorn, or something like that… Even the little mustache was similar to that in the movie. Honestly, I prefer the idea of Robotnik following Sonic back to his universe, and being the only human in existence. I never liked the idea of humans coexisting in Sonic’s world.

Sonic is nothing if not a dirty whore, so perhaps if this movie were to be successful enough, it might prove feasible to follow up with a sequel in Sonic’s universe. Although realistically this probably wouldn’t happen, as movies of this nature tend to turn less profit successively. Of course, it would be interesting to see Jim Carey inevitably replaced with Will Sasso.

4. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    I'll be there at midnight on Valentine's Day!

I mean, I would've been, anyway. I've been waiting for this movie ever since reading about it in Sonic Grams about 25 years ago.

But I'll be going in with significantly higher expectations. I think at best, it might be a lot like the 2017 Power Rangers movie. A fun movie, with great action and plenty of deep cuts for longtime fans to appreciate, but maaaaybe a little too generic to resonate with anyone outside the fandom as more than an enjoyable popcorn flick. And UNlike the Power Rangers movie, that design actually captures the appeal of the character!

Tyson Hesse has once again manifested the odd juxtaposition of adorable badass that's at Sonic's core. I daresay I might prefer it over the modern game design!

And with apologies to those of you across the pond, as an American, yep... that's exactly what Sonic's personality is supposed to be in my book. :P

5. This looks like a completely different movie! I'm definitely taking my daughter to see it, we had a great time watching the trailer! I don't need the movie to be awesome and fix everything that's wrong with the franchise, I just want it to be fun and look good.

I hadn't thought of it like that, but I guess you're right! The new movie design is taking a lot of cues from classic Sonic, which's great!

6. I honestly don't hate the blue arms. To me at least, it makes more sense than his furless man-arms in his canon design.

7. Prototype

Prototype

...was that a Three Stooges movie reference?

I like you.

8. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I'm in this camp too, I was really pleasantly surprised this morning.

9. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Holy crap, this movie actually looks fun now. Not the "so bad it's hilarious" fun from the original, but actually, genuinely FUN. Even the trailer music choice is a huge improvement.

10. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

I don't think this has been mentioned in this thread yet.

But I've done a few vids on the Sonic Trailer today so as a consequence had the chance to really look at the trailer frame by frame in a video edito... and found a few odd things in the motel scene, which I guess are either paid for product placements or just a weird stock image choice.

If you look at the TV on the wall, you see that they're watching Gopher Broke, which is a short film that both Jeff Fowler and Tim Miller, which... Most people have noticed.

But if you keep watching the TV, Sonic cycles the channels and the add when you look at it frame by frame you can make out the adverts and if they are paid product placements, it's... a bit weird considering the movie and the companies.

The first one appears to be for a random furniture company, can just about make out the word 'Hardwood' and what looks like a sofa.

The next add is for a bottle of Ketchup, it might be Heinz but really unsure.

The final add is the hardest to see since one of the 'Sonic's' runs in view... But it's a company logo that slowly fades into shot... Enterprise Car Rental.

Also in the baseball scene, Sonic wears a red and green cap, the Green cap has the GH initials stitched in, that's obvious "Green Hills". The red cap is the hardest to spot, but there are a few frames where it's clear, the initials are SU. Other than Sonic Unleashed or Sonic Underground, I got nothing for this one.

11. Pengi

Pengi

Everything about the trailer is a huge improvement over the original. So much more fun and energetic. Which one better conveys the spirit of the full movie remains to be seen, but I can't help but wonder what other changes might have been made these past few months, aside from the character model. Wasn't there talk about Sonic being stuck on Earth since he was a baby? And listings for a Baby Sonic plush? It seems like that angle has been abandoned completely, and rightly so - that would have made Sonic a stranger to his own world and someone who'd spent his whole life in hiding, which just wouldn't be Sonic. I wouldn't be surprised if the entire Green Hill Zone footage is a brand new, post-backlash addition.

12. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Tyson has ascended and I'm going to miss our coexisting on the same plane of reality. Movie looks really fun now.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  13. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Bless Tyson for his work.

Still looks like it's gonna be a far-removed mess of a film (and the final design still ain't my cuppa) but at least it graduated from dumpster fire to dumb fun popcorn romp.

14. Fadaway

Fadaway

You know what? I like it. Disregard what I said earlier. There are two sides to every coin. This does look like a fun, bonkers movie. I am drinking right now and therefore more in my right mind and this looks kind of cool. I can see this as being alright from a certain angle. But, I wish it could incorporate more actual canon. If it can be a box office smash for kids and come back, there might be hope. BTW Jim Carrey.

15. Fadaway

Fadaway

More of a David Lynch fan myself. So, my opinion comes from ridden hard and hung up wet.

16. Fadaway

Fadaway

It is OK to be positive.

17. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Speaking of new Sonic design promotional materials, I found that alongside another one in a Tweet courtesy of KeyszCi Ortiz 火, which sports Sonic in a very similar pose to the recently leaked stand.

[​IMG]

18. corneliab

corneliab

Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that Sonic's design in this would have been improved so completely. It's unreal that they got Hesse onboard to right the ship. Totally unexpected.

Between this and Carrey Robotnik I really want to like this movie. Actually looking forward to it now!

19. Turbohog

Turbohog

I'm pretty sure I called the people who thought Tyson was working on the redesign delusional several pages back. Glad to be wrong.

I mean, the move will still be ass. But congrats to Tyson and great job! Very happy for you and your success.

20. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    I really hope this movie does well now. Those poor ass VFX artists must have been working their tails off to get this done. Bravo.