don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Oh boy the trailer blew up. Hit #1 trending on Twitter in the States.

2. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Because they seem to think he's a kinda cocky blue cunt lol. I will say though, while he's a bit too cocky in the west, I really don't know what his personality is supposed to be in Japan. It's very tame and almost nonexistent half the time.

Actually I've been wondering if some of their plot points come straight out of that ancient "Sonic bible" that was created in the early days to give Sonic some western lore. The small middle of nowhere town and him playing baseball by himself seem to ring a bell for some reason and I want to say it's because it was from that.

3. He sounds very cocky as well.

4. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Japan: Carefree.
    America: Snark.
    UK: Asshole.

Also, Paramount made the first trailer private. Not that it will do them much good, unless they start trying to DMCA everyone who used footage of the original.

5. They won't because that would be a mistake. It's an easy way to get sued if you strike the certain people.

6. Flare

Flare

Least it has been consistent. He's always been a Bart Simpson stuck the 90s... for better or for worse when we have our way with him. Heh. I assume it is just how markets relate to him, like how Crash Bandicoot is depicted in Japan versus the US.

Yeah they've also cleaned up their Twitter. Don't think they are trying to cover up bad press as they are making references to the redesign, but its probably just cleaner for their marketing/social team to only have the latest stuff out there.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That sounds about right personality wise lol. And I bet they just made the 1st trailer private so as to not confuse people who stumble upon the Sonic trailers. The 1st one now has an outdated design and a date that's no longer relevant. Why keep it up?

8. Vangar

Vangar

If anyone out there who worked on this movie is reading this, can you please make a copy of the original movie with the terrible sonic as a backup somewhere. You don't need to release it, not for years. But I want to see it one day.

As for the new trailer, I can't believe this, but it actually looks watchable now.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That'd make a good DVD bonus tbh.

EDIT: Holy shit Yuji Naka on Twitter basically said he wanted just this - a DVD extra featuring Sonic's original crusty ass design.

I see he too wanted to watch the shitpost that is the original cut.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  10. Flare

Flare

That's if they ever had the full film with creepy Sonic in the first place... :ssh:

Also, this trailer music that we will probably never hear in the film, but made me get goosebumps?! Haha.

11. Turbohog

Turbohog

As others have said, the model is much better (still not perfect, but whatever).

However, the movie will still be trash. Sonic's personality is definitely not right and the acting really isn't great.

12. Sonic's personality is like a Tails-less AoStH and a run down of it as well. It should have been better

13. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Will give credit where credit is due—this is a better trailer than the last trailer and does a superior job at selling the movie. I could actually understand casual fans and general moviegoers wanting to see the movie now based on the new trailer.

Whereas the first trailer was aimless and made its concept just tired, this second trailer goes all the way to highlight Sonic’s speed abilities and personality more to play up the film’s comedy and the trailer music is appropriately high energy.

It really does feel like some newly-hired newbie marketing group who had never made a trailer before were responsible for that first trailer, and Paramount showed them the door while poaching another team with actual experience marketing for the second trailer. Either that or the newbie team went back to the drawing board and tried again with a unprecedented amount of actual effort this time around.

Now, with all that said: I’m still not convinced this is going to be a good movie. I actually imagine the first trailer, in its ineptitude, accidentally did a more accurate job in showing the movie we are going to get, while this second trailer put in some serious grease and polishing to shine the movie up and make this film as presentable as possible. But this second trailer does make look like it could actually be a somewhat fun movie.

(Also, that “movie” Sega logo, having footage from all of their games making a collage of the classic Sega logo, is a bit cute. Even though by Sega’s own words, they have next to nothing to do with the actual production of this movie...)

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Honestly I'd prefer that Sega logo over that weird ass eyeball thing they've been doing on trailers as of late.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    I mean. That's the best Sonic you could possibly have for a movie like this, especially given the context.

But it could be wackier, yes, because Jim Carrey looks very wacky.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    This new design is really growing on me. I know it just came out but I might put this on par with some of the current Modern Sonic designs and it's a lot nicer than Boom Sonic's design. Classic still reigns supreme though.

17. JRokujuushi

JRokujuushi

J64 Member
    GameXplain put out a side-by-side comparison of the common scenes between both trailers.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  18. ^ I've noticed they've changed the tranquilizer gun tip to orange. Safety first! :eng101:

19. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    Facebook has an altered version of the trailer, which appears to be the same as the Latin dub trailer, with the whole "Is the Rock President" line.

Looks like a fun, single watch romp at the very least.

I do like that they're sprinkling it with references to the games. Case in point, the scene where Sonic is toying with the nunchucks, the headband has the title screen banner from the classic games on it:
    [​IMG]

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    The internet right now:

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List