don't click here

Sonic Month 2019: Sonic CD

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by drx, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    Yeah I wouldn't say they didn't bother to "fix" it -- clearly they added the 3D loop right at the start of the present map to wow players from the get-go, but it would have been kind of pointless to design past/future versions of that gimmick, considering it's a one-way obstacle and there aren't even any time travel plates that early in the stage.

The final version of the game even has code that takes away your time plate should you attempt to backtrack to the start of the stage, where the layouts wouldn't match. They very obviously thought this through and decided that having a more impressive opening to the game was worth the minor inconsistency.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  2. Devon

Devon

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Tech Member
    your mom
    Past and bad future say hi.

SPZ1Past_FG.png
    SPZ1Past_BG.png
    SPZ1BadFuture_FG.png
    SPZ1BadFuture_BG.png

• Like Like x 8
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. BSonirachi

BSonirachi

Wiki Sysop
    The only other answer I can think of is that they needed to have a song to play on the Time Attack screen, so they took Collision Chaos' theme thinking "this'll do for the time being".

4. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Another realization that I made today, which someone might have already pointed out before but I didn't notice:

Salad Plain Past is the only stage track that loops and fades out. The rest abruptly stop when they reach their loop point.
    It's just speculation at this point, but perhaps the past tracks were always intended to be sequenced and they just hadn't been implemented yet so the CDDA version is a placeholder?

5. Devon

Devon

your mom
    My guess is that they realized that they didn't want to risk wasting too much CD space, so they decided to go with sequenced tracks for the past music to save a lot on disc space.

6. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    It's also possible that the past mix we have is a demo before it was transferred to PCM samples. It could have always been planned to be that, but they threw this version in the beta because it was available.

7. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    RE the title music - I spotted that straight away as the alternate cut used on Sonic Jam has always annoyed me for not being the "correct" version. I always figured it was a later re-recording they did for quality reasons or something so I did a double-take as soon as I heard it used here. Utter madness!

8. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    I really wish that they kept the earlier version of Palmtree Panic's Past theme, as I strongly prefer it over the final. The slower pace gels better with the melodies in my opinion, and gives an enhanced feeling of a peaceful tropical island.

9. Devon

Devon

your mom
    OK, here's the full map set, assuming I didn't screw any of them up somehow:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 15
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    You've done well.

It's impressive how consistent these maps are (other than act 1 present). The best part of a year separates this Yuusei Sega World build and the final game, but the changes are minor at best.

Compare this to the Nick Arcade build of Sonic 2 to the final game, where every level is significantly different (not to mention the scrapped stages like Hidden Palace). Guess they had a plan and stuck with it.

11. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    [​IMG]
    I believe this was used in Tidal Tempest, not sure what it's doing in S a l a d P l a i n s though.

Each zone/act has the same Nemesis archives in the same addresses except for the archives that contain the tileset and level mappings. There aren't any Kosinski archives. Uncompressed wise, there are some unused sprites for Sonic that I've seen on the HPZ discord. Chibi Sonic is still in the game, for instance.

There were a couple more weird looking art tiles from the Nemesis archives that are included, but I'll let someone else get them out. lol

@Novedicus <3. Now we need the level layouts ripped from the other protossss

12. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  13. Devon

Devon

your mom
    I'll let someone else handle it. I'm already super drained from this alone. Making the object definitions in particular was a hassle due to the weird oddities that Sonic CD's code does (like use a subtype to set the X flip flag for some goddamned reason...)

14. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    If anyone wants MP3/FLAC versions of PPz past CDDA I've put links on the video description :)

• Like Like x 8
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  15. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    I was contemplating that too, with the animals running around and such, but there are still Future signposts...

Re: Sonic 1 code, would this explain the sprite rotation behavior on slopes? But if CD is based on REV01, it should be fixed, because that version fixed the slope behavior for slanting Sonic's sprite.

16. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    In case anyone notices this: The palette differences are caused by incorrect color scaling. The S1 sprite uses RGB(224,224,224) for bright white, while the SCD v0.02 sprite uses RGB(255,253,255). (Not sure why Green is slightly lower there.)

17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    One's coming from a Kega Fusion screenshot, the other from an old sprite sheet (probably). Every emulator seems to have different opinions about what the palette should be.

18. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    In case you missed it, some of the discs and sleeves are interesting:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Close up of the cheat codes:
    [​IMG]

19. Zapata

Zapata

Pending Member
    this theme about the prototype 0.2 of sonic cd, im trying to load it in the emulator Kega Fusion. But im stuck in the music player part. anyone knows how in the stream it was loaded to the game?

20. Xilla

Xilla

It's similar to that wierd 6290 remix from Gems Collection that features some of the samples used for the unused "Loops". I always assumed it was made especially for that collection, only for it to show up in a Japanese SEGA promo video showcasing Sonic CD from 93.