don't click here

Mega Drive / Genesis Mini

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by 360, Apr 8, 2018.

1. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    I'm curious as to why CD and 32X games weren't included with the add-on. Since people are buying it anyway, surely this would add incentive. Would this be difficult to do from a software/hardware standpoint?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  2. Pengi

Pengi

Is the Japanese version of Sonic 1 included? Or is it the REV00 version no matter what?

3. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Setting the language to Japanese does get you the JP version of Sonic 1.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    The difficulty for CD is the size of the games, the difficulty for 32X is the utter lack of decent library plus the poor existing state of emulation.

5. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    32x emulation, poor? What's poor about it?

6. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    Has anyone managed to get the included 3 button USB pads to work nice with Sonic Mania on PC?

I had a little try last night, and couldn't for the life of me work out where I was going wrong.
    My Windows 10 install recognises the pad as "3B controller" in Bluetooth & other devices, and "HID compliant Controller" in device manager. Using the Steam controller mapper won't allow me to map Down and Right on the D-pad when I map Up and Left (and vice versa), and x360ce just throws up an error on boot.

7. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Maybe it's changed in the last couple of years but even non-commercial emulation of 32X wasn't fantastic the last time I played, outside of a few titles. Honestly, considering how long paid emulator platforms have taken to get decent MD emulation I think asking for 32X is a bit much.

It also doesn't help that the vast majority of the 32X library was better done elsewhere, so the effort involved in setting it up isn't worth it.

8. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Any news on sales? Inventory doesn't seem to be selling out anywhere. Not sure if that's more anticipation of demand compared to Nintendo, or if they're not exactly flying off the shelves.

9. Powpuck

Powpuck

I fear the average Joe Q. Sixpack isn't at all aware that this isn't the same mini console that AtGames has been putting out.

10. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Nintendo only releases its retro games on Virtual Console, which you need a Nintendo Console to play. The games are also way overpriced. So the Nintendo mini line was a good proposition for those casual gamers who wanted to relive their youth without taking on the expenses of a Nintendo system (I know the first Mini wave ended up going for crazy money, but once stock stabilized, the prices became reasonable).

Sega games are available on nearly every platform. They've done many 40+ game bundles, so they aren't as expensive as Virtual Console. On mobile, they are free to pay. A casual game player wanted to relive their Sega youth probably has done so several times already.

11. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Possibly this.

Let's not forget that Nintendo fans don't know shit about Sega and that when YET ANOTHER AtGames console came out relatively close to one of the Nintendo minis that everyone turned retarded (even places like IGN) thinking that the AtGames console was an in-house Sega thing and making comparison videos while calling Sega shit once again because they literally did not know that the AtGames consoles had been coming out pretty much every single year since like, the year 2000.

12. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
    Bought mine at my town's Worten store for €79.99 on October 9... yesterday they dropped the price to €71,49... does this means that they are selling bad ?... or they achieved a satisfactory number of sales and they dropped the price because is just the right thing to do in that "scenario"?

13. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    Have you tried JoyToKey?

14. Jason

Jason

If it's like the 6 button controllers, you may need to hold the Start button down for 5 seconds to swap XInput and DInput.

15. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    I was thinking of using that, but was holding off in case there was something more for controllers proper, rather than remapping keyboard buttons.
    That's certainly worth a shot, and I should have released this through owning a 8BitDo M30 Bluetooth pad, which has a similar setup to make xinput work.

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hey, Game no Kanzume also got its own cartridge label for those gacha thingies:
    [​IMG]
    Would be nice to have a hi-res scan of it.

17. Jason

Jason

18. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    I really don't think it is. They've been plentiful on every retail shelf I've seen. I'm guessing there've just been too many Mini Genes-i over the years, and even to a general gamer who might be interested, the $30 Genesis collection sounds like a much better value.

Plus, the remaining Sega Faithful definitely aren't nearly as numerous at this point as those stupid Nintendrones. :P In other words, the SNES Classic would sell to older fans who grew up with the SNES, _plus_ tons of younger Nintendo fans who want to see what they missed. Sega hasn't made many new fans of its hardware _since_ the Genesis, so they've only got the first group.

19. Gryson

Gryson

This is a very informal, likely inaccurate way of comparing sales, but I'm going to do it anyway. The metric is number of Amazon reviews.

On Amazon.com:
    NES Classic: 2,649
    SNES Classic: 2,402
    PlayStation Classic: 811
    Genesis Mini: 327

On Amazon.co.jp:
    Famicom Classic: 892
    Super Famicom Classic: 667
    PlayStation Classic: 270
    Mega Drive Mini: 255 (combining four separate listings)

Of course, the Genesis Mini has only been out for two months and hasn't yet had a Christmas, so it will go up.

I'd say the Mega Drive Mini is doing better in Japan than in other countries, but that was the focus of their marketing efforts. Stores had special displays and such that made it much more noticeable to casual consumers.

20. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    Mega Drive Tower Mini
    File:Mega_Drive_Mini_Tower_JP_Booklet.pdf

https://segaretro.org/index.php?tit...ve_AU_console_box_scans&action=edit&redlink=1
    File:Mega_Drive_Mini_AU_Manual.pdf

You're welcome.

Note: I still have an A2 poster to scan for the Tower Mini. My first go at scanning it on an A3 scanner missed the seam that joins the two halves.

Note 2: It's neat that they retained authentic catalogue numbers for the mini - the European version is "MK16010" and the Australian variant is "MK16010-03"

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List