don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    [​IMG]
    Because this.

2. I don't get it

3. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I’d chalk the fan film design as more of a fault of bad stylistic choices and a lack of budget to make the animation/rendering look good. The Sonic 2006 concept art of giving the characters realistic fur looked much better than that; namely because all of Sonic’s body had fur so everything looks more consistent. Whereas the fan film inexplicably made Sonic’s head/spikes made up of actual spines for some reason while the rest of him was fur.

[​IMG]

As for the rumored new design...it does look better than what they had before. Mainly because they actually picked one source for the design (the game design) and built the new design around that. The original design meanwhile was some sort of mix-and-match cartoony game hedgehog/realistic hedgehog/realistic humanoid abomination made in a Frankenstein’s lab of focus groups who had not a fucking pelota what they were doing.

The only weird thing about the new design is keeping Sonic’s arms blue. Between this movie and Boom, I’d really like to ask around why American executives keep insisting on this for their Sonic redesigns.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Off topic but this design always confused me because if that was concept art for 06 then why does it look almost exactly like the Unleashed model only with fur? Hell he even has side mouth.

Anyways, if this is the actual design it looks a lot better. Still don't get the blue arms but at least he's not horrifying anymore.

5. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I wish all the no-name, click baity news sites (like this one) would wait until confirmation before reporting about the NEW OFFICIAL SONIC REDESIGN OH LORDY WOW. The only "proof" is "my friend works at Paramount," which we all know is freakin' bogus. Come on.

That said, if it was real, I could buy it. It's just different enough to be believable (biggest changes are the face and added gloves), as a total overhaul would just be too expensive I think.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    If it's real, it's still bad. Just because it's better than it was doesn't make it good. Vomit is more palatable to eat than dog shit, doesn't make it desirable to eat.

7. Billy

Billy

RIP Oderus Urungus Member
    Colorado, USA
    Indie games
    My guess is that this was "leaked" to sneakily get feedback from people online. /conspiracy theory

8. It's a prototype render for the pre-rendered cutscenes made by Blur Studio (same animation studio that's animating Sonic for the movie, in fact), which did use the side mouth and had an overall less uncanny and more cartoony look, unlike the in-game models.

9. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Sonic having everything furry except for those 2 parts just makes me think he shaves his arms and 'mouth area' - I'm certainly glad they didn't go down this route!

So on to the 'leaked' photos, it seems to have given Sonic a 'plushy' kind of look now, especially when you look at the face.

At least his body proportions are better, and he's now got gloves. But yeah, those blue arms still don't suit him.

I've just noticed something about the 'side' view: the inside of his ears aren't orange/beige[?], but they are in the front view.

10. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Hur Dur Blue Arms. Retro is nothing if not good at missing the forest for the trees. The real problem is that this movie, like all the games with blue armed Sonic, will just be bad.

11. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I think you're the one missing something.

Everyone KNOWS the movie will be bad. The least they could do after the horrendous reveal of the design they went with is to get the colours right on the redesign.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    I'm still unironically excited to see what Jim Carrey does with Robotnik. That's about it, though.

13. AsuharaMoon

AsuharaMoon

kakyoin did you lay this egg Member
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Sonic Rocket, & others
    It kinda seems the film is already done at this point (and for good), as one of the latin-american spanish dub's cast began recording today.

14. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    It would definitely look wrong if the arms in that weren't blue. I really don't understand the sentiment that a redesign can't have blue arms, especially after we've had Sonic Boom around for more than 5 years. I guess that's just how it is and will always be whether or not it's a full redesign or if it's shorter spines on a model or green eyes.

If this is it or close to it, people will be fine with it. Especially when they expressly announce Hesse is involved.

Still getting all the merch from this I can. This is exciting.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Boom Sonic is basically dead, and 5 out of 25 years of blue arms should not mean blue arms are the standard.

Blue arms look dumb for Sonic.

16. Blue arms throw off the color balance and before Boom it was mostly associated with bootleg merchandise and coloring errors, so naturally it looks bad to a lot of Sonic fans, myself included. New design or not, blue arms or not; all I know for sure is that this movie is going to be a dumpster fire.

17. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Why on earth would it look wrong if the arms were actually visible against the rest of the body, like they're supposed to by being peach?

18. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    You're right. I've seen the light, and that light is blue (arms)
    [​IMG]
    MUCH BETTER.

Nah, I think having the arms contrast with the body makes a big difference. Having too much of the same one colour starts to throw things off, and as seen above, it's not a necessarily a design trait exclusive to Sonic.
    But fingers crossed the movie turns out good before we start worrying about things like this too much :thumbsup:

19. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Ya'll forgeting about the superior design here:
    [​IMG]
    Tan legs Sonic ftw.

20. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    the day Sonic took off his pants. :V

Actually, it's kinda interesting, the way the aethetic with Arm colour doesn't seem to apply to the legs so much. I feel like it almost comes down to using the colours to almost imply clothing. With Tan Arms, you imagine Sonic wearing something short-sleeved with some trousers on. Having everything one colour suddenly makes Sonic look like he's wearing a big onsie/blue Tingle outfit (I am not one to judge on this matter however-)