don't click here

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz Remake (Switch, PS4, PC)

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I love the stupid comments people are leaving on Twitter whining that it's classic Sonic instead of modern, implying that Sega's trying to snub modern when it really comes down to a design choice.

Also I feel like they only refer to classic Sonic as... well classic Sonic when he and modern coexist in the same game (also merchandise). Otherwise he's just Sonic.

2. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    My head canon is these are Special Stages for a Sonic game that doesn't exist, and generally those are reserved for Classic Sonic :V.

3. MH MD

MH MD

4. That actually looks pretty fun? I haven't followed the Monkey Ball games closely, but I think I might pick this up.

5. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
  6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    And the game is out to mediocre reviews. Not shocking, it's banana blitz after all but with no motion controls and Sonic. Consensus seems to be it's a good port but why'd they port this one?

Eh I'll fetch it eventually when I have money

7. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

I'm surprised they ported this game in the first place. It's not like having better controls would magically fix the pathetic level design or bad boss fight designs.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I can think of 3 reasons why they picked this game to remaster over the others.

1. Banana Blitz sold very well on the Wii as it was a launch title
    2. It's easy. It's a good game for newcomers, and since this series has laid dormant for over a decade basically it might be good to reintroduce players to an easier game (add Sonic to lure in new players)
    3. The good Monkey ball games (1 and 2) would require more effort to bring up to code. The art style changed completely, the developer was different, and it's a harder game in general. Why not test the waters with a game that just needs a shader and a slight coat of paint? If this does well maybe we'll see more, maybe even a 1 and 2 remake.

9. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    The sole reason why not 1 and 2 is that Banana Blitz seems to stand out a little bit more. Should have included a download code for 1 and 2 though. :ssh:

10. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    1 and 2 would have to have all the Dole stuffed stripped out. Also 1 had a Gamecube level that was taken out in Deluxe so there would be no perfect version.

11. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    That was from 2 actually, Master Extra 10: Nintendo. I'm sure if they really wanted to, they could add it to the Switch release of an SMB1/2 remake as an extra level.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I don't think that level was taken out in Deluxe but I think it was changed to a dice block instead of a Gamecube.

13. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    In a way, it kind of is the same level, except the terrain is completely different and it has a different name, so it also isn't the same level.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Eh, spiritual successor then. Similar idea anyway. Obviously at the time I'm sure Sony and Microsoft would not have cared for a level called "Gamecube" in their game so it makes sense.

15. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I could have swore there was an Xbox level.