don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Nicely spotted... although it concerns me that those unused sprites aren't documented on our wiki.

We really need more volunteers. There's far too much content on these boards that has yet to be migrated across, and in some cases, it's been lost to time. The mentality seems to be "someone else will do it", but nobody ever does. It's the most frustrating thing.

2. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    point me to those threads and I'll add it to my list of archival work to do.

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    This topic is one of them.

Here's one I came across yesterday. There are also scans of things that people have put on Google Drives or on their own personal servers or whatever - some of it is genuinely too big to deal with at this time of wiki flux but these boards are littered with little discoveries that haven't made it into the wiki for one reason or another.

4. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
    So many lost images... that's why I keep things with me (my pc, and some external hard drives)... we can't trust in those image hosting sites...

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The job is never over.

6. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
    Where they came from? ... I can't find any info about that brand/company... they even have a Donald Trump figure :) ...

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Well, this is interesting:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Interesting they mention rotation effects, as outside of the Special Stages Sonic 1 didn't really utilize rotation effects right? It was all just done by sprites.

9. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Which perhaps brings us back to the "Merry Christmas" rotation demo.

It looks like it might have been a general SEGA/Mega Drive demo rather than just a Sonic thing.

EDIT: The interview with Naka at Denfaminicogamer also mentions that it was shown at a toy show.

EDIT 2: Also, did anyone save those hand drawn maps from Sonic 3D Xtreme's development, which I think were posted at Chris Senn's old site? 'Cause those may have been part of the original Sonic 3 plans:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    • List
  10. Kat

Kat

Oldbie
    I had the same thought a month or two ago and tried to find them again but was unsuccessful. :(

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Ah, found them! I was looking for Sonic 3D when I should have been looking for Sonic Xtreme...

[​IMG]
    "SEGA MK 5", eh? Hmm...

12. Kat

Kat

Oldbie
    Omg I had been searching for Sonic 3D as well!! So glad you found them!

13. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Andrew probably has all that stuff saved somewhere.

14. Chainspike

Chainspike

Stealing rings since 1994 Member
    Death Egg Zone
    S3C Delta
    I've never seen that interview before, that's very interesting.

So, development of SVP Sonic 3 ended in June of 1993, and the final ROM date is November 20th 1993. That is an extraordinary amount of work required in that short time span. There's already 6 zones in Sonic 3 alone, we know Flying Battery Zone was nearing completion, and development had at least reached Lava Reef Zone before the eventually split and final build. Not to mention 5 competition zones as well.

• List
  15. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    This? I vaguely remember this screencap being mentioned in association with rotation effects when I was lurking here back in college.

[​IMG]

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Yep, that pic was taken from that demo, according to its source.

17. Kat

Kat

Oldbie
    Ahh, that source also has the pic of Alisa from that same demo, including a reproduction gif of the rotation.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    WHAAAAAT, the Alisa scene was the rotation demo?

I guess it might not be related to the Christmas demo, in that case... [​IMG]

19. Vertekins

Vertekins

Wants to know everything about Sonic Member
    Midlands, England, UK, over there in Europe.
    Translating Sonic info. Working on Concept Mobius. Also, trying to find extant footage of original Sonic CD special stage.
    I keep forgetting to make this post but looking through Sonic CD concept art and prototype sprites and screenshots, I discovered a few curious things.

It appears that in one of the earliest prototypes, time travelling process in-gameplay showed the sparks and stars that were shown in a piece of concept art;

[​IMG]

Screenshot;

[​IMG]

Whilst the mysterious "Sinking into floor" sprites that were in the area Sonic's special stage sprites go has an extremely similar concept art;

[​IMG]

Corresponding scrapped sprites;

[​IMG]

If this observation has already been made, my apologies ^^;;

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Pengi

Pengi

What does the text say? Maybe it offers a clue?