don't click here

Art Chrome Gadget's Background

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by JustAMotobug, Aug 21, 2019.

1. JustAMotobug

JustAMotobug

Eggman Robot Member
    United States
    ????
    That's something I love about CD. It's a game with an art style that definitely, along with the classic Sonic games, shaped Sonic's art style as a whole. I definitely like to see more of a combination of what all the classic games did when it comes to the background art. It never failed to amaze me.

2. Powpuck

Powpuck

I personally love CD's (and Chaotix's) aesthics, but some people find it hinders parsability. I can't really argue they are wrong. Admittedly there are areas of blue so close to Sonic's that I have to wonder if they'd suffer for a revision.

3. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    I really like a lot about Marble Zone, even if it wasn't executed that well. It represents them experimenting with new ideas at an early stage, even if only Marble Garden and Aquatic Ruin really used the puzzle ruins stage later, to better effect.

To each their own. I really like the idea of them, just not how they turned out, but they do serve the overall level design quite well. :)

But I feel like they are always a little too busy and detailed, and that they could've found a different shade of blue so Sonic would stand out more.

4. I'm the only one here who appreciates Sonic Lost World's artistic style as a whole, for the way it tried to translate the look and feel of the Genesis games into 3D. Forces did a good job too with the buildings and structures in Sunset Heights/ Park Avenue. It still feels like Sonic's world, grown up since the '90's.

5. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Not at all. Lost World's visual style was great. It was just the ONLY good thing about Lost World.

6. sonictopfan

sonictopfan

Banned
    Unpopular opinion but I always liked the BG from Bridge Zone in Sonic 1, idk what it is but the way the mountains pop up smoothly look so good.

I think it had good music too, the final boss music is still one of my favorites, and the owl level too.

Edit: also I liked the fact it had 3D underwater sections.

7. I have the 3ds version of Lost World, and I think it's pretty good. I think what I mean about the art style is the discriminating way people refer to it as "minecraft trees". The Genesis style was basically the same thing, just limited by 2D graphics. Just take a look at some of Sonic CD's backgrounds; you'll find the same style! The blocky, pop-out look has always been my favorite, followed by the realism of the Dreamcast days (it's pretty close though).

8. Powpuck

Powpuck

I always liked the way Sonic R's environments looked. My fave being Radical City at night in the winter.

Speaking of which, have any of R's field artists ever been interviewed?

9. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Loved Lost World as a whole (The Wii U version anyway), but I admit I actually don't think too highly of its art direction. I prefer the more realistic stuff we saw in the Adventure games/Shadow, and even in Sonic 3 to an extent.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    As far as 3D art directions go, this is going to sound weird but oddly enough I liked Forces' general art direction. Granted I'm not 100% on the themes themselves but I thought Forces was a nice middle ground between Generations/Unleashed realism and Lost Forces surrealism. Metropolis looks nice, it's rendition of Chemical Plant was nice, and the null space effects were pretty cool. I kind of hope they keep that general art direction in the future (they seem to have sort of done that with TSR too and I enjoyed that game's environments as well).

11. I agree. The way the art style is being handled now needs to be the norm (for the non-Dreamcast world anyway).

12. JustAMotobug

JustAMotobug

Eggman Robot Member
    United States
    ????
    I agree wholeheartedly with this statement and I wish the best for any future installments. Definitely something I'll keep my hopes up on.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I think Lost World nailed its visual style... for a Classic Sonic game.

Modern Sonic had always been about more realistic and detailed environments, so I can't imagine what made them go in that direction. Perhaps they just wanted to merge the Classic and Modern "universes" at that point, or something.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I imagine it was a response to Classic Sonic's positive reception in Generations that made them want to try to make the art style more cartoony again. So why they didn't use the Classic Sonic design for that game is beyond me, especially considering how Sonic didn't boost in Lost World.

For now anyway it looks like they have a decent grasp on an artistic direction if Forces/TSR is anything to go by. Now we just need said art style applied to a mainline game that's not mediocre and pointlessly edgy (I would like to see TSR's art direction used in a remake of SA1/2)

15. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I quite liked the art direction in Forces too. It's similar to Lost World, but since it's not trying to ape 2D Mario tropes I think it really shines with its more Sonic-y levels. I'm still partial to the Adventure style, but if it does ends up becoming the main art style for the 3D games going forward I really wouldn't mind.

16. The Creators themselves have said that the Dreamcast world (Adventure/Unleashed) and the Modern World (Colors/Present) are two separate worlds, like how Generations split the timeline into the Classic and Modern eras. The change in art style makes sense if you think about it. Think about the way it was handled in Sonic X (whether that was canon or not is up for debate, I think it might be - it's a stretch though). Sonic and friends lived in their own world full of anthro characters until they somehow ended up in the human world. The inhabitants were different, the world aesthetic was new, and the methods for taking down Eggman changed too. In modern days, starting with Colors, Sonic returned to his own separate world apart from humans for the first time since Sonic Jam. The aesthetic got cartoony, the Chaos Emeralds took a backseat, and now anthros are the populace inhabiting the world. In terms of development, they probably did change the art due to Generations' success, but I still like to think about the world change. If they remake the Adventure games, they'd need to go (photo)realistic in order to maintain the canonical reasoning behind the shift in aesthetics they've created.

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Sonic needs a lore reboot it's getting too stupid. There's no good reason for any of this, the only semi logical one at this point is the modern/classic split due to branding and generations/mania. The rest? Ehhhh this human vs Sonic world and realism vs not? Dumb. Very dumb. Just merge the two and end it or shit can one or the other.

18. I can agree that the emeralds need to be relevant again. It's been too long (Sonic Unleashed) since the emeralds meant anything other than "obligatory Super Sonic boss".

19. sonictopfan

sonictopfan

Banned
    Pretty sure we drifted off topic, but if we’re talking wishful graphics I hope the next 2D game to have HD 2D art style similar to Wario Land: Shake It and Shantae: Half Genie Hero, and I hope it uses the modern designs like Sonic Advance over classic Sonic, Mania fanatics got what they wanted now we deserve some love and if another Adventure style game is not going to happen at least give us another Advance game, for me Sonic Advance is easily the better Sonic 3 successor than Sonic Mania for a long list of reasons that I rather not go into details with.

20. I love Sonic Advance! It would definitely be cool to see.