don't click here

Mario and Sonic at the 2020 Olympics announced

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned

[​IMG]

why are his feet so short.

he looks like he has club foot on both feet

2. Cyberlink420

Cyberlink420

Michigan
    Sonic F (Sonic Paradox)
    There's a Japanese overview trailer that just came out with more details, including a look at what appear to be the new dream events. Also, shirtless Eggman.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    And shirtless Wario

Who asked for these shirtless fat men? Regardless this game actually looks fun despite "all the assets clash" retro mode. The added focus now that there's no 3ds version adds a lot to this.

Although I find it funny that they gave all the other Sonic characters outfits but not Metal Sonic. I get that it's a robot but like all the male Sonic characters never wear shirts but they are here, so why exclude metal?

4. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I'm digging how this one's turning out and am stoked about the inclusion of everyone's favorite Olympic events, skateboarding and shmup.

5. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    This just looks great, they seem to have gone way further than they ever needed to making it. Everything just looks fantastic =D

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Skateboarding is an actual Olympic event. =P https://tokyo2020.org/en/games/sport/olympic/skateboarding/

Shmup is a bit of a reach, though.

7. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Shows how out of the loop I've been. Dang.

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I'm loving how the 2D bits look like a fan game from 1999. They even doubled Mario's size, like it was ripped by someone who didn't know how emulators worked.

Terrifying. But optional.

9. Lol

10. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
  11. Powpuck

Powpuck

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

When it comes to making games with a retro aesthetic these days, it's rare that the time or effort required to make a consistent art style is ever actually invested. Remember 8 bit Mario and all his pixels? Plaster those everywhere and make a profit. It just looks so lazy and half-arsed, but it's par for the course.

And to play the devils advocate I do understand that they wouldn't be truly retro representations of the characters if new sprites were made to keep the casts of both sites consistent, but I would much rather take that over what looks like am early 2000s flash game.

13. Powpuck

Powpuck

I'm guilty of spending money on official copy-paste sprite junk. In my defense there was once a time when official Mario® paraphernalia was uncommon as hens teeth, even requiring effort to hunt down whatever retailer carried them. I preferred Yoichi Kotabe art, but I took what I could get (Not that my Club.Nintendo Mario pin badge set isn't classy stuff).

Also, I recall Super Paper Mario took some considerable liberties with SMB1's sprites?

P.S. Mario's best 8-bit sprites are from Game & Watch Gallery. Anyone who disagrees IS WRONG.

14. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Peach hopping around with no frames of animation is very Paper Mario-esque.

I can see what they're going for - having a brand new set of graphics for everyone doesn't evoke feelings of nostaliga as much as it just looks like the main game with fewer colours. But the results are definitely tacky.

I think if it were me, I'd play more into the idea that it's the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, and maybe have everyone look like Hanna-Barbera cartoons. Or I guess because Japan, something like Astro Boy.

Or reflect the Nintendo and Sega product ranges of the time - "Plastic toys and jukeboxes at the 1964 olympic games".

15. Pengi

Pengi

YES! The entire Game & Watch Gallery series had great sprite work.

16. And 16-bit Sonic

17. Turbohog

Turbohog

I'm surprised it took them this many iterations to milk nostalgia with retro graphics. It bothers me they're using 8 bit Mario though. They really should have used the Super Mario World sprites, but maybe they didn't think they were as iconic.

18. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I wonder how many people actually have nostalgia for the OG mario sprites, since it seems way more more people played Mario 3/World as their first game from what I've seen online. Kinda like the Pokemon Company constantly pandering for the Gen 1 starters when I'm pretty sure more people have nostalgia for the Gen 3/4 starters nowadays.

In this day and age nostalgia for the original product is the status quo, even if it doesn't always make sense.

19. Powpuck

Powpuck

I played SMB1 and 2 before I played 3 and World, so me I guess.

Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt is the most common NES cart out there (at least in North America; the NES's performance in the general Occident is another story. Might these be French speaking people?).

I think if SMB3 and SMW get more love, it's on account of being more accessible with newcomers. Their more Mega Man esque jump physics, greater power-up generosity, and overall more content probably has something to do with their appeal to younger--and more vocal--audiences.

Which is interesting on account that the first major Sonics--from 1 to &K--have jump physics much more akin to SMB1 than any of SMB1's true sequels. Sonic feels more forgiving perhaps because of his omnidirectional spin jump attack.

20. What about the 8-bit Sonic that would make more since