don't click here

Sonic Studio

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Lapper, May 19, 2018.

1. Retroman

Retroman

I really like the HUD and how animated every action is, especially the music transition effects.

I got some ideas which will probably be updated. Mainly gimmicks, up to you:
    -An eggmobile spawner that spawns an eggmobile that you can use to enter, hover around and shoot lasers, dash through certain strong walls that only an eggmobile can do.
    Kind of like the gimmick of the flying saucers in Marble Garden Zone but actually good to use. When hit, eggmobile destroys or maybe Sonic just falls out of the eggmobile while the eggmobile descends down. Destructs when you land on an electric generator after a section (Doesn't hurt Sonic, but is there to allow Sonic to get out). Can be used in maybe the final level or an industrial level.
    -Non-OP Whisp powers like drill. Underground badniks that when hit, release moles and rings.

2. I've been following you on twitter for a while, and with the impending release of Mario Maker 2 I wanted to say that if it were possible I would buy Sonic Studio on every platform I own in a heart beat. Echoing what others have said it looks incredibly professional and after the success of Mania I'd be very surprised if Sega aren't aware of you and the project.

3. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    https://twitter.com/SonicStudioProj/status/1144981759366443011
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    As lovely as always. Also, Tails is the best and the cutest.

5. Felik

Felik

Outstanding work, as usual, Lapper.
    Can't wait to play this bad boy

6. Having worked with screens with upwards of 13 hours a more a day for the last 4 years as a job, I know all about eye strain.

...but I've never looked at something that made my eyes just relax. How your screenshots alone are doing this is a mystery but if that's not a mark of incredible quality, I don't know what is.

7. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I may be in the minority, but I don't really care for the ring sprites. I couldn't tell you exactly why, but they don't seem to fit the rest of the art style in my opinion.

8. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    For sure. I made them super duper shiny but I'm going to sort them out, in motion they look ok but in stills it's clear they seem off.

9. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    It's because of the transparency glow that they have, or at least that's how it looks like on the screens.

I personally like shiny but they may be too shiny.

10. Unlimited Trees

Unlimited Trees

we Do a Little Mischief, Mischief... Member
    When
    UNITRES, Project Time, etc.
    For me, my issue with the ring sprites isn't that they're too bright but more that they look I guess a lot more "dirty". It probably has to do with the more detailed and I guess dithered (I'm not sure if that's dithering, could be something else which I don't know the name for) shading makes it look a lot more dirtier. I guess I'm just more of a flat shading kind of person. Overall I like how this game looks but it's the little things that I wish could be a bit improved.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    The ring sprites for me remind me of the onion ring sprites used in Sonic 2 XL. Besides the rings though everything looks beautiful.

12. AkumaYin

AkumaYin

From what I can tell, there's too much contrast in the ring sprites when compared to everything else, if that's what everyone is attempting to describe.

13. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    The rings have already been updated now so hopefully the difference will sooth sore eyes when I show some more e p i c gameplay. :)

14. Chaud

Chaud

I think looking at these screenshots I finally realized what's making me love the art of this project so much. It is the level of detail of the pixel art. Most of Sonic's fangames usually use the art of Genesis' games with slight adjustments, sometimes bringing in some new things that go beyond the capacity of what the video game could do. But in most cases, what ends up happening is that we see some inconsistency there, where the game at the same time maintains the original art style and tries to bring things that don't fit perfectly in the classic games. This discontinuity causes a certain strangeness that permeates the game, and I got to feel a little bit of that even in Sonic Mania. (At the time, I posted here saying that I thought that FBZ's foreground deserved some subtle adjustments in the art to bring it to the same level as the other levels in the game.)

But I digress. Going back to the point, what I find amazing about these screenshots is the fact that the artwork as a whole seemed to get an upgrade, with the addition of details, animation frames and parallax levels in the background. Especially the small parts that imitate the foreground but on a smaller scale, which ends up giving a much greater sense of depth to the scenery. And best of all, the style of art is coherent, every piece of the scenery and every character, monitor, or object maintains a unique sense of style that unifies everything in an extremely pleasant way. It's something that goes in the same direction as what I expected to see in a new 2D Sonic game, something that in a way looks like an evolution of Sonic 2's graphics.

I really, really like what you're doing here, Lapper. I strongly hope that you continue to have the willpower to move forward with this project, because I think it's one of the most promising projects I've seen in the last decade. I mean, even without the "maker" part I'd already feel like playing it! I hope you will also take the opportunity to insert some of your own new levels here, with your own concepts, so we can enjoy more of your style and your art!

Yeah. I think it's because they've lost the metallic aspect of smooth and polished surface, and they're looking "coarser" in some way. Maybe it's a nitpick, but I agree.

15. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    [​IMG]

Hey all, tiny update -
    Thought I'd advertise here too that I'm looking for some help! There's talent all over this place.
    (Though best not reply here with an request if you are interested.)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  16. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
  17. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    One feature I'm hoping we see - and forgive me if it was mentioned somewhere and I overlooked it - is being able to jump back and forth between background areas ala Virtual Boy Wario Land. I see a screenshot of Mushroom Hill with a background that looks like it can be explored, but I can't tell if that's really a feature yet.

18. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    That does sound cool however it's purely for some immersive decoration in the BG!

19. Tempest

Tempest

Perth, Western Australia
    A Sonic 3 & Knuckles level layout change
    This project looks awesome, Lapper. I can't wait for the release.

I've always wanted an editor that I could manipulate the environments in anyway necessary. Looks like those level layout maps I created when I was a kid might be able to be made in this.

Keep up the great work.

20. Hey mate you can use any of the music we've sent you for the game, if you want to send me a dm :) willing to do different versions if that's something you'd be interested in