don't click here

SegaWorld Birmingham, Tamworth, Wolverhampton

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Black Squirrel, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Another one for the pile:

[​IMG]

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.3535705,-0.2454687,3a,75y,259.24h,84.86t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s2f2QkN_76tPp6gWbgYYzzQ!2e0!5s20180301T000000!7i16384!8i8192

boo.

2. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    If we're doing shops with Sega in their names, there was a "Saga Swap Shop" in Sheffield (presumably the result of poor communication between the signwriter and owner) in the early-to-mid-90s.

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Difficult to really say if it should get coverage - there is a "WORLD OF NINTENDO" sign in the window, so even though it calls itself a Sega shop... it's no more of one than Dixons or Toys R Us.

But it is Sega-related. Its existence in this form is a result of Sega releasing a successful line of products. So idk.

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    The internet refuses to believe that there once big Sega venues called "Galbo".

[​IMG]

https://picclick.com/Sega-Jack-Magazine-1995-No2-Japan-SONIC-THE-153221761288.html

I can now confirm penguins were involved.

p.s. did I ever mention every piece of Sonic/Sega merchandise ever made needs documenting? Because it totally does.

5. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
  6. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    www.sonicgear.org has been documenting literally every piece of Sonic merchandise for years (frankly, I'm impressed that AzureBlaze is still keeping the site going). They also have archived photos, magazine scans, and information on literally anything Sonic-related, including promotional events and Sega-branded venues. It's a fun site to dig through.

Apparently, these shirts and the Sally Acorn pencil topper were originally from Sega VirtuaLandin the Luxor Las Vegas around 1995. The shirts were sold in the gift shop and the pencil topper came from some kind of prize-dispensing machine which contained a variety of Sonic themed things. It's really rare and unusual to see any Sally Acorn/SatAM related merchandise at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm interested in obscure Sega arcade venues as well, and I know of at least one franchise that isn't on the wiki yet:

Sega City@Playdium (yes, that was the legal name) was founded in Canada as a partnership between Sega GameWorks (the American arcade chain) and Playdium Entertainment Corporation. It was essentially going to be the Canadian GameWorks, with plans for over 40 locations across Canada (although only four were ever built, and only two were known to carry the Sega name). According to Digital Play: The Interaction of Technology, Culture, and Marketing;

The first, and flagship, Sega City@Playdium opened in Ontario in September 1996. It was a massive, 40,000 square foot indoor entertainment complex with over 200 arcade games, simulators, and other attractions. Demo Sega Saturn consoles were available to play inside each booth at Megabyte, the venue's restaurant. This venue had over one million visitors and took in six million dollars in revenue during its first year of operations. It actually still exists and still contains a lot of Sega games, but it's just called Playdium now because Sega GameWorks left the partnership at some point.

Another Sega City@Playdium location was built in downtown Toronto in 1999. I know that the Ontario venue dropped Sega from its name in 1999, but the architect who worked on the Toronto location refers to it as a Sega Playdium, despite its opening in 1999, so it's unclear when, exactly, Sega left the project.

Here's a scan of the Sega-era gameplay cards, called PlayCards:

[​IMG]

And a photo of the flagship location (somewhat recent, but the decor hasn't changed since 1996):

[​IMG]

7. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Technically it is: Sega City - best coverage of the subject on the internet!*****

Feel free to add things - theoretically every venue should have it's own page.

I can 1-up you on the stupid names for venues + associated cards though:

[​IMG]

Here's a card I don't understand from Sega's short lived franchise of internet cafés - Entertainment STAGE net@

"net at"

8. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I linked this on the Sega Retro Todo list for toys years ago:

https://myfigurecollection.net/browse.v4.php?mode=search&rootId=-1&status=-1&categoryId=-1&tags[]=sega&domainId=-1&noReleaseDate=0&releaseTypeId=0&ratingId=0&isCastoff=0&hasBootleg=0&tagId=0&noBarcode=0&clubId=0&isDraft=0&year=2018&month=12&acc=0&separator=0&sort=date&output=2&current=categoryId&order=asc&page=1

Edit: Huh. Well, just copy and paste the link then.

9. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Sometimes I like to remember NEC Retro exists. So I twokked this issue of Gekkan PC Engine from Retromags:

https://retrocdn.net/index.php?title=File%3AGekkanPCEngine_JP_27.pdf&page=102

Because everything is connected and there is no escape, there's an article about an arcade called "Carnival" (カーニバル) that had opened in early 1991. Kind-of unremarkable were it not for the fact it has a CCD Cart and a Cyber Dome, which are two mostly-undocumented medium scale attractions by Sega. The sort that not every arcade was likely to get because they take up a lot of floor space.

also,

[​IMG]

yeah

[​IMG]

right

[​IMG]

oh.

Sega Tokyo Dome City

10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Thanks internet:

[​IMG]

Hi-Tech Zone Sega Yamagata (ハイテクゾーンセガ 山形), circa 1989

I've seen Hi-Tech Lands but never Zones.

11. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member
  12. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    So I know this post is ancient, but being from Harlow that tallies up with my memory.

I was supposed to go on my birthday (23rd December) and didn't get to. Myself and a friend were playing Mega Drive games in my room, waiting for my mum and sister to get ready to go. I got my foot trapped behind my radiator (located at the end of my bed), pulled it out and tore the thing off the wall. We then had to wait in for the council's heating engineer to reattach it. I was super bummed out since I hadn't been yet, and that lines up with it having been opened very recently - we went into town pretty frequently, and I spent much of my youth hanging around in there.

Man, I remember the excitement when I saw Sonic go up on the boards that covered what had been a music shop. Amusingly, I'm pretty sure a guy I used to know called David was the first member of the public inside, because he had various developmental and behavioural issues, so he just ran in without permission when the shutters were up for loading before it officially opened.

13. Ted909

Ted909

14. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    I managed to find the google cache:

Machine translated:

The cached link. I'd like to pull all the images if we can! Image archive here.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  15. Ted909

Ted909

16. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Super obscure "what am I doing with my life" material:

Here is episode 32 of a 1980s Japanese television show I know nothing about - "Abunai Deka" (あぶない刑事). At the 8 minute mark, Shooting Master makes an appearance, and after a bit of acting, blokey bloke in the shades walks out of the arcade.

[​IMG]

It's a Sega arcade. A Sega arcade called "Pasopiard" (パソピアード). What's a Pasopiard? I have no idea, but here's another one:

[​IMG]

The staff of Pasopiard are credited in Decathlete, so presumably Sega were operating at leat one of these in 1996.

I'm led to believe Sega were also operating arcades called "Game Royal" (ゲーム・ロイヤル) around 1984/1985. Japan hasn't documented any of this - I'm at the other side of the world cross referencing 80s action shows and deciphering broken English.

[​IMG]

Not like other companeis were any better at this mind you.

17. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...

This photo was uploaded here on foursquare.com on December 13, 2013 ... so these must be runned by them since the "Jurassic" period...
    [​IMG]

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Pasopiard Yokohama (パソピアード横浜)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@35.4...IquTp22A!2e0!5s20090801T000000!7i13312!8i6656

I'm thinking that Sega sign was in storage - it's not there in 2009, but that photo features games released after 2009, so it's a bit weird. If I were to guess, I'd say Sega left it in the late 1990s, since there's very little trace of it on the internet.

There's another Pasopiard in Tokyo, but it's been shut since at least 2015 and I can't prove Sega were ever involved. Neither match up with the one in Abunai Deka, but the Japanese are very good at redeveloping land without leaving any trace of what was there before.

Answers probably won't be forthcoming until we get 3598023948032 scans of books and magazines.

19. Ted909

Ted909

20. Ted909

Ted909