don't click here

Sonic 2 CD Remix

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Pacca, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Pacca

Pacca

ASM amateur Member
    Labyrinth Zone
    Sonic 2 CD Remix
    By popular demand, this has a thread now. Let me type out a rushed explanation of the project for anyone who's just stumbling upon it now...

Sonic 2 CD Remix is a rom hack of Sonic 2 that aims to add the Time Travel mechanics from Sonic CD into the Vanilla Sonic 2 zones. While the original levels are largely unmodified, their pasts and futures feature significant differences, including different palettes, and badniks. Alongside that, it attempts to "remix" the Time Travel formula by adding alternative options for time travel and adding an extra collectible that is exclusive to the future. It also includes a laundry list of options, as well as two new characters, Amy and Metal Sonic. Metal Sonic even has his own "story-line", in a similar fashion to Knuckles in S3K. Being the product of me working off and on for nearly a year, this short paragraph likely doesn't do the project justice, as even I occasionally lose track of what I've added too it (thank god for git :specialed:)

Although nothing truly substantial has been released of this project beyond an extremely old and buggy prototype, I've made several videos showing the project off. I've compiled them all into a playlist. Due to me being unable to post here for quite awhile, some of the major videos in that playlist have never been shared on Retro. So if you haven't been following the project on SSRG or directly via my channel, you might find some cool new stuff in that playlist ;3

Although a completion date is far from settled, a partial demo is planned for the upcoming Sonic Hacking Contest!

And here's some random screenshots to wrap things up, since any project thread would feel empty without them :v:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That's really impressive, great work!

3. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Ha! This is a very fantastic concept. It could end up being one of my favourite projects from this scene since XL2's Z-treme. :)

4. Pacca

Pacca

ASM amateur Member
    Labyrinth Zone
    Sonic 2 CD Remix

5. This looks beautiful. I love the concept, though are you fitting it to the concepts planned for Sonic 2 or taking a more freehand approach? Either is cool, I'm just curious.

Oh, and having Amy playable is always a plus.

The music swapping is a novel concept too, I dig it.

6. Pacca

Pacca

ASM amateur Member
    Labyrinth Zone
    Sonic 2 CD Remix
    The original concepts for Sonic 2 heavily conflict with the Sonic CD mechanics. The best example would be Hill Top being the past of Emerald Hill; in order to make proper CD time travel work with that, I'd have to completely destroy Hill Top to fit Emerald Hills' layout. So I am taking it into account, just very loosly. I'm more focused on adding features from the betas then the original design concept behind Sonic 2 as a whole.

7. That seems like a very smart way to approach it, since CD and Proto Sonic 2 did feature wildly different means of time travel. I like the CD approach more since the player is in control of it, but I certainly appreciate the narrative-driven approach that seemed to be intended for Sonic 2.

It looks like Sonic 2 CD Remix will be all the better for it without adhering to any strict goals. I really look forward to seeing more and more of this!

8. Chainspike

Chainspike

Stealing rings since 1994 Member
    Death Egg Zone
    S3C Delta
    Wow, this is pretty great, can't wait to see more of it. It looks like it has come along quite nicely, and I especially like how going to the future actually has a gameplay purpose here, unlike in Sonic CD. Keep up the good work!

9. Pacca

Pacca

ASM amateur Member
    Labyrinth Zone
    Sonic 2 CD Remix

10. This looks great. The adds over the Sonic CD time travel thing to make it different creates a good essence and vibe to it. Everything here looks coming down very nicely, and that makes me curious about the new kind of things that can come out from this. Keep up this amazing work.

11. Pacca

Pacca

ASM amateur Member
    Labyrinth Zone
    Sonic 2 CD Remix

12. JamesRock7

JamesRock7

Pending Member
    Chile
    Is this project still alive? It looks great. Congratulations :)

13. Pacca

Pacca

ASM amateur Member
    Labyrinth Zone
    Sonic 2 CD Remix

14. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Not a loved one, but the most hated person. Banned
    Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    It's technically great, but musically ... half acceptable. The levels in the past overal needs much than just a mechanic here and there and a small palette change. You know... art stuff. Also, I'm not very into these slightly edited music, to be frank. You should work (or ask someone to work) in "past style" arrangements of the level music to provide them a better feel of being travelling into the past. As I said, it's technically great, but the music in my particular opinion, is bad. Good work in the programming part, though.

15. Pacca

Pacca

ASM amateur Member
    Labyrinth Zone
    Sonic 2 CD Remix
    I'm very, very aware of how lackluster it is in the graphics and music department; the last minute or so of the video even brings it up. I can't draw to an acceptable level and I can't compose songs, so I do what I can. I've asked for help in fixing that, but the people who have kindly offered to do so have far more important things to care of. I don't plan to release it in this state (my standards have risen significantly since the very early releases and my Robotnik Returns era), but I also can only show what I can add.

I appreciate the critique, I just can't do anything about it :(

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. AngelKOR

AngelKOR

Help people with their hacks and learn more about hacks
    From what I've seen in gameplay and mechanics it looks really promising. I know graphics are a really tough department and I really don't know how to work with music at all in hacks. I just hope in the near future we get to see more of it. :thumbsup:

17. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Some of those graphics are placeholders right? I've always meant to ask but didn't want to sound like a dick. Especially those "time travel" pod things.

EDIT: I missed your post about graphics and music. I am truly a dick.

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    The music isn't entirely inaccurate - dance music, on the whole, has got faster over time. Or at least it did between the 1960s and early 2000s - I don't follow these things.

So if you travelled back in time, the music you would hear would probably be slower.:eng101:

19. Dracula

Dracula

Oldbie
    I'm watching you!
    Converting NES Mappers to MMC5
    Wow! This hack will be lots of fun to play.

20. Creature SH

Creature SH

I do love the new Hilltop Zone badnik. Really really fits in.