don't click here

Are the floors in Sonic Jam World VDP background layers?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Cooljerk, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    By VDP background layers, I mean things like the VF2 stage floors or Last Bronx's backgrounds:

[​IMG]

Many saturn games used skewed background layers for floors to save polygons. Sonic R, for example, does this. So that brings me to Sonic Jam World, one of the best examples of a 3D engine on the saturn -- how does it perform so well? My first thought would be that the floor is a VDP background layer, and thus it's sparse on polygons. But there is one part in particular that trips me up the river:

[​IMG]

I'm curious how this was achieved. Is it just a perspective projection of a polygon object that is composited over the VDP background layer, or is what I think is a VDP background layer actually a polygon mesh, and this is actual lower geometry? Any ideas?

2. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    The floor itself (and the sky) are rendered on the VDP RGB0 layer, while the waterfall/landscapes/3D "Polygon" (and I use quotes there wisely) are sprites:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the "Polygon" (sprites) rendering the waterfalls/mounts over the floor:

[​IMG]

3. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Thanks! So it was the former, makes sense!

4. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    You're very welcome :)

5. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Sonic Jam never ceases to amaze me, and makes me truly yearn for what could've been on the system.