don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I dunno. Starline did so much at the start with regards to finding Eggman and restoring his memories, it's a shame to see him stand around fangirling in the midst recent issues. I would have liked to see the two to have at least properly worked together one time before becoming enemies.

2. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    I'd argue Modern era has generally taken itself more seriously than the Classic one. Eggman being a egomaniacal mad genius fits him well, considering how he's acted in the games Adventure onward. Goofball Eggy always felt off to me, and the idea of him honestly sharing in any victory doesn't fit either. Everyone is a mean to his end.

3. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Sorry if this questions is a) dumb, or b) been answered before, but I was under the impression the Comics were following the current SEGA approved (supposedly) Sonic lore, aka "this is Sonic's World, the humans are in a seperate world", but looking at the drawn map, it looks like Central City is a part of this world?
    That being a key part of the events of SA2/Shadow/Battle, etc kinda puts that 'two worlds' thing on thin ice. Unless IDW is going to have a retconned version of The Adventure game's events with only animal characters and no humans..

Not that I'm giving much thought to how SEGA approach the DEEP LORE these days, but it would be interesting to know what today's 'continuity of the day' is :V

4. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    From the looks of it, it's based on the Sonic Battle version, especially the Tails House:

[​IMG]

Most likely, there'll be two versions: the Human version seen during Shadow the Hedgehog that was essentially Westopolis 2.0, and the animal version of Sonic Battle.

Central City wasn't present, or at least named during the events of, Sonic Adventure 2, so they can likely just pretend that one is a different city (even though in Sonic Adventure 2, they state they're above the capital while in Shadow the Hedgehog, they say they've cornered the Black Arms in the capital just before we go to Central City, but when has a little thing like consistent continuity stopped them?)

However, it was also present in Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood and filled with Humans, soooooo...

5. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Considering the kerfuffle Penders kicked up over Chronicles, I think that game is off limits.

6. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

Yeah, I could see them going with that. (Although Tails' House was in Emerald Town, wasn't it?)

Either way, I feel like it'll be an interesting elephant in the room if that plot point is fully addressed at any point in the comics (which seems unlikely with the way the games seem to be going about it...)
    Unless Ian does his own Thanos Snap and re-writes it so that GUN and friends are all Forces-style animal characters... which might be a bit the easier of solutions at this point.

7. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    They've transitioned from a consistent continuity to every game being "standalone stories" which was stated sometime during Sonic Lost World I think (never mind that Forces backtracks this with Classic Sonic showing up again). For an ongoing comic though, this isn't viable less every story arc forgets what happened in the previous arc. I imagine GUN and all the human elements will never been seen again, not due to the two worlds bit but because there's enough human x mobian fanfiction in the world.

Not as though the two worlds bit ever held any water. The moon not being wrecked was jokingly referred to as being on its side most of the time even though games taking place in Sonic's world shouldn't have a blown up moon. I would really like to know if a Sonic Lore Bible exists and see whether or not its been updated since 1998 cause I really think "Lore" at this point is whatever Iizuka says at any given point in time.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh yea of course that's the case. Sonic is whatever the fuck Iizuka says. That being said though I am 100% behind the 2 Sonic universe. It means classic Sonic gets his own stories, characters, and games and Modern gets the same. And tbh how is this different from Megaman/Megaman X? Generations split the timeline and Forces/Mania split it further. What's wrong with having both?

9. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Emerald Town was close enough that it was featured in, once again, Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood as a suburb in Central City. At this point, it's anyone's guess on what will occur with the apparently duplicate city.

Mega Man X was directly tied to the classic Mega Man games quite thoroughly. X being built by Dr. Light of the classic fame and the events of Mega Man X5 appear to end in one of the Wily Castles.

The way it's worded for the Sonic the Hedgehog continuity, it seems as though the original games didn't take place, or if they did, they happened with the modern design. Which is kinda pointless to do, if the major factor in the story change between the two worlds is "Sonic and co. had coloured eyes."

The Legend of Zelda fanbase would like a word.

10. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

The Megaman/Megaman X wasn't a split, it was a planned out transition which was supposed to end with Megaman 7 being an end of the classic era (because they didn't want to show the ugly implications of Zero murdering everyone) and Megaman X5 tying everything together BEFORE SOME FUCKHEADS AT CAPCOM RUINED IT WITH X6 BECAUSE THEY ARE A BUNCH INCOMPETENT F....

That's a tender spot for me. Point is, there was a method to the madness which is why continuity was fine (up until that point). The Classic/Adventure split (yeah yeah, fuck you too) was made up on the spot to justify Sonic Mania. Despite the claims of "seriousness" that started with Adventure 2, I think even then they were just pulling stuff out of their asses/doing what they thought would be fun without any care of the consequences.

I think there's a greater discussion to be had here that'd be better suited for its own thread.

11. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

Hold up. I think this discussion has gone into "Classic/Modern World" talk, which isn't what I was on about.

I'm talking about Iizuka's 'Human World/Sonic World' idea, which is more of a retcon within the Modern Sonic continuity (and to keep on topic, the IDW-verse if it tries to show places and events from SA1/SA2) :V

12. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

https://shop.sega.com/collections/pins-patches

So, Sega is now selling Tangle and Whisper merch? I know they had a bundle of IDW comics for sale some time back but has Sega actually sold merchandise of comic exclusive characters before?

13. AmbientPixels

AmbientPixels

I am emotionally wrecked Member
    Indiana
    A Sonic Comic Project,
    So Issue 19 had released earlier today and well... it's alright to say the most? Shadow comes in to help via the G.U.N. Convoy Truck, which is a nice callback. But that brings up multiple questions in terms of the other fighting forces in the IDW (and maybe even the games???) Does G.U.N. even exist in any form of Sonic canon anymore? I think the truck was definitely meant to be a callback to Sonic Adventure 2. But the truck is often considered: "G.U.N."'s Convoy truck. So is it the Resistance's truck now or is it just a plain ol' convoy?

14. Burezu

Burezu

Butt. Member
    Kyushu, JP
    linktr.ee/IHMTTY
    Man, I really regret saying this. This book fucking sucks. The last, what four issues, have been the same fucking shit again. It’s always the same story different scenery. Sonic runs into city that’s getting attacked, “Run it’s the zombonies!”, Sonic punches zombie, “I gotta stop getting touched it’s only making it worse!”, Sonic runs to burn off infection, character shows up, “get to the extraction point friend!”, then some friend turns, “Dang, my friend turned!”, “Sonic this if friend in another city, we need help!”, Sonic runs off to repeat the same actions in the following book.

Charmy->Cheese/Chocola->Shadow all fulfilled the same roles.

Gemerl and Omega were virtually the same fucking character and fulfilled the same role, but Omega basically got a free pass to do whatever while Gemerl got killcucked.

Vector & Espio->Vanilla & Cream->Rouge & Omega. Get these duo same fulfilling rolls out of the cities.

It’s so fucking dumb. I honestly thought Ian Flynn was a good writer once. Now I think he’s a brain dead idiot who has a mad fetish for the movie Groundhog’s Day. People can’t actually defend this shit can they? I’m at the point where I hope sales are so bad they just pull the plug on the book as a whole.

15. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Either I'm missing the irony or it's a really mean spirited post. For the future, insulting people like this only makes your opinions completely invalid and makes you look like an entitled dick.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  16. Powpuck

Powpuck

Whenever this thread has new posts, I click it hoping they finally announced the Classic/Mania continuity.

It's like Charlie Brown and that damn football.

17. Burezu

Burezu

Butt. Member
    Kyushu, JP
    linktr.ee/IHMTTY
    Honestly, fair. Still feel strongly about his current writing ability. I feel he’s exhausted anything else he could contribute to the series.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think he's an ok writer. His biggest flaw I think is that he just drags on plot lines for a longggggggg time. The World Ripped apart saga spanned basically the entirety of the Archie Sonic reboot and that went on for years. Something similar seems to be happening with this Metal Virus plot too where it seemingly won't end.

That being said though he's still probably the best writer the series has had, but the bar for that isn't too high. Also gotta give him some credit, he's been writing this stuff for like 10 or 15 years or something and that includes 2 reboots. That's a lot of stories and plot lines and on top of that he has to make a world that makes sense for Sonic, and since Sega doesn't even know what that is it makes it that much more annoying to write for. He also did a good job fixing the mess that was Archie Sonic once he got on board and brought some of the series elements up to code (Like merging all like 800000000 Chaos Emeralds into the 7 that are in the games, introducing the Special Zone, other things that I can't really remember right now). So yea, I think he's pretty good. Kind of a shame he changed Gemerl's personality though, I would have liked him to keep that Snarky Mecha Sonic vibe he had when he was introduced in Archie post reboot.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  19. Powpuck

Powpuck

I didn't so much mind the protraction of things such the world splitting, as it works fine as a backdrop for smaller, more immediate arcs. I easily rank the defacto Sonic the Fighters among one of the most engaging and personable Sonic stories ever told (elevated no doubt by Diana Skelly's superlative art), up there with the OVA and Fleetway. I don't think it would've worked nearly as well had the primary motive been to win the privilege of stopping the Death Egg 2.0 as in the game.

I'll give Flynn the benefit of the doubt and assume he's restricted by edicts from SoJ/Sonic Team. I write that as someone who's not really that big of a fan.

20. Pengi

Pengi

It's always worth remembering that licensed comic writers don't work in a vacuum. They have to satisfy the editor, the publisher and the licensor.

Sonic Universe, for example, was built almost entirely of 4-issue arcs. This is because Archie saw 4 issues as the ideal length for an affordable, kid friendly graphic novel. IDW seems to favour a "season" model for their ongoing Sonic the Hedgehog series.

I doubt it was Ian who made that decision.

https://www.previewsworld.com/Article/229085-Flynn-Talks-Tangle--Whisper-and-the-Summer-of-Sonic