don't click here

Streets of Rage 4

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Jason, Aug 27, 2018.

1. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Hey, it looks pretty good; the 16/9 screen ratio is something I didn't know I needed.
    Pretty fluid looking animations too, I was scared they were gonna make them super stiff for some cheap megadrive nostalgia, but it seems they were smarter than that.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...You don't expect that from Streets of Rage. =P

Can I say that I find them too bouncy for the art style? The character animations sometimes remind me of Paul Robertson's style in Scott Pilgrim, which would be a good thing if we were talking about "chibi" pixel art... =\

3. Xilla

Xilla

I fail to understand....I begin to see! Member
    The one thing that's concerning me is Axel's jumping kick. It either stuns the enemy (like it would if you pressed down for the knee attack) or knocks them down (as it should).

It's really inconsistent (Mentski pointed out the same thing with Blaze's jumping kick a while back).

Also.....it annoys me that whoever playing seemed completely unaware of the existence of Blitz attacks....

Few other things:

No time limit it seems (3 didn't have that either).
    You can now drop weapons rather than having to throw them or swapping them for another one.
    Axel only does the full A+ special if the first hit connects. If it doesn't, he cancels it.
    Really needs the run and roll from 3.
    Stage Hazards are in, the car is actually an unused element planned for SoR2 which is neat.
    Not too sure about the Supers. Assuming the inspiration came from the GG version of SoR2, they cleared the screen in that game whilst here they just wipe out enemies standing close to you. Essentially they're just lethal versions of the A special.
    Feel the SoR3 female punks backing up the end of level boss needs changing. The boss looks similar to them and really doesn't stand out.

Finally, the juggling. I'm really not too sure about the way they can be bounced off the side of the screen (I believe it's already been said in 4 that once an enemy is on-screen, they cannot leave it) and feel that side of the mechanic should be reserved for areas where a wall is present myself. Does look like it'll be fun to do when playing a multiplayer game though.

4. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    I need to see some gameplay from somebody who knows how to get the best out of the originals in order to see what this game is actually capable of, because watching that was pretty painful.

5. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ckKrcyYlPg

6. Xilla

Xilla

I fail to understand....I begin to see! Member
    Hope they change the sound effect used for when you lose your "banked" health after being hit post-special. Currently it's the Time Over sound and it's a bit distracting!

7. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    So, composers for the game's soundtrack have been announced:

• Yūzō Koshiro (Streets of Rage 1, 2 & 3, Sonic the Hedgehog, The Revenge Shinobi, Shenmue I & II,...)
    • Motohiro Kawashima (Streets of Rage 2 & 3, Shinobi II, Batman Returns,...)
    • Yoko Shimomura (Street Fighter II: The World Warrior, Kingdom Hearts I, II & III, Legend of Mana, Parasite Eve,...)
    • Hideki Naganuma (Jet Set Radio & Future, Super Monkey Ball, Sega Rally 2,...)
    • Keiji Yamagishi (Ninja Gaiden, Tecmo Bowl,...)
    Some great artists there - really happy they managed to get series staple Yuzo Koshiro on-board, and with Motohiro Kawashima also returning from previous games we'll definitely be getting an authentic Streets of Rage experience soundtrack-wise. The other composers joining them all have great pedigree - in particular I'm excited about Hideki Naganuma joining the team, as given the apparenty time-jump between Streets of Rage 3 and this game I was idly speculating the other day on whether he might be a good choice for more of a late '90s/early '00s influenced Streets of Rage soundtrack.

Now here's hoping we don't have to wait too long to hear some of the beats they've cooked up together...!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  8. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    What a dream lineup. I don't remember the last time I was super excited about a game music composer announcement.

9. This is awesome news! Super hyped about it now

10. The soundtrack is basically guaranteed to be amazing now!

11. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I was kinda hoping to see Naganuma in that video. Dude's kinda my idol.

12. New character!

I wasn't expecting any of the members from the original trio to have children. She looks neat and fun to play as.

13. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    The above trailer also features confirmation of platforms it's releasing on (PC, PS4, Xbox One and Switch), as well as our first clip of a tune from the actual soundtrack. This particular one from Motohiro Kawashima sounds very Streets of Rage 3 influenced to me! = )

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  14. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Last check the game takes place ten years after 3, so if Cherry is a teenager, Adam had her really early.

15. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Adam is a player
    Also Skate's an uncle now, lol.
    Edit: Talking about Skate, he hasn't been confirmed yet, no? I hope he makes it in, he was my go to character in SoR 2 and 3.

16. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    I think she's supposed to be the replacement Skate character. Skate would be in his 20s by now so probably wouldn't use skates any more.

17. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    Adams daughter, which probably means he's been kidnapped again =P

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Adam's probably going to be announced at the very end to get a lot of video reactions in YouTube or at least be a unlockable, since it's the most obvious fan service this game could have.

19. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    Assuming the other two silhouettes are Dr Zan and Max (although I guess it isn't out of the question that they are totally original characters, like Cherry), they're either going to have Adam as a secret unlockable, or... I guess DLC isn't out of the question in this day and age, is it?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  20. RetroRespecter

RetroRespecter

Isn't anyone interested that we saw live confirmation of Shiva? That's boss!