don't click here

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz Remake (Switch, PS4, PC)

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!

Huh. Well would you look at that it's a new Super Monkey Ball game... that's a remake of the 1st one they made for the Wii. That's... yea sure ok. Anyway it's coming to the Switch, PS4, and PC eventually. This is slightly interesting though because the original was tied to motion controls which were fucking dreadful. I at one point played this game on Dolphin with modified controls to adapt more to a controller and the game was better although still kind of off because that version was not designed around a controller, so I'm curious to see what they do with this game to make it more controller friendly.

At the very least though it's Sega finally reviving one of it's long dormant franchises which is kind of nice.

2. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    https://games.sega.com/supermonkeyball/

I wonder why they decided on this rather than Deluxe. Are the original two games not modern enough? Either way, I liked Banana Blitz, so I'd be willing to play it again officially without forced gyro controls.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm going to say 2 things, accessibility and art style. Deluxe has some stupidly hard puzzles that might be considered alienating to newer players so maybe they don't want that? Deluxe also sports the old series art style that hasn't been used since Deluxe, and Sega hasn't let go of this current style since it's conception. Maybe they felt like it'd be easier to update the controls of this game rather than bring Deluxe up to snuff? Idk.

Graphically though Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz has held up fantastically. It's right up there with like Galaxy, DKCR, and Colors as games that pretty much just need some better lighting, some higher resolution, and maybe a few updated textures (this remake has opted for a completely new HUD design for some reason sporting this black and yellow style) and they'd look just fine. Here's a quick comparison:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Like it barely looks like it changed anything. Anyway I'm definitely interested. I wonder if there's going to be any kind of online component whether it be through mini games or what? I'm not sure which system I'd get this on yet though although I'm leaning towards the Switch.

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I imagine this one is easier to convert than the others.

But idk maybe it's a sweet spot between recycled assets, fairly standard gameplay and multiplayer options.

Or maybe Super Monkey Ball Deluxe HD Turbo Hyper Remix wasn't a great title.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Personally I think the best move they could do would be to add some of the Deluxe levels into this in some way. Granted the jump button might make some of the levels a bit easier but it could still be fun. As long as the level doesn't involve any short walls that stopped you I can't imagine the addition of a jump button would ruin most of the original levels.

6. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    The first one on the Wii? I fucking hated it.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    What was so bad about it, besides probably the controls? I don't remember hating it (but then again, I barely remember it).

8. Frostav

Frostav

Remember the part in the early 2000's where Sonic Team was falling on their ass constantly yet AV literally made a near-perfect rolling physics engine and the former got to make 06 and still keep their jobs afterwards and the latter got dissolved?

I think about that.

A lot.

9. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    F-Zero GX

:(

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That's a very good point and I did not think of that. What a shame, AV was a great little subsidiary they had going.

That being said though more often than not Sonic Team just seems to be a name. Didn't most of the 06 staff leave or get shit canned afterwards?

11. This is a shame in my view... 1&2 are far superior, let's hope they come soon.

They still get played by me & friends once every few months for a drinking + gaming session, but via dolphin and a laptop+TV set up. Would be nice to play them on the switch instead.

12. Jason

Jason

Apparently, they're changing at least some of the music. Also, stickers.

13. Jason

Jason

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I think I was aware of that actually. That's not new lore, but because of how plotless most of those games are there are never any instances in game where that fact is mentioned. It's mostly like an instruction manual/website blurb. In the first two games they were planning to get married as she's referred to as AiAi's future wife. I guess Baby is from the future (thus the added visor thing, I think they wanted to make the "future" theme more clear there)

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
  16. Jason

Jason

I hope he's permanently-curled instead of in a ball. At least in the main game mode.

17. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    You just know it's going to be lanky Sonic doing the Naruto run inside an oversized plastic ball.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Idk, art style/proportion wise, the overall lack of coherent voice acting, as well as the whole ball/rolling thing makes me think Classic Sonic might be the Sonic used here. Otherwise either the ball would be huge or Sonic would look really tiny.

But agreed, have Sonic be in a perma ball.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  19. Jason

Jason

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    If they choose to go the remake route PLEASE remake 1 and 2. Those are the best ones.