don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
  2. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
  3. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
  4. Vertekins

Vertekins

Wants to know everything about Sonic Member
    Midlands, England, UK, over there in Europe.
    Translating Sonic info. Working on Concept Mobius. Also, trying to find extant footage of original Sonic CD special stage.
    I've been delving into translating Japanese Sonic material into English and Sonic's and Dr Eggman's profiles in the official Sonic Jam guide are actually pretty interesting.

[​IMG]

It is stated in the above that when he senses danger, Sonic has a tendency to sneeze. It occurred to me that perhaps that's why he sneezes in Sonic CD's opening animation, you know due to seeing the chained Little Planet in it's metallic shell?

Whilst Dr Eggman's profile provides commentary about his character;

[​IMG]

In the above text he's characterized as being akin to a child who is incapable of discerning between right and wrong. It's also stated that Eggman is an alias and Robotnik is his true name.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  5. Pengi

Pengi

This is something I was going to post about too. Sonic sneezing when he senses danger is also mentioned in a chapter of the Shogaku Sannensei Sonic manga, from early 1992: https://twitter.com/YmPXden33UUYCF3/status/1133732275965767680

There's also official art of Sonic sneezing, as seen on this pin badge: https://sonicthehedgehogcollectible...9e2720f-113e-454d-abff-2ad16df9a697_orig.jpeg

(Seems to be western art, but possibly redrawn from Japanese art?)

And unused sneezing sprites in Sonic CD: http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_CD/Hidden_content#Art

An early, and very obscure, part of the Sonic lore indeed. Has anyone else seen any other instances of Sonic sneezing?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Oh wow, mystery solved almost five years later! Awesome!

7. Powpuck

Powpuck

That's super cool Sonic once had a spider-sense! It's comparably much more gross, so it's not hard to imagine why it didn't, erm, stick around.

Apropos of noses, was there ever an explanation for why Sonic touches his nose? I assumed it was one more feature lifted from Santa Claus like his shoes' colors.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    That was until someone more well versed in Japanese culture said it signified something else. Any ideas?

8. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Well he was born on Christmas Island... :V

9. Powpuck

Powpuck

Apparently danger-sense reappeared in Secret Rings, albeit his "quills tingle" instead. (@2:06):

A tidbit not lost on those many "character battle" wastes of time, unsurprisingly.

Never mind that what real hedgehogs do to their spines is far more revolting than a sneeze.

10. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    Not really sonic related, but this ultrasonic cleaner amused me while searching for Sonic 3D on ebay

[​IMG]

11. Vertekins

Vertekins

Translating Sonic info. Working on Concept Mobius. Also, trying to find extant footage of original Sonic CD special stage.
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  12. Pengi

Pengi

How interesting!

I have to wonder if the Joypolis Twitter account was simply making up their own explanation, unaware of the lore around Sonic sneezing.

13. Vertekins

Vertekins

Going on more about some of my translation work of Sonic material, I finally got an answer as to why Sleeping Egg Zone in Sonic Chaos has so many insta-kill pits; It's a floating island. I learned this from the zone's description in the JP manual;

[​IMG]

"A strange island floating in the sky. Actually, it is a fantasy world created by Eggman! There are suspicious Eggman images in some areas of the island. Be careful not to fall…!”

And there was me thinking that Sonic Chaos' zones all take place on South Island...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I always got the vibe that SEZ was floating, there's nothing but blue skies and clouds in the background. :P Still cool to see a English translation of the manual though! Do you plan on translating the entire manual? :) Also interesting tidbit about Sonic sneezing too!

15. Pengi

Pengi

That's really cool! I don't think any of the JP manual zone descriptions have been translated before. The Chaotix manual seems to give some context to its stages too.

16. Vertekins

Vertekins

Well, I've so far translated all of the zone descriptions from the JP manuals of Game Gear Sonic 2 and Sonic Chaos as well as numerous character profiles. They're on my Tumblr blog (A link to which is in my signature) in the "My Translations" tag. I've wondered if posting my translations in this thread would be on-topic or whether I should open a new thread and feature my Sonic translation work in that. A lot of my discoveries through translating are fascinating. Like the Joypolis Sonic statue having a voice clip that confirms that Sonic is actually an avid reader especially during the rainy season.

What do you think?

17. Pengi

Pengi

I think that would be a worthwhile thread. If you have a bunch of translations, it would be better to have them all in one place, rather than scattered throughout this massive thread.

18. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Or just put them on the wiki. Whichever (or both).

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Wiki wiki wiki wiki.

20. Vertekins

Vertekins

Another fact about Sonic I don't think has been brought-up in this thread - Naoto Oshima seems to have confirmed that Sonic is an orphan in reply to someone's question on Twitter;

[​IMG]