don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Nintorch

Nintorch

Just another programmer. Member
    There are a lot actually..
    Oh, really? 2 player behaves like a real player, very good job then

2. Out of curiosity, since a lot of you guys are probably better at the game than I am, just how difficult is it for you guys to clear two red spheres in a single jump? Admittedly, I'm more of a casual player, but I almost never attempt that since there's usually an easier way around with a bit of looking, and I'll only try it if I'm in a situation where I've really screwed myself over somehow.

Anyways, I guess what I'm getting at is, is there a difficulty setting for the CPU player, and would it involve tweaking the AI so it's less likely to attempt things like jumping two red spheres at once?

By the way, since I'm thinking of the topic, how good are you guys at something like consistently jumping through a chain of red spheres without hitting any? Like, if there were three or four lined up, and managing to make multiple jumps and only land between them to get through? I've managed that out of sheer dumb luck before, and never intentionally.

3. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    The red spheres are easier to clear than the blue or bumper spheres.

The reason is you only have to be "in the area" of a blue/bumper to collect/hit it, this is why the collect SFX plays before you actually touch it. The red spheres on the other hand, you have to actually touch them 100% on the spot, this creates a sort of handicap or difficulty tilt making the stages easier to play. If you try to jump over two blue spheres, you will find it difficult to clear the second one, but the red spheres are pretty much a breeze.

With that in mind, the time it takes for you to land and before you're allowed to jump again is just barely longer than the distance of two squares, so if you timed your jumping just right you will perhaps be able to clear between 3 and 4 sets before you will land on a red, this is unavoidable from my experience, you will always eventually land on a red no matter how frame perfect you are.

As for CPU difficulty, we do have plans to have varying difficulty CPU's, the one above is normal difficulty, but a more difficult CPU will know the layout 100% and know the best routes to take, while a more novice CPU we'll probably introduce random mistakes, like... delayed turning to simulate the CPU not being quick enough to react to turning or something like that. In addition, the places you'll spawn in the level will be somewhat randomised, so in theory that'll change the difficulty rate here or there.

4. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Question: I know you're implementing CPU players into the Blue Spheres hack, but, if this is meant to be part of Battle Race, does that mean the entire hack will eventually have CPU players or is it just for Blue Spheres?

5. Nintorch

Nintorch

What do you guys think about that BG? (warning: large images (~640x470)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Japan
    A little over-dithered, but I think it looks splendid~

I'm curious as to what you'll do with the FG next =3

7. Nintorch

Nintorch

Aw, Thanks :3

I think I'll put a mix of Tiny Toon Adventures and some sonic 3 zone sprites (MHZ i think)

Stay tuned :specialed:

8. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    There’s something about the moon in the first image that makes it look out of place, but the forest in the second image looks amazing!

9. Wafer

Wafer

Find me on Twitter instead Member
    The moon is probably over large for a realistic setting, but I think it looks great for a Sonic game! Definitely could use some hand editing, or less dithering, but the style is agreeable.

10. Nintorch

Nintorch

Thank you all for the replies and such words :3

Yeah, then I'm gonna replace that moon with another.
    What about this?
    [​IMG]

11. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    That looks much better, it blends in with the background and isn't out of place. :)

12. Zycor

Zycor

Unlike Sonic, I don't chuckle. Member
    Beats me.
    Am I missing something? I can't get Spoilers to work. I know it's a little off topic but some of the screenshots posted are in spoiler tags and I can't view them.

13. Devon

Devon

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Tech Member
    your mom
    [​IMG]

Slowly, but surely, it's being worked on.
    (Graphics by BinBowie, VAdaPEGA, LooneyDude, and TheStoneBanana in this screenshot, dialogue in the textbox by Misinko)

=================================
    Twitter videos of this level in action by BinBowie:
    #1 #2
    =================================

Other notes:
    - While it's been like so for like 2 years now, it's no longer based on Sonic 1, but rather, it's been moved to an optimized Sonic 3K/Crackers hybrid engine with 32x32px sized chunks that can be flipped. It is also using AMPS+Dual PCM by Natsumi and MarkeyJester respectively.
    - Lover's sprites are still in the process of being redone in VAda's style instead of the Sonic 1 style, so that's why some of the sprites look like edits of Sonic 1 sprites while others are more detailed.
    - At this point, a good majority of the core mechanics have been implemented, it's mainly a matter of developing the gameplay around it now and also getting graphics done. The soundtrack is pretty much complete, though there may be some changes later down the line (at this point in time, there are a whopping 70 original tracks and jingles, all done from 2016 to 2019 by BinBowie! Here's a preview)
    - We are only really working on this when there's free time these days. We are pretty busy with our lives now, with things like jobs. It's only cancelled when we say it is.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  14. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Mind is BLOWN. Shit like this really inspires me.

Are you including the entire Blue Spheres set, or just the stock 14 maps? A CPU player running all 128,016,000 stages is something I would strongly consider running on a TV somewhere in my house as a permanent installation.

15. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Japan
    Thanks!

It will include all levels from S3K including the hidden ones, and we'll include all level combinations from blue spheres challenge by means of a separate selection which'll allow you to select any combination you want.

We also have plans for a blue spheres stage maker in-game, you'll be able to place the spheres/rings wherever you want, and it will be able to save to SRAM so it can be loaded another day, and yeah, you'll be able to play against the CPU with it, or let two CPU's fight it out.

These are practically easy to add at this stage, the difficult parts are virtually done, and it's just really a matter of finding the time to build on it. If you have any ideas or suggestions or requests, shout either me or Natsumi a PM and if it's doable, we'll look into it.

16. AURORA☆FIELDS

AURORA☆FIELDS

The cute one here Tech Member
    Finland
    AMPS
    So, speaking of that improved DAC quality...

Big thanks to redhotsonic for recording the video from hardware, and MarkeyJester and Nat The Porcupine for helping to make this all possible. Couldn't have done it without the major help from both!

You may see those CRAM dots at the side, as it turns out, I need to adjust the h-int code, since this does not happen on my systems at all. I find it quite interesting since these are supposedly systems with the same timings anyway...

But yes, quite a lot of trickery and dirty tricks went into making this happen, but I think the result speaks for itself. This is probably among the cleanest you could make the samples sound without actually replacing the samples themselves~

17. Greenknight9000

Greenknight9000

I think I'm going to cry.
    This literally is about to become Sonic the Hedgehog 3: the Arcade Edition
    Seriously, I think this would work out GREAT if there was a modified version that accepted coins.

18. Jdpense

Jdpense

Sonic 2 Chaos Adventure
    What I am showcasing isn't too special but I figured I should show it off...

It's basically demonstrating the menus and save feature for my upcoming hack...

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I like the menus and I love the idea of a pause menu because so few hacks bother adding one, so it's a nice feature. I only have 2 minor critiques. I feel like the menu options should be up a few pixels as they're kinda off center and it looks a tad strange. The other thing is that is one crusty Genesis controller graphic. Maybe try something a bit more stylized?

20. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    It's worth noting several different games have pre-drawn Mega Drive controllers to nick spritework from if you don't feel like you're capable of drawing one yourself - I believe at least one FIFA has one, for example.