don't click here

Sonic Incursion (RELEASED)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Ell678, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ok, so far I've gotten through the main game as Sonic (kinda, I'll explain later) and I've gotten to Hex Heights as Metal Sonic. Below are some general comments and bugs I've encountered:

Gameplay: Both characters control well but Metal Sonic is far more comfortable to play as. There were many moments in my playthrough when I crashed into something I didn't have time to react to as Sonic but was able to as Metal Sonic, since Metal can stomp, use the homing attack, and I believe controls slightly differently in a way that I find beneficial. Sonic's moveset is rather limited, but in addition to making things harder it also just makes Sonic's moveset feel kind of empty, like something is missing. If a drop dash or insta shield move were possible I think it'd flesh out Sonic a bit more. Keep in mind I played through the game as Sonic first, so I had a better idea of the layouts the second time around.

Bugs/Comments
    General
    - Some of the 2D splines in the game are messed up and can cause issues. I believe you're aware of some of these already but figured I'd just point it out
    - Not sure if it's a bug but characters don't bounce back when they take damage. Would it be possible to add something like that as a feature? Keeping control while taking damage has thrown me off a few times, especially because I sometimes get stuck and continue to bounce on enemies while I'm taking damage and will eventually take more damage or I might die
    - Some of the death boundaries should be brought up a bit more, you can fall into some pits for a while
    - Just a general suggestion but would it be possible to add a death animation rather than just having Sonic/Metal Sonic go ragdoll?
    - Jumping next to walls is kind of strange in this game. It sometimes feels like you hit a ceiling that's not there.
    - Some hazards are hard to predict. Maybe if the camera was zoomed out a bit or if a Sonic CD esq camera was implemented that would help a bit?
    - Very minor, but te electric shield is very orange and kind of makes me think it's a fire shield sometimes. Maybe it could be a bit more white like in Sonic 3

SSZ
    - One time I jumped onto a speed shoe monitor from really high up and for some reason the screen went black, I was awarded 5 lives, and I couldn't control anything. Reseting the level fixed the issue

IIZ
    - Act 2 seems to be devoid of any checkpoints which makes dying at the boss extra unforgiving, especially given how random this one seems to be.
    - Sonic's Act 3 didn't load properly 100% of the time (I mentioned this one before). It wouldn't load any character and it just faded to black and restarted the level (oddly the life icon didn't load in those instances so it wasn't like I lost a life). Holding left at the start of the level seemed to fix it.

RRZ
    - It's possible sometimes to escape the 2D boundary at the start of the level, you then gain 3D control and can run past the whole level

CCZ
    - There was a wall I got forced into as Sonic and then could not escape the crouching position. I could charge and spindash but I couldn't go anywhere
    - Act 3 has some odd invisible walls in the sections where you get the emeralds

PPZ
    - Sometimes the fans don't work. They'll appear to be on but they won't lift you up in the air. Dying and starting back from a checkpoint sometimes fixes this
    - Sometimes in Act 2 I was loaded back at an earlier checkpoint in the level, but upon dying again I was sent to the correct one.
    - This is a fun one. In Metal Sonic's Act 3 it's still possible to turn into Super Sonic if you've collected all the emeralds as Sonic already in CCZ 3, and it's actually Super Sonic as you turn into the GDK Super Sonic model in a T-pose. You can beat the level this way, but upon finishing the act it will say that "Sonic Knuckl has got through" instead of "Metal Sonic has got through"

HHZ
    - Only thing to report here is that sometimes after you run through those auto sequences that run around the stone pillars it can be kind of confusing to know when to hold the other direction (say you go into one of those stone pillar sequences holding right, but you exit going left. You have to hold right for a bit longer even though you're going left at this point, but if you start holding left too early you'll go right).

DDZ
    - Those mobius strips are very buggy. If you don't go through them fast enough you'll be thrown into either the foreground or background where you oddly won't die. You either have to restart the level or find a way to glitch yourself further out of bounds to hit a death plane underground.

AAZ
    - This level is just frustrating. Maybe it was just fatigue but yea, it was something. I think some signage might help in this level, as if you fall from higher up and end up on a lower path it's sometimes not 100% clear as to where you should go
    - In Act 2 the ship that shoots at you despawns if you die after you hit the checkpoint that's after the first building (which IMO was a relief)
    - Act 3 as Sonic is kind of a mess. The concept itself is already hard enough, if not unfair because you're given no rings (Those Metal Sonics are a bit too much), but it's also buggy. Sometimes instead of the ship moving directly over you it moved to the far right where you couldn't hit it. Sometimes the outer boundaries moved in at a faster pace than other times. Actually the only time I beat it was when neither Metal Sonic felt like loading and instead of getting an end act tally the screen turned black and I was still able to jump and move around, so I wasn't actually sure if I beat the boss or not.

Overall I liked the game. It's a bit rough around the edges and a bit unfair feeling at times but it's very ambitious, looks and sounds nice, and it plays well, with some very Sonic esq level gimmicks sprinkled about. Great job, and congrats for being almost done with one of the most fleshed out Sonic GDK projects to date.

2. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Thanks for a very informative report. Out of interest, what are your specs? What kind of performance are you getting? I'm also really interested to see what you think of Metal Sonic's AAZ act 3.

Some of the bugs are baffling, like the SSZ one and IIZ3S. I've gone and fixed Metal Sonic transforming, that's a classic. The rest are being looked into.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Performance wise the game is running great on my PC at 1920x1080 full screen with Extreme graphic settings. I'll post my specs in a bit, but I just wanted to post some glitches I encountered:

HHZ Act 2: The falling ceiling that you have to run away from can kill you if you touch it, even if you aren't being crushed.

HHZ Act 2 Boss: It's possible to kill the boss as Metal Sonic with a homing attack. This will result in the ship continuing to shoot missiles after the boss is defeated, even while the score is tallying up. You can get hurt and possibly die while the score is tallying.

EDIT: Got around to Metal Sonic's AAZ 3. This Act 3 was actually enjoyable, although the black Metal Sonic could maybe be a bit more of a threat here, this boss was a bit easy. Fun though.

4. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I specifically made an invisible wall so you couldn't homing attack the HHZ boss, this has been in since the SAGE 16 demo. I'll check this tomorrow in case I've done something silly like group-deleted it or moved it by accident. Did you die before fighting it, or during the fight?

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I believe I did die once before that boss. I'll test it again tomorrow. Maybe you could just make it so that the black metal sonic object can't be homing attacked? It doesn't make sense to homing attack it in most cases anyway.

Btw if there's anything specific you'd like me to test let me know.

6. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    New version up.

Various bugs are fixed, like checkpoint / spawning issues, and some bad splines.

7. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Still going!

[youtube]

Yeah, I know, a pretty pointless upload. I'll show something a bit more substantial soon, like a devblog or something.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  8. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    [youtube]

Basically, I talk while screenshots roll. I'm still looking for help with that menu guys...

9. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Now that I have a computer that could actually run this, I'm gonna have to give it a spin. I've had my eye on it this whole thread and been looking forward to giving it a try.

10. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Thank you! Keep in mind that all the previous demos or the beta are now really out of date.

11. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
  12. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Second devblog is up!

13. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Obligatory space level pic

[​IMG]

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh very nice!

15. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Hello everyone! It's been a while since I've made an update. Here are some recent changes / additions -

- NEW Act 3 for Ruined Relic Zone, exclusively for Sonic. The original Act 3 is now for Metal Sonic only.
    - Tails is now animated for his brief appearences.
    - Further work on the "main" intro (as in, before the menu).
    - A bucket load of animation improvements for Metal Sonic, Metallix Sentinel and Metallix with some cutscene improvements.

In other news, I've decided to go all out with splitting up the Act 3's. Except for Sunkissed Shore, each Act 3 will now be unique for each character. This was almost the case anyway, and I explained away the characters doing the same thing as "video game logic" in the few areas they did so (Hex Heights being an example).

Considering the "3D Blast" gimmick seemed popular for that stage, I'll be utilising it again for that Act 3, just with a new layout.

16. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    [​IMG]

Well, it's time to work on the cutscenes...seeing as you can now play from start to finish as both characters.

17. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Hello everyone. It's been nearly two months since the last update!

Due to some changes in my real life, Incursion progress has been rather slow as of late. Real life always comes first obviously, but I have been able to put some work in here and there. Please don't think I have stopped! This is what I've been working on recently -

- Ending cinematics for both characters. Yes, really.
    - Continuing work on the main intro. This has so many moving actors it is taking a lot of time to finish.

I'm still aiming to have Incursion fully playable and released by the end of the year. I hope it will be worth the wait.

18. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion

19. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    So, regarding Incursion...I've started the arduous process of going back to each level and refining, changing and bug testing. Considering some levels have been in previous public demos there is little to do in them, but some desperately need some polish. It's also nice to go back to stuff I made years (!) ago with the knowledge and experience I now have. For those interested in when I actually finish this thing - completion at the end of the year is still the goal. All the playable stuff is in the game, leaving just some cinematics left. When I've made a start on them, I'll have enough material for a final trailer. In the meantime, have some other brief updates -

- Implemented UDK's "Full Motion Blur". This blur is created by moving objects, not the camera. Ergo, fast animations on the characters now blur slightly, creating a really nice effect on rolls / jumps without affecting the surrounding world.
    - Rankings are now being tweaked. It is now possible to S rank a stage regardless of time, as long as you find 4 Red Rings.
    - Fixed the "Spiny" Badnik's projectile randomly not hitting the player.
    - Various external fixes, like changing the standard "UDK Game" and "Built with UDK" to read "Sonic Incursion".
    - Asphalt Airway Act 3 for Sonic is 10x less shitty.
    - Badnik weapons now use the proper priorities, so they can't kill each other.

20. Nice to see this project still progressing! Looking forward to the result.