don't click here

MegaSD

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by ICEknight, Jun 18, 2019.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    http://youtu.be/8fE0GR9prQE?t=1123
    (18:43)

In a nutshell, everything a $170 Everdrive does plus Mega-CD support, for $232.

Cons Slight inconveniences:
    -Nomad requires a mod so that CD sound can be carried through the cartridge pins.
    -CD 32x games require a future adapter to plug the MegaSD to the external port.

Link.

2. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    I don't know why someone hasn't made a flash based device to replace the CD drive inside a real Sega CD that's compatible with both the model 1 & 2. The cart is a nice idea but this has the same price point as a real Sega CD actually goes for online.

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Insanely awesome piece of kit. Will have to look at this when I can justify the cost.

4. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    Mega-CD capabilities confirmed not to work on the Wondermega/X-Eye

5. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Considering this is the price of an Everdrive and a Sega CD, if you don't already have those, this is a good buy.

But I have them already.

6. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Really cool tech. I hope it works in the Analogue Mega SG as I do plan to get one at some point so playing Mega CD games without the original hardware will be a major plus.

EDIT:

Forget it, 26:42 of the video confirms it works with the Mega SG. :v:

7. Tets

Tets

one rude dude Oldbie
    I saw the RetroRGB review yesterday, this thing looks seriously dope. Finally a cart for Sega games that's on the same tier as the SD2SNES! I already have an Everdrive X5, but I'm told Stone Age Gamer in the US will be doing trade-ins for other Megadrive flash carts once the Mega SD is available on their store. I'm very much tempted to throw in for one of these - it's not exactly cheap to get a working CD unit and maintain it these days, so if I'm spending big bucks I may as well get an FPGA cart instead with less moving parts to worry about.

8. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It's worth noting that the sound is not 100% accurate to an original Mega-CD due to the different filtering. CD audio sounds just a bit muffled while PCM is a bit too crisp.
    http://youtu.be/iACMZfhx1Ms?t=283
    (4:43)

Sadly, SMS FM seems to sound way different:
    http://youtu.be/iACMZfhx1Ms?t=1010
    (16:50)

PS: I hope the timepoints in YouTube embeds work in the new forums...

9. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Another glorified emulator? No thanks.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I think only the SMS FM and disk access is emulation here.

11. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    TFA (ok, video) link confirmed that FM is an FPGA implementation literally right after they did the comparison. Guy claims it's a difference in audio filtering. I can't say I buy that reasoning since they sound completely different to me, but I trust that it's not emulation.

12. Could be a lossy problem? The audio may be lower due to the fact that .mp3s run along side the ISOs instead of audio from the CD.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hadn't thought about that possibility, but I think this only does BIN+CUE.