don't click here

Team Sonic Racing (Sumo Digital/May 21st 2019)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by 360, May 25, 2018.

1. Yuzu

Yuzu

it plays great but the online is literally broken. There's random micro stuttering that occurs for everyone in certain tracks, but overall it seems to run pretty smoothly on a variety of systems.

I think the online barely working is the main issue here.

2. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    I'm getting "Stranded on Indie's Island, bored of playing Minecraft"-vibes from playing Team Sonic Racing. But I like it! Jun Senoue is the man. But I dunno about the localization, the announcer sounds way too intimidating.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Pretty much what I was trying to imply, I might have misworded myself.

4. Yuzu

Yuzu

No worries! Just making sure that we were on the same page.

5. JRokujuushi

JRokujuushi

J64 Member
    If anyone hasn't picked up TSR yet, Walmart currently has it on sale for $32.84.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Team-Sonic-Racing-Sega-Nintendo-Switch-010086770070/481595318
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Team-Sonic-Racing-Sega-Xbox-One-010086640892/845535438
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Team-Sonic-Racing-Sega-PlayStation-4-010086632392/639738467

Sale price is also in effect in-store.

6. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Team Sonic Racing debuted at #7 in the UK game sales charts for all of May. For comparison's sake, Mania Plus' monthly debut was at #13 and Forces' monthly debut was #17. Shows a definitive upswing so far with regards to monthly Sonic sale debuts in the country.

Report also notes the Switch version sold "particularly well"--39% of sales came from that version, putting it at a dead heat against the PS4 version, which comprised of 40% of sales. The Xbox One version made up the remaining 20% difference of sales.

7. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    I'm at Sky Road's ring challenge now. Is it a must to customize vehicles? Looks like adventure mode wants me to switch between characters for each challenge, but why would you wanna do that, right?

AND...

When will that idiot Dodon Pa buy Cream the Emerl-Buggy?

Edit: Team Sonic Racing is a good buy.

8. Speeps

Speeps

For anyone interested Windii's got the cutscenes from the Japanese version uploaded and subbed:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JdSFCY7R0o[/youtube]

9. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    NPD charts for May turned up earlier this week. Team Sonic Racing just barely registered into the Top 20 General at #19. Nowhere to be seen on any of the platform-specific charts, not even on Switch. For comparison's sake: Forces on its release month didn't make the general Top 20, but did chart at #7 on the Switch-specific charts. TSR in its debut wasn't even to take away mindshare away from Mario Kart 8, despite that game technically being five years old--that was #11 in the general Top 20 and second to Smash Bros. Ultimate on the Switch charts.

Obviously not a great debut (as many have predicted, lukewarm reviews, CTR coming out soon, and the lack of advertising arguably helped to bury it), but it's also worth noting Sonic games almost never get into NPD's General Top 10 (and General Top 20 if provided) at all, barring a few exceptions like the Mario and Sonic entries. TSR just skirting by into the Top 20 is also a statement on how there wasn't much going on this month. (It's going to be a fun watch when June's NPD report come out next week, with talk of CTR dominating the charts (likely across the board) and TSR won't even register at all.)

...you know, I think by this point it should be apparent that simply producing cheaper games with less marketing and smaller production values isn't actually a winning strategy for the franchise. Has anyone at Sega actually considered just putting the game series on the shelf for some years? It's not like they need multiple Sonic games a year anymore to please shareholders like it was a decade ago. It also isn't as if they can't rely on other properties; Total War: Three Kingdoms had a better debut in NPD (#3 in the general Top 10) than practically every single Sonic game that we know charted on NPD since the mid-2000s.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yea they gotta start pumping money into this series, it can't keep getting by on cheap budgets and cut corners. CTR has prob sold more today than TSR has in a month.

11. Nova

Nova

I'm sitting here and trying to come up with reasons why this wouldn't be a smart move but I'm actually drawing a bit of a blank. Public perception linking Sega to Sonic has definitely lessened at least a little in recent years, at least from what I've seen, and I don't exactly see many people clamoring for a new mainline game right now. I wouldn't be opposed to it, but I really don't think Sega would ever actually do it.

12. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Crash Team Racing launched last night on digital stores with a broken online mode. An hour later, Beenox announced that they were hard at work on fixing the issue. This morning, they pushed out a patch that resolved the problem.

We are at the month mark for Team Sonic Racing. SEGA and SUMO Digital haven't said a single word about fixing the network errors the game is suffering from that is leading to all these dead and empty lobbies.

Worked for Capcom. Mega Man and Street Fighter both went dormant without any new mainline games for nearly a decade. Both of them were flagship franchises and were the first thing you thought of when you said "Capcom". Their returns with Street Fighter IV and Mega Man 11 were met with positive reception and financial success. Shit, just look at fucking Crash Bandicoot. The power of a nostalgic return to form with a quality title behind it does wonders for a brand. Ninja Turtles gets a revival once every 10 years. Devil May Cry is king again with 5. There's a ton of examples when this is handled well. SEGA clearly doesn't know what to do with the franchise. They should be taking notes, because if they do go down this route, they're going to be in the list of bad examples. Mania is another example, but I'm sure that shit was a fluke and I doubt they are going to repeat that success again.

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Mania is their exception to the rule. Idk if they realize that though. Their sonic logic is stuck in 2010 and they have never moved forward.

I hate to say it because I love Sonic more than any gaming series, but... Sonic needs a long break. It needs a lot of thought and care and it's not having that. Fuck the 30th in 2 years. No more anniversary titles. Give sonic a fucking 7 year break and make him... ugh great again

14. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    While I understand the sentiment, the continued problem with the Sonic Franchise is BAD GAMES. Shareholders who more than likely demand the yearly Sonic franchise games (just like they do with Call of Duty and I suspect will be the inevitable sodomization of Crash Bandicoot) yes, didn't help the things. I recall awhile back that Sonic Team used to be split into an "A" and "B" team for just this purpose (which also lines up with how Call of Duty has three development teams so they can do the yearly thing without burning out). However, while this may be part of the root cause, gamer perception is still:

Sonic 06
    Sonic Forces
    Ow the Edge

Where the problem has been exactly what you can find in my signature: Burnt out developers without a damn idea what to do with the franchise. Sonic Forces (allegedly) had FOUR YEARS of development time and was still a wet turd. Technically, there was a freeze on Sonic content where the developers had time to refresh and rethink what the hell they need to do. Clearly, that didn't work which is why we question whether or not Sonic Team still exists. It has little to do with the Sonic Cycle™, Shadow the Edgelord™, "They've been torturing him for months"™, Sonic fans are never satisfied™, or any the jokes we make about bad Sonic games, it has to do with the games being BAD. Even if they are low budget games, so long as they are GOOD Sonic games (as opposed to good games with Sonic shoved into them or bad games) they will go a long way in fixing what's been broken about Sonic since....I'm gonna say Sonic Heroes.

Capcom was in the shitter until recently from decisions made way back when Kenji "We need to outsource EVERYTHING" Inafune was still there. The recent influx of good games was them finally getting their shit together (Street Fighter V "flopping" V-triggered it by the looks of things). Of anything, the example shows what happens when you GET YOUR HOUSE IN ORDER which Sega seems to be doing with their willingness to delay Sonic games as opposed to shitting them out like they did with Sonic Boom.

15. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    The Street Fighter revival happened before their outsource era and Mega Man as a franchise was not affected by those outsource decisions since the series was still mostly produced by inhouse teams or long time collaborator, IntiCreates. Both of those series floundered in commercial and critical success due to series fatigue. The Street Fighter IV example was also possible because Inafune decided to humor Ono. Most of their legacy franchises were not touched by the outsource craze. It was mainly recent franchises that premiered in the 360 generation like Lost Planet, Dead Rising, as well as completely new IPs such as Dark Void or Remember Me. Devil May Cry and Bionic Commando were the only classic franchises that were affected.

16. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    1) Street Fighter 4 was a fluke. That's why Street Fighter V was a corporate "let's make esport gambling money" mess that couldn't even have a proper arcade mode. Even though Inafune has been gone for awhile, the shadow of his corporate decisions still showed their influence until recently with the aforementioned Megaman 11, Resident Evil 7 & 2 remake, Devil May Cry 5....All of which were greenlighted due to re-releases of older games to show gamer demand which is what happened with Street Fighter 4 which had a re-release of Street Fighter 2 on Xbox live.

2) I take it you never heard of the Megaman X western version that was only canceled due to Inafune leaving?
    https://www.technobuffalo.com/maverick-hunter-is-capcoms-canceled-gritty-mega-man-reboot

3) As you correctly pointed out, the two examples were made (mostly) in-house...Which is how EVERY BAD SONIC GAME has been made. The corporate dysfunction at Sega is different from the one at Capcom but both are clear cases of said corporate dysfunction. The difference being Sega has an added lack of talent.

17. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Played this for the first time today (happy 28th, Sonic!)

My main issue with the team gimmick is simply that you can do really well, and even throw boxes back for your teammates, but that doesn't mean you're going to get a 1-2-3 finish, entirely out of your control. Other than that, it's your standard polished Sumo racer, worth the £29 I spent.

18. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Question about the speed characters: So power characters plowing through obstacles and technique characters off-roading well (since they can all fly, or at least hover) is quite straightforward. The game says that speed characters have a sort of deflective barrier to block projectiles, but doesn't really explain much about it. Is it something the player has to trigger? Is it a flat miss chance? Does it have a random chance to deflect? Has anyone looked into this at all?

19. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    You have to be boosting while the object is about to hit you for it to activate, it's called the Radial Burst. It's very easy to miss that it's even happening until you know that it can happen.

20. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    As in the boost Wisp, or do drifting and dash panels count?