don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Oh thanks, I had missed that while trying to avoid visual contact with that horrid CG Sonic. =P

2. Powpuck

Powpuck

It's been a while since I or anyone has made some conjecture, and this one has been on my mind for longer than I care to admit. :specialed:/>/>/>

[​IMG]

Do you suppose Vector's "[belief] in the existence of God" is a remnant of when he was briefly based on the Blues Brothers?

Furthermore, anyone see any resemblance between Vector and Ben Ali Gator(Fantasia, 1940)?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Like, I'm sure I've seen slender bipedal crocs in cartoons older than Fantasia, but like everything besides the mono-eye and rubber hose arms are nearly identical.

3. Pengi

Pengi

That's uncanny! Surely it can't be a coincidence.

What's extra interesting is that Vector's earlier design didn't share any of Ben Ali Gator's features. So it seems that Fantasia inspired the redesign, but not the original character concept.

Speaking of design influences, has Tondemo Senshi Muteking been mentioned here at all?

[​IMG]

EDIT: By sheer coincidence, a reboot of Muteking was announced just hours after I posted this. Fortuitously, someone posted the villains' original transformation sequence on Twitter.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I feel like I've seen eggman drawn similarly to the big guy in green in some of the early manga

5. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages

Is it me, or that "shadow" from the picture right at the horrid CG sonic's foot... isn't Shadow, but Terios???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the final game, for comparison. The entire scene is quite different, fro background color to Eggman model and of course, Shadow/Terios

[​IMG]

6. Why conjecture and not facts with solid evidence?
    I mean, it's not like it says that he's "on a mission from God," which was their catchphrase? It seems tenuous but possible.

I don't know if I'd say "nearly identical;" there are several differences beyond the two mentioned; they both just seem to have a design of "tall, skinny crocodile."

...Shadow is Terios. Unless something's come up that I'm aware of, Terios was simply the original name they used before changing it to Shadow.

7. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG]
    There's your full resolution screenshot. We've actually had this for a while, along with the others in that scan.

8. Pengi

Pengi

There are a lot of similarities - the shape of the snout, the two visible front teeth, the hoop-like shoulder joints. And how often are cartoon crocodiles drawn skinny anyway? These are all very particular design traits.

You'd be hard pressed to find any other cartoon crocodiles that look like Ben Ali Gator and '90s Vector.

9. Powpuck

Powpuck

The horizontal rings on their bellies even match. Additionally, the topmost one curves downwards instead upwards like the rest.

Because that'd eliminate 80% of the posts on this forum. I'm just being forthright about it. Would you prefer I misuse "theory"?

But Vector believing in a god is anomalous within the context of Sonic characters, to the point of incongruity. Vector being fashioned after the Blues Brothers (which he clearly is in that Fantasy Factory image) would neatly account for that; the point isn't that the BB are on a mission from god, but that they necessarily have to believe in a god in order to be on said mission.

The Blues Brothers made a big impact in Japan inasmuch as an Occidental IP could. It even inspired the Runaway Five from EarthBound.

• List
  10. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Yup. I remember things like Riding Bean and the anime for Art of Fighting had a crazy amount of inspiration from the Blues Brothers. It definitely leaked it's way into a lot of Japanese projects around that time.

• List
  11. Linkabel

Linkabel

I have a quick question that hopefully someone can answer. Does anyone know what fonts were used for "The Most Famous Hedgehog" and the "Don't just sit there and waste your time..." taglines?

https://imgur.com/a/lnkxUL0

12. Powpuck

Powpuck

13. Linkabel

Linkabel

Awesome, thank you!

14. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    While we're on the topic of fonts, what's the best way to format an image with the type in question before uploading to a site like What The Font? Sometimes I swear I couldn't make it more clear (to a point where I'd shop the text out of a photo or what have you, even messing with the contrast to make it stand out more), and the results still don't seem very accurate. Thanks in advance, but also feel free to trash this post if it's too off topic.

15. Powpuck

Powpuck

Yeah, the beat matches I could find using that weren't even within the top twenty, many of the top results were way off. But still, they did show up eventually (if they're proper matches at all), so I don't know what its deal is. The site also apparently has an option to ask an actual typeface nerd for guidance, so that might be worth looking into.

16. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I gotcha. Good to know, thanks!

17. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Confirms it's not a beta design. Shame, it'd have been hype. I'm imagining the beta designs might not have been modelled at all.

I'm guessing Ashthedragon saw the way the right shoe's sole is angled as being a red boot together with the other shoe, which it does look like in the blurry magazine screenshot

18. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Question, why don't we have better pics of the Sonic 2 concept art (especially Ocean Wind Zone) yet?

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Because not enough people upload things to our wikis :eng101:

20. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Do proper scans of those pages even exist?