don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. Wafer

Wafer

Find me on Twitter instead Member
    Trying to fix that for you, friend.
    So you can have us update 50% of the next tutorial that someone probably put hours into? Nope.
    Sure they have. It's right there in that guide you're linking.
    Yep, that's written from the perspective of the author, an experienced hacker. When you're one of those you'll have the same perspective, maybe.

I didn't have to spend like half an hour of my evening trying to help you, on top of the multitude of posts I already posted trying to set you right. I did it out of generosity. Have some grace about it. Or better yet just read at least some of the first two links I posted.

2. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    You don't get to request anything.

You can ask for someone to help you, out of kindness of their own heart, but I guarantee you'll find people are much less inclined to help if you repeatedly prove to not do your own homework and show no progress in your line of questioning. Who wants to waste their time helping someone who demonstrably can't help themselves?

Start over. Follow everyone's advice and brush up on 68K assembly, taking care to learn the proper terminology. Explore the game engine and learn where various things are handled -- sometimes your intuition leads you down a false path. Then come back with concrete questions about specific lines of code and I assure you that if there are people around who can help you, they will help you.

3. MEGAGEN

MEGAGEN

Level 3
    England
    Optimizing Sonic Franchise
    With all due respect what are you talking about?

I have not demanded anything, I requested some help, stop twisting my words, its exactly the same as you just wrote.

We have already attempted many times to convert 100% of the strings, look at the post if you don't believe me. I wrote down the logical string converts and I have done much research, what's the point of this entire thread if all you going to do is tell users to 'go learn the engine'
    This thread is for asking basic questions, I have asked a basic question, and all the replies are just, go and learn the engine.

Anyone reading who thinks I am demanding this work be done, please go back a few pages and read the posts and you can make your own decision.

Here is the original question, I wrote the post as polite as one could...

''So it looks like the string 'loc_120A2' is actually converted to 'RingLoss'?

Looking at the script update it could be 'RLoss_Count:'? The segments look the same on that parameter, I'm not 100% sure but this parameter has cmp.w, bcs.s and move.w which the Ringloss hasn't? The link the step 1 is here.

http://info.sonicret...With_Underwater)#Step_1

No wonder why we couldn't find those strings, I can now see where the updates need to be applied but still it looks complicated in other segments?

I have tried to convert the strings with only a logical theory based on this update, before we build the ROM could anyone kindly take alook at the comparison if you don't mind that is?

1. 'loc_120A2' = RingLoss or RLoss_Count:?

2. 'loc_120AA' = @belowmax:

3. 'loc_12132' = @loc_9D62

4. Now, using your emulator, go to the RAM viewer and go to $FFFFAA00 = Would this be possible with Retroarch? We cannot get any other emulator working at all in modern OS?

5. SpillRingData: = Is it possible to use the provided strings instead of loading the Ram Viewer at all in this stage? Can we take the parameters already setup for the new table?

6. loc_120BA = @makerings:

7. DisplaySprite: = Ring_Main:

8. loc_121B8: = RLoss_Bounce:

This is extremely complicated attempting to convert these strings, we are sorry about this.

I will quite happily write a new guide if we can successfully update the optimizations.

Thankyou very much for your time and hope to speak soon.''

Now does that seem like we are demanding anything? Seems like a legit question with plenty of research backed up for a beginner. I'm sorry but you are twisting my words to make me look like I'm not doing any work and I am demanding such works which is simply not true at all.

Thankyou.

4. Super Egg

Super Egg

Master of MS Paint. Member
    Tomball, TEXAS
    Sonic 2 beta 3 hoax
    1. Stop calling them strings, it's incorrect and it makes you look dumber than you already are.

2. Nobody is twisting words. You keep "requesting" help and you have let known how you want people to respond. That's a demand bucko.

3. Maybe instead of constantly asking a question every five seconds, you do some experimentation and maybe learn how m68k works.

4.If you honestly sit here and tell me you can't get Regen with debuggers to work on a modern OS, either your OS isn't that modern, or a Mac, or you are incompetent.

5. If you don't know how to program in m68k, why are you writing a guide on how to port something? Why don't you start small, maybe learn how the language work ..wait, I already said that.

Honestly, everything you have posted has been a headache to understand, and that's like 50% of the reason nobody wants to help you. The other half is that you're incompetentcy goes above and beyond and your lack of willingness to actually learn about you're doing is staggering.

And yes, you've been demanding. Get over yourself.

5. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    As far as I'm concerned, 'port this guide for me' is not a basic question, and you are demanding:

6. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    You haven't done enough work to ask useful questions. There it is, fella.

7. MEGAGEN

MEGAGEN

Level 3
    England
    Did you even read the post, did I ever say 'port this guide for me'? No I didn't write fucking anything like that, talk shit pal, I said 'I WILL HAPPILY WRITE THE GUIDE' big fucking difference there pal.

I suppose asking a question is fucking demanding aswell, maybe learn the English language before you make such statements.

If I haven't done enough work to even ask a question then what's the fucking point, bloody hell you all demand everyone learn the entire fucking engine before even asking a question, your all demanding it looks like.

Im done

8. Super Egg

Super Egg

Master of MS Paint. Member
    Tomball, TEXAS
    Sonic 2 beta 3 hoax
    No, we expect you to at least mess around and learn how the language work, much like the rest of us have. Most of us didn't start our own topics asking a fuckton of questions, or constantly shove into the General Q and A topic when things got a little tough. It's ok to ask for help sometimes, but when it's a constant thing, and you are clearly not learning, it gets annoying.

Secondly, you're the demanding cunt here, expecting people to answer your questions because you want them to.

Third, it's pretty clear you need to learn the English language when half of your posts don't make any sense and people have to try and figure it out.

Lastly, I make this point again, why did you attempt to write a guide when you don't understand what is going on? That's the stupidest shit I've ever seen.

Glad you're done, stupidity is contagious.

9. Devon

Devon

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Tech Member
    your mom
    With your question, to me it seems that you are overthinking everything and are diving in too much without a good understanding of how the code you are trying to modify works. It would definitely benefit you to understand some 68000 so you can study the code you want to modify.

I'll just put you out of misery with this: Sonic 2 added some code to the ring loss object for 2P mode, that's why the code isn't exactly the same as in Sonic 1.

10. Dulappy

Dulappy

koronesuki Member
    Greece
    sonic
    Hi, I have a simple (I hope/believe) question. How can I move horizontal and vertical screen locks in sonic 2? I tried searching the s2.asm file for the words “screen lock” something indeed came up, but I don't quite understand assembly. I'm trying to edit DEZ's final boss area (or generally DEZ if I can ever get to moving silver sonic) but the final boss screen lock is preventing me from doing that. I also want to move the vertical lock in DEZ because I want some more vertical space to fit that inbetween level. Can anyone help? Thanks.

11. Pokepunch

Pokepunch

UK
    A Sonic 2 Hack
    You'll want to edit the values found at LevelSize. This will let you change the X and Y size of the levels. You'll also may need to modify LevEvents_DEZ and I think the bosses also control the screen locking.

12. Dulappy

Dulappy

koronesuki Member
    Greece
    sonic
    Thank you I'll try!

13. Dulappy

Dulappy

koronesuki Member
    Greece
    sonic
    It worked! I changed it to the rest of the levels’ value and, although it messed with the background a bit, the vertical locks have been moved to match the rest of the levels! Thank you!

14. MEGAGEN

MEGAGEN

Level 3
    England
    Thanks for the replies.

Ralakimus. Yes indeed this is way beyond my scope/abilities to convert the variables but I tried, failed many times, thanks for the update regarding 2player code within the script edits, so I believe those would have to be rewrote for 1P on Sonic 1? Now that seems even more complicated then what I initially thought.

Super egg, I wanted to write the guide for everyone else interested in fixing the lag, expert or beginner, yes I wouldn't know the exact variables but doesn't matter, as long as the guide was easy enough for a beginner to understand and edit. I tried to do this for everybody, there isn't any ROM hack out there which fixes the ringloss lag.

Also Super Egg. In all my years never been called a cunt on a forum, bloody hell, I don't take offence to your words it just ticked me, now shove your words up your arse you filthy mouthed rat.

What the fuck do you think a guide is? Its for somebody who doesn't know the variables, A guide to help, otherwise they wouldn't actually need the fucking guide, you must be taking the piss now.

So now I have around 70% of the guide converted and now received some help from another forum, to everyone who actually helped me on the quest to fix the lag, thankyou very much, to everyone stuck in their little bubble, two fingers to you pal.

15. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Haha mate nobody asked you to learn the entire "engine" before asking a question.

You'll go far fella. Best of luck to ya.

16. Dulappy

Dulappy

koronesuki Member
    Greece
    sonic
    Hey, I've another question. How do I restore Sonic 2 Hidden Palace's art, collision and layout in the final? There doesn't seem to be any koskinski art in the improved S2SWB Disassembly by Super Egg and the layout data there doesn't seem compatible... I tried messing around with the code for a bit and I think I got something artwise but I'm just very confused.

17. Devon

Devon

your mom
    MainMemory's LevelConverter tool can be used in SuperEgg's version of the disassembly to convert the data to be compatible with Sonic 2 final.

The Simon Wai prototype (mostly) still uses the same compression algorithms for the level data as in Sonic 1. It also uses the same level layout format as in Sonic 1 (where it stores the level size in the header, and then the game formats that data into RAM, whereas in Sonic 2, it has a fixed level size for the actual data, so that it doesn't need to be reformatted).

The global collision widths, heights, and angles are identical to the ones in the final. However, the Simon Wai prototype leaves the collision block IDs for the chunk blocks uncompressed like in Sonic 1. For Sonic 2 final, they need to be compressed with Kosinski.

18. Nintorch

Nintorch

Just another programmer. Member
    There are a lot actually..
    Random, i think you should port this and subroutines that loads this and do it for hidden palace only, i think it should work. Or do that ralakimus said (level converter really supports s2b? I think i should pay my attention at another try)

19. Devon

Devon

your mom
    Well, Sonic 2 prototype wise, it only really supports the Nick Arcade build, but the formats and compression algorithms used are pretty much the same as in the Simon Wai build, so you can just use that. (Although most chunks are uncompressed in the Nick Arcade build, so you'd still need to define the chunk compression in the INI file if you want to use it for the Simon Wai build)

20. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    LevelConverter is built on SonLVL's API and supports everything SonLVL does, at least for source files; the output formats are a bit more restricted.