don't click here

Team Sonic Racing (Sumo Digital/May 21st 2019)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by 360, May 25, 2018.

1. Vangar

Vangar

I thought that too, but after playing a while there's a few things that factor into this:
    - The rings make you faster, when the game starts you will be slow until you build momentum
    - Chaining boosts and speed pads will keep your overall speed up
    - Harder modes also increase the speed, normal makes the karts very slow
    I'd imagine any review footage is on normal mode with players not boosting properly. I 100%'d transformed and it still took me about 45 minutes to get the hang of the new game mechanically.

There is unique dialog for custom teams, like having Sonic and Shadow on a team yes. But the only way to create such a team is with more than one human player. You both pick a character and then you go to another screen where you pick what teams you are on. Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/SonicTheHedgehog/comments/brhsfj/team_sonic_racing_fun_fact_characters_have/

But as far as i can see this screen doesn't appear / you can't pick your other 2 team mates when you are playing alone. Obviously not a problem in story mode but for local single player this sucks.

Huge oversight imo

2. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

What's the consensus for the PC version of this game? Is it good performance wise and is there any DRM attached to it?

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    From what I heard the PC has some stutters, possibly related to the DRM which it has for some reason (Good ol Denuvo strikes again). Also the online match making is incredibly fucked on the PC for some reason. They're going to have to patch that I'm sure.

Oooohh yes now I know what you mean. I have seen instances of that yea, it's a nice touch but it's weird that you can't pick your own teams.

4. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    so what did the day 1 patch do for the switch version?

5. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I was having this issue with a buddy of mine, then we both realized that you have to manually scroll all the way down and find each other in the leaderboard rankings (there's no Friend's Time, for some inane reason), then load their ghost and beat their time there. If you've been doing it that way already, then I have no idea.

6. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Apparently I've been seeing over at SSMB and on Twitter that the online netcode for TSR across the board is straight up bad. Matchmaking is outright broken more often than not, and if you can get a match, you still have to put up with significant lags and/or glitches during gameplay. Anyone here have similar stories to tell?

What's even more baffling is that Iizuka in a interview said that fixing up the netcode was the reason the game was delayed out of its 2018 holiday release to begin with...so what happened there?

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Honestly I haven't really had any issues on the switch so far, at least nothing significant. I have heard that the PC version is a nightmare though

8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

All I can really say is that there are frequent disconnects, I've never been in a match with more than 4 other people, there's lag and you often get dumped in lobbies by yourself.

And after a successful race, the results screen takes about 1 minute and 40 seconds to finish. Above all else, that's just bad game design. And that if the results screen doesn't crash...

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Now this is true. The end screen takes wayyyyy to long to leave post race.

I mean they cant leave their game like this so I'm hoping this will be patched

10. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    If anyone has any connections with anyone Sumo Digital, slap them. How do you ship a game with team in the title and not allow you to race as a team online with matchmaking.

11. Yuzu

Yuzu

My friend tried doing that on one of the scores and it still wasn't working.

I'll tell him to try again though.

Performance wise: it's fantastic. The minimum specs are really high considering the performance. My brother runs the game perfectly at medium with 60fps at 2560x1080 on an AMD Radeon HD 7850, AMD FX-4300 and 16GB DDR3 RAM. Runs perfectly on my XPS15 with a GTX 1050 in too.

The catch? There's this weird hitching issue that everyone seems to have for a few seconds during gameplay. The framerate drops by a few frames during some tracks but it feels way worse than that.

12. JRokujuushi

JRokujuushi

J64 Member
    The camera's been modded so the environments can be fully explored. Turns out there's a surprising amount of detail in them.

http://youtu.be/8XWzZD0PJNc

13. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    That's awesome! The level of excess in geometry that shouldn't even be visible is something new to me. This is a beautiful game, and that's honestly all I ask of Sonic. Hope he does another video with a greater focus on visibility over just poking around behind the scenes.

14. Yuzu

Yuzu

Looks like UK sales are pretty positive for the game too. It more than doubled the sales of ASRT on launch week:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-05-27-uk-charts-team-sonic-racing-laps-the-competition

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Wow that's a good sign. If this keeps up maybe the game will have enough momentum for patches/dlc.

16. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    From what I've read, ASRT initially opened to very low sales, but good WoM allowed the game to have a really long tail on the charts.

TSR doubling ASRT's opening is a good start, but the real test will be if lightning can strike twice and TSR can pattern ASRT's shelf life.

17. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    Well I guess that kills any chances of non-Sonic characters in future games.

18. http://youtu.be/xQOPmkrm-l8

It turns out Lost Palace isn't a Ohtani song after all. It was composed by Hidekuni Horita.

Is she a new composer? Don't remember her being credited for another song from a previus Sonic game.

19. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    I made some research and I'm pretty sure it's a guy.

Check out his impressive resume :v: :

-Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games - Composition and arrangement (with other artists)
    -Team Sonic Racing - Composition and arrangement (with other artists)

(I'm being mean here but I loved what he did in TSR, hope we'll see more of him in the future)

20. Oh, my bad. It's a guy, alright. Also wow, didn't know he did music for Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games. That's a nice surprise.

Really hoping we could get more of him in future games too.