don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It sounds like a small thing, but blue arms is a classic mistake when you're trying to draw Sonic without looking properly at the character.

And this is indicitive of the whole movie. They haven't opened their eyes and looked at things.

2. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I am actually cautiously optimistic. Looks like I have to go back to a lot of reddit comments I made and apologize.

3. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    It feels like this might be for nothing if they don't just give him his game design. Sonic has never meant to be something from the real world, and absolutely nobody wants him to look like it.

4. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Still has the blue arms which ruins any hopes of in-game design - but they have gloves on the end of them so idc

5. Wafer

Wafer

Find me on Twitter instead Member
    I want to believe that those extra three months will be enough to fix 90% of the design, but then I can't see them fixing the proportions without extensive reshoots, and I can't see familiar features like cartoon mouth and mono-eye working well without changing the proportions.

I hope they at least fix the nose besides the other big complaints, that thing was giving me the heebs.

6. Fadaway

Fadaway

How difficult could a Sonic the Hedgehog movie be? Jeez. Clear your head of this mess, play Sonic the Hedgehog, and write a script about chaos energy and gems and things. People would eat it up. Hollywood is out of step.

7. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Hey can they maybe also throw out the rest of the movie and make it about Sonic

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Perhaps by the end of the film,

he shaves his arms.

And you get to see it. Because something has to replace the presumably(?) scrapped footage.

9. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    The topic title was changed to 2020....as a joke or have I missed something?

10. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
  11. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    It's over. The infamous bond between Sonic and Eggman has already been broken. Jim Carrey doesn't look like an Egg. That's why live action Sonic mustn't look like Sonic. Easy as that. Deep down inside you knew it all along. There must be another way!

12. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    O im laffin'

13. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    Anyone mentioned yet that the Sonic CGI model looks like a guy in a suit because it was obviously cheaper to translate the live-motion capture into a CGI model that had similar body proportions?

Sonic was never about a blue hedgehog going fast. At it's core, Sonic has really always been about trying to get away with as little investment as possible and hoping no one noticed, but people always noticing.

Now the studio has to re-do the model, and delay the film, which increases the investment. Money which could have been spent on making a better AUTHENTIC movie from the start. Are we supposed to appreciate this?

How is it possible that a character which has been around for nearly 3 decades still can't get anyone to have enough confidence in him to adequately fund its endeavors? It seems like the majority of the time, Sonic flops because of this lack of investment, yet here he still is. Sonic is cursed, we are cursed.

14. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Maybe because Sonic has kinda worn out his original purpose and is managed by folks who never understood his broader appeal?

15. Turbohog

Turbohog

Good for them I guess, but it's still going to be a trainwreck no matter what. Even if Sonic had looked good, everything else still looked awful.

16. This. This, this, and this.

Saddens me greatly. Sonic should have way more investment than he does but the people in charge of him, for some strange reason, have not seemed to truly respect what they have. Sure, they KNOW they have a strong brand but they don't really know what it is and thus have no idea what to do with it. It's hard to point fingers without knowing directly who is involved at the top but my goodness, it really seems like the brand is consistently not taken seriously enough.

And my personal feeling is that Sonic Team, warts and all, gets too much flak while SEGA of japan seems to not get the flashlight on them. Seems like they really don't care and that's why sonic has floundered for so long.

17. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    It's a vicious cycle where Sega Japan doesn't provide enough investment (resources and time) to create a quality product, then when the product which is produced is derided for being of low quality, the response is to hold back further investment on the next installment. Likewise, Sonic is managed by people who don't know what the brand is because they are apparently unwilling to hire 1 or 2 people that actually do. It would cost peanuts ($160,000) to just hire a couple brand czars who understand the franchise at its core (and obviously the talent capable of executing the vision). The Zelda's and Mario's of the world understand this; they are distinct fundamental concepts. As an analogy, they are reductionist like elements on a period table (Za, Mo)… Likewise, Sonic is some nebulous molecule (S4O2N8I2C28). Let us not forget how Sonic Mania crystalized this reality. But for 30 years Sonic has lingered on, just warm enough to keep going, just warm enough to get a movie, but not enough confidence for any investment. Again, a product which is entirely detached from any fundamental identity. Again, a product derided for its low quality. And on and on and on indefinitely. Sega Doesn't deserve Sonic. It's the weirdest fucking thing! I honestly believe that the best thing which could ever happen to Sonic, would be for a series of abominations to the extent Sega goes out of business, and/or sells Sonic to Nintendo, “we can rebuild him…”

I think Sega has Sonic locked away in some Eastern European cell deep underground, hardly recognizable, just skin and bones. Being fed nothing but denatured hedgehog parts and antibiotics, hooked up to a diesel-powered milking machine. His unheard screams echoing into the dank abyss for eternity. “I have no mouth and I must scream”. Meanwhile, up in the sunlight, we're all confused, wondering who this uncanny-valley homunculus being paraded around is. “What do ya’ mean, kid? I'm Sonic the friggin’ Hedgehog”

18. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Huh. Well that's... a surprise. Maybe there's some hope for this after all?

19. Obvious question: It's barely been like, a week since the initial announcement of the Sonic redesign. It'd be one thing if they announced the delay right then and there, but now the #GottaFixFast hashtag is wasted.

Is the director, like, seriously making this crap up on the fly?

20. Fadaway

Fadaway

I think it will be an amusing mess if nothing else. Sonic is back to 1-upping Mario. Mario is in a shitty live action movie. Hold my beer. Nearly three decades pass. I do think it'll be at least marginally entertaining, probably better than the old Super Mario film if only for sheer chaotic shits and jiggles.

The trailer DID make me laugh. Just saying.