don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    OK, maybe let's try and drag this back to the topic of the dumpster fire. =P

2. Unlimited Trees

Unlimited Trees

we Do a Little Mischief, Mischief... Member
    When
    UNITRES, Project Time, etc.
    This movie is garbage. Even if they change Sonic's model, it will still end up as a generic video game movie on par with The Smurfs.

But of course everyone is going to see it anyways and it's going to make millions of the box office and then we'll keep getting awful movies such as this one. Horray.

3. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    I think "Millennium Sonic" would probably be the best terminology for the Sonic that's been in place since Adventure and onwards. All-encompassing term for the period he was made for and thrives in, and isn't respective to a certain "era" or "playstyle" of games.

oh right this is the movie sonic thread back to business

It's honestly kinda funny to remember that this project originally started with Sony as the distributor and with that studio and their missteps in mind, it's a bit hard to determine whether this film would had been different / better. On one hand, Marza was supposed to be involved with the initial period of development before the film went into turnaround. But personally I'm going to reach for the "no" answer, as this was always Original Film's baby from the beginning. It's honestly kinda funny to look back on that in retrospect, that Sony --of all studios-- washed their hands of the movie likely dodged a bullet.

I'm sure the good timeline exists somewhere in which the Sonic project bounced over to Sony Pictures Animation, that division developed the film with reasonable collaboration with Sega and Sonic Team (and Marza if they are still involved), and they put out a faithful, decent, fully-animated film adaptation. Or it's instead the bad timeline where SPA farted out Sonic the Smurfs, or Emoji Movie: (Big Red) But(t) With Talking Hedgehogs. Who knows. :ssh:

4. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    You know, this reminds me of the Power Rangers movie they released a few years back. The plot itself and acting was actually pretty decent. But the designs of the suites was such a "fuck you, we have no idea what power rangers is" to the fans. Strayed so far away from the originals it was insane. The Zords were even worse. They somehow "melted" together instead of the sweet combining we loved.

This is exactly what this movie is doing too.

5. RDNexus

RDNexus

I actually liked what they did with with the suits and zords designs. Quite cool-looking.
    Since their powers are from alien source, of course those things had to have such styles.
    What? You wanted them to look like the old designs? Sorry, but it'd seem ridiculous to me.

And the same applies to Sonic. They could give him a more realistic look, but not like that.

6. Pengi

Pengi

The Power Rangers movie designs were just bad designs in their own right. Bland, formless, messy and forgettable.

7. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Ill echo someone elses post. They were bland and forgettable. And they totally could have kept it closer to the original.

[​IMG]
    This design in a movie would have looked so kick ass.

[​IMG]
    Or something really good like this. Recognizable enough, but modern enough.

Totally not the trash they presented us with.

8. Powpuck

Powpuck

You'd think in this post-Marvel Cinematic Universe more studios would be more confident in colorful idiosyncratic designs. Not than the MCU is 100% adherent, but they are generally as close as you could reasonably hope for all things considered. I mean, Jack Kirby's cartoony wings scarcely work within their original context.

Of course Sonic isn't a costume, so he ought not be treated as one, yet here we are.

9. The worst part about the Zords and suits in the Power Rangers movie is that they made pretty boring CG action sequences. The movie was great before the fighting started, but suddenly it was boring as hell to watch. Fighting in Power Rangers / Super Sentai should NOT be boring!

Unlike in Power Rangers though, where it would have been possible to use practical effects for Zords and suits, Sonic is stuck with CG, and redesign or no redesign, he'll look like crap and interact badly with the world around him.

10. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well this is a surprise: https://twitter.com/fowltown/status/1131937685700980736

The Sonic movie has been delayed until 2/14/2020. Considering how they're redesigning Sonic this makes sense. Looks like it might be a somewhat significant overhaul. Also worth noting is the picture the director posted

[​IMG]

This is the first image related to the movie to show Sonic wearing gloves.

11. NoNameAtAll

NoNameAtAll

MY HAT'S ON FIRE. HALP! Moderator
    I don't feel putting lipstick on a pig will make things any better.

This is one case where I feel they should just release it, rip off the bandages and get this over with. No delay can save this travesty unless they start completely anew.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I feel like at least it'll make things less creepy. It might still be bad but that original design was awful. Do we really need that associated with Sonic? He has enough shit going on that makes him look bad. I'd rather this just be forgettable and not another "HEY GUYZ REMEMBER HOW GROSS SONIC LOOKED SONIC SUCKS LOLOLLO!@#!@Ssdaksdh/!@#"

EDIT: Holy shit this movie now comes out on Valentine's Day.

13. RDNexus

RDNexus

So many couples that may end up breaking up on that day... xD

14. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    So, the first thing they do after the backlash is to give him gloves.

They...they really were clueless, uh? I feel almost sorry for them now.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I don't. This whole thing reeks of them thinking they knew better when they didn't.

16. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    Well, I wasn't mad at them before but good on them for thinking about their bottom line. Hopefully whatever their redesign, it looks better than that thing we saw.

17. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    For a film that Sega has no involvement with, it sure does follow the same development beats of today's Sonic games. Look, we're in the “delayed for additional polish / feedback” stage now. Not that a three-month delay is (IMO) going to allow extensive design changes...or fix the story/script they're peddling...

Also that new February release might mean Sonic won't get buried in the holiday 2019 shuffle anymore, but it's still rather busy. WB/DC's Birds of Prey, Sony's Peter Rabbit 2, and an untitled live-action Disney film are Sonic's new immediate competitors, and Pixar's next film comes out a few weeks afterwards. February also alternates between a month where one or two films can set the box office charts alight, or be a traditional dump month for everyone involved.

18. Linkabel

Linkabel

Did they get Tyson to make that pic that's in the tweet? Or am I just imagining things?

19. ^ I would believe he'd respect the original design and not make his arms blue.

(Yeah, I went there and reopened that can of worms. :P)

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Well if he did in fact draw it he would probably have drawn it based off whatever the movie is going with now. Sounds like blue arms are here to stay for some reason.

Also I'm shocked that Peter Rabbit is getting a sequel that movie was trash. Who the hell was it made for anyway?