don't click here

Sonic 1 SMS Android remake

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, May 23, 2019.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8-kt1lsDK8&t=581s
    https://sonic-sms-remake.blogspot.com/

So this one's odd. It's like a Taxman esq remake of Sonic 1 SMS for the Android. Currently the whole game is playable from start to finish as Sonic with some extra features like the spin dash, super Sonic, the Super Peelout, and they plan on adding a lot more too like Tails, Knuckles, Mighty, and Ray (I think Tails and Knuckles are unlockable right now but they're not done). I just downloaded it myself and it plays pretty damn well. And this team plans on remaking Sonic 2 SMS and Sonic Chaos in a similar format.

How did this go under the radar?

2. Travelsonic

Travelsonic

Wow, didn't know about this until now - that looks incredible!

3. RDNexus

RDNexus

I saw the video yesterday. I also got quite surprised by its quality.
    Gotta wait and see how it develops over the following months.

4. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Wow, that's something - looks like it HAS been in dev for a while. Will have to download this later.

5. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Looks decent. Is it actually finished?

6. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    This is pretty cool but the physics feel a little off, was just playing the original on the weekend so it's fresh in my mind. Mostly it's the acceleration, it feels slow. But my phone is chugging a bit playing it for some reason, so maybe it's throwing everything off. I'll have to try the Windows version and see if it's any better.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It looks like the base game is finished. Future versions will include bonus features that have not yet been implemented like a completed Tails and Knuckles, Mighty and Ray, and an 8-bit Marble Zone.

And yea it might not play 100% the same at the original but it's still pretty good. Perhaps a tad sluggish. Regardless this will be my preferred method for playing Sonic 1 SMS for the forseeable future.

8. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Just tried it :o
    It has several bugs, but it's not bad at all.

I'll crosspost this on smspower.

9. Powpuck

Powpuck

I tried rolling down a hill to little avail.

Anyways, this strays too far from the source for my liking, especially as 8bit Sonic 1's simplicity is its strongest aspect. Throwing in things such as the Chaos/TT spring powerup muddies that up.

10. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I have to agree with you. I actually liked it, but it definitely needs improvement. The engine itself is very simple, so I'm not sure how they managed to not get it accurate/improve it. Also wish you could play as other characters right off the bat.

11. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Playing the Windows version of this, and I for one am definitely liking this! I loved SMS Sonic 1 when I was little, and this was the first Sonic game I ever played.

I've just played through the Green Hill Zone, and aside from not being able to pause it whatsoever (to my annoyance), I wondered why I couldn't find the Chaos Emerald in Act 2 - when I realised they've changed the layout. It looks like all of the Chaos Emeralds are now in the Special Zone (where I guess they technically should be).

12. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    I really do hope they improve the engine, this fangame's got a lot of love in it's other aspects but the actual gameplay is just too busted overall for me to find it truly enjoyable right now. And that aside, I tried running it on the new phone I got earlier this week (Pixel 3) and it was still running choppy. Blah.

13. Retroman

Retroman

I have a feeling that it uses the game maker engine

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Shame that it uses the wrong aspect ratio for those graphics. =P

15. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Yeah I thought the same thing as soon as I saw the title screen...

16. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Out of the box one too -- not any of the sonic geared ones.

17. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I guess I forgot to post about this here. I came across this a while back while just searching for "Sonic 1 SMS hack" on Youtube. (Just to see if my old videos pop up. :v: ) I wasn't aware that they are working on remakes of Sonic 2 SMS and Chaos though! I think it's odd yet cool at the same time.

18. LilShootDawg

LilShootDawg

LSD Member
    One thing I noticed right off the bat was that the dev has locked it to 60hz for some bizarre reason. And that Sonic is positioned in the bottom right corner for some bizarre reason again instead of the center or even the left-hand corner so you still can't react to things coming when at full speed.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List