don't click here

Retro-bit announce new/official Sega controllers

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by 360, Jan 13, 2018.

1. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    That's disappointing but not a dealbreaker for me, seeing as how I've only ever had first-gen US Saturn pads anyway. You can't miss what you've never had. :') Maybe they'll fix the next batch if enough people bitch at them about it.

I'm glad they seem to be turning out solid otherwise. But I personally still need to hear opinions on these from real people, not just gamer media shills.disregard, didnt bother clicking iceknight's link initially lmao. im too jaded from all this youtuber shit

2. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    So, I recently bought another Saturn (the internal battery compartment broke in my original a long time ago), and it came with a gray Saturn controller that seemed to be in pristine condition. However, on actually playing games with it, the start button takes a lot of force to activate, and more relevantly, the L/R buttons are soft, as described here.

I may well have a knockoff (though it feels solid otherwise and looks the part), but this wasn't just a regional difference between Japanese Saturn pads and the rest of the world, was it?

3. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I have the wireless genesis controllers. They're amazing.

EDIT: nevermind, they're the 8Bitdo M30 Bluetooth Gamepads

4. Candescence

Candescence

Sydney, Australia
    3D Indie Stuff
    I already made a thread for it, but I should point out that the RetroFighters BrawlerGen Genesis/Saturn 2-in-1 controller is gonna be a thing for folks who are interested in a Genesis/Saturn-style controller with a more modern format, though in this case it's an entirely authentic third-party controller so you'll need a USB adaptor for it.

The 8bitdo M30 pad is apparently fantastic from what I'm hearing, 8bitdo supposedly nailed the d-pad inputs this time.

5. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Oh they nailed it indeed. LOVE this controller.

6. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    Glad to hear they're finally wising up. Retrobit's got my money this round, though.

7. Mentski

Mentski

Pff. Member
    Parts Unknown
    Being a mysterious face.
    Japanese grey/blue Saturn controllers definitely have a click to them, at least initially, and tend to get softer over time due to wear and tear. One of mine is noticeably clickier than the other due to it being the one that was always plugged in to the P1 port.

8. Agreed. The M30 is great and the D-pad feels like an original controller.

9. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    Thirded. Bought one today and it's fantastic.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Is this thread morphing into a Retrofighters thread.

11. Biofrost

Biofrost

Environment artist at Sony Bend Member
    Oregon
    Env artist on Days Gone for ps4
    Fantastic controller but cant get it to work with Sonic Mania on PC. Just doesn't detect it, might have to just use joy2key but no big deal!

12. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Did you get sent review units? I'd be surprised if the USB versions don't have X-Input.

13. Neowl

Neowl

feels good man Member
    London, England
    SAIL HATAN
    Which pad do you have? If it's the 8BitDo M30, are you making sure to press X + Start before syncing to put the pad into Xinput mode? Doing this syncs my one to my Win10 laptop absolutely fine, with no additional steps to get it to play nice with Mania.

Personally speaking, I bought my M30 (not the Retro-bit Mega Drive/Genesis or Saturn pads this thread is meant for - though I do believe only review units of these are out in the wilds currently) at the London Gaming Market on Sunday, was surprised to see the pad in the UK wilds, so it was a must. Not disappointed one bit.

14. Biofrost

Biofrost

Environment artist at Sony Bend Member
    Oregon
    Env artist on Days Gone for ps4
    Thanks! That did it, I don't have the 8bitDo but the Retrobit genesis controller seems to have a similar mode. Worked like a charm afterwards!

15. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    By the way, the Genesis and Saturn controllers, console and USB, are out now. The Genesis Mini is compatible with both USB models, and they're releasing another Genesis variant with just a shoulder Mode button, like the original. It will also be Switch compatible.

I have the blue USB Genesis one, that was surprisingly in stock at my local game shop. It's very accurate in terms of feel, and the shoulder buttons are microswitches, so they have a nice click. They have both D-Input and X-Input support, which is switched by holding the start button for 5 seconds. Excellent controller for the price.

16. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    Can also vouch for the Genesis USB controllers, they're just fantastic. Been playing tons of Genesis games and newer indie-platformer-type titles on them and they're soooooooo comfy. I never minded the d-pad on the Xbone controller but the positioning was starting to give me thumb cramps, so this is my heaven. I've never laid hands on the original 6-button controllers so I can't attest to their 1:1ness but otherwise they're extremely high-quality and yeah, the shoulder buttons click so satisfyingly.

17. Xilla

Xilla

I fail to understand....I begin to see! Member
    Just ordered a Saturn pad. Arriving tomorrow so can't wait to try it out with Sonic 3 A.I.R and Streets of Rage Remake!

EDIT: It's here, and it's perfect!

18. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    Just got my USB Genesis pad, and yes it is perfection! I love it :D

19. My transparent USB Saturn pad arrived the other day, it works wonderfully and looks gorgeous.

20. Turbohog

Turbohog

Still waiting on bluetooth controllers from Retrobit 1.5 years later. :/