don't click here

Sonic Studio

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Lapper, May 19, 2018.

1. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    The level of polish and flexibility of this program never ceases to impress me. I particularly enjoy how you've coded all of the objects with interactivity in mind. I wish some actual game engines out there had an editor like this!

2. AlexanderGogolevRUS

AlexanderGogolevRUS

Russia
    AXSX
    I see a good potential of this project, good job!
    But can I know how you gonna design an editor for a Boss battle sections? What if I want for example add the custom sprites and custom boss battle mechanics?
    Could it be possible at least to choose anyone of all the bosses ever existed in totally all of 2d sonic games? like from sonic 1 to sonic mania including portable consoles?

3. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    I am impressed as always, but my jaw dropped at how the platform tools work. The ease of use all the tools seem to have is going to be your biggest strength with this.

4. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    [​IMG]

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Couldn't have said it better myself :v:

No seriously this looks absolutely incredible.

6. Chaud

Chaud

Holy wow, I'm honestly impressed.
    [​IMG]

Not only with the polishing of the mechanics of the levels editing mode (which is incredible), but also with all the care with the visual part: the sprites, the animation, the background with several levels of parallax, and the way the tileset can mold itself in an extremely natural way to any format used. I really need to point out that you did an incredible job so far!

7. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    This project continues to look absolutely amazing - I particularly love how you've gotten creative with some of the series' standard elements, such as allowing the user to attach other objects to the swinging platforms' chains. XD

Gotta say, this is now definitely one of the currently ongoing fan projects I'm most anticipating, along with Project AXSX and further updates to Sonic 3 A.I.R.. = )

8. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Very happy the new features/menus are well received, it's very satisfying to build creation tools which are so... satisfying. Can't wait till I can show some of the other key features that have been in development for a long long while now.

9. lopinjop

lopinjop

Sonic 25th Anniversary Party Enthusiast Member
    I don't often participate in discussion on this site, but I had to log in to let you know this is not only one of the best Sonic fan games I've seen, but it is flat out the best platforming editor I've ever run across. I don't think a more polished, user friendly, and comprehensive 2-D side-scrolling game editor exists. You have Mario Maker beat in my eyes. With how powerful this editor looks to be, this doesn't have to be a Sonic fan game.

Seriously, if you strip out the copyrighted assets, you've got a sellable piece of software, a la Freedom Planet or Spark the Electric Jester. I could be wrong, but I feel like people would buy an easy to use, fun to play, momentum based platforming toybox even without Sonic's name associated. Combining that with your clearly talented artistic and musical skills and you've got a winning formula.

Whatever route you take, I'll be very excited to play the final game!

10. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrn0vcAczoU

11. Pexs

Pexs

Otherwise known as Spex Member
    Okay, so I usually lurk around here, but I have to speak into this:

Have you tried pitching this to SEGA? Because if this isn't the most slick and impressive stage making ecosystem I've ever seen, I don't even know any more. What the heck, man.

Seriously, SEGA's been on a pretty fan-friendly kick recently. See if you can arrange a pitch meeting. My goodness.

12. lopinjop

lopinjop

Sonic 25th Anniversary Party Enthusiast Member
    Hot damn, that is such a slick transition from editing to playing!! I've said before that this could stand as an editor all on its own without Sonic and still be amazing, and that holds true, but holy hell SEGA needs to pick this up as an official product. Your artistic take on the characters/backgrounds are so detailed and stunning, and your UI design is clean and easy to understand. I could see this being a huge hit on PC/Switch with the Switch's touchscreen. There's got to be some way to pitch this to SEGA.

13. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    This is looking really slick! Definitely can't wait to see more from this and will for sure get my hands dirty with it whenever it ends up available for public use. Good work so far!

14. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This small issue from original sonic games isn't present in Sonic Studio. The engine was built the same way as the originals, and this issue showed up of course, so the fix had to be laid in over the top. It's just a reposition for certain circumstances in the collision code.

15. Chaud

Chaud

I am still stunned by how professional (and polished) everything seems to be. Many times we end up using the idea that "I would pay for it" or "it's better than a game made by Sega" as a hyperbole to compliment some fangames around here. But if this project is finalized with several different levels to choose from (and some gimmicks to boot), I would honestly and literally use the two sentences cited to describe what I think about it. Phenomental work, Lapper.

16. Retroman

Retroman

gib PayPal account pl0x, make donation

17. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    I accept SonicCoin into my SonicBank Account No R0807N1K.

Yeah idk. Anyway I'm glad people keep saying how official it looks, it's nice cause I'm overly critical of my own work and I honestly would not have said that myself, however due to the way I think it is always improving and I always have something I want to add or change for the better.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Seriously. There are even features in this that should be implemented in future games, like the spindashing into/on top of movable objects thing you did.

19. SF94

SF94

Tech Member
    For real. Even if it didn't look official, it looks incredibly well polished. I've been following this for a long time, and all I can think of when I see it is "daaaamn that looks solid; so much attention to detail". You're doing a phenomenal job.

20. It's awesome. Refine what you need to refine, but don't get sucked into the creator's curse! I've been in that hole before...

[​IMG]