don't click here

Team Sonic Racing (Sumo Digital/May 21st 2019)

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by 360, May 25, 2018.

1. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    I can't believe Silver is voiced by Nagito Komaeda.

2. Judging by the style of music, I can say that this was composed by Tomoya Ohtani with Jun Senoue's guitar and drums. It's like a mixture of Sonic Adventure and Lost World vibes. Really love this.

Sky Road sounds something would come from Ohtani as well.

3. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    Same voice actor for Kirito too.
    ...And I probably made people hate the voice even more. :specialed:

4. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Reviews are coming out for the game now and personally speaking, its squaring up as exactly as I expected: not terrible, but not fantastic either.

Metacritic: 73 (PS4, 37 reviews),

Opencritic: 73 "Fair" (28 reviews, 52% of reviewers recommend)

Review score range is mostly 6s and 7s.

Currently can't post/link reviews / review quotes due to time but the general consensus from what I can gleam is what I and others have been saying for a while. Core gameplay and presentation is solid. Content is lacking, and co-op focus while not bad isn't very strong. Many say it's a step down from the ASR games and some do make a point of preferring another ASR instead of the Sonic-only focus.

...at least it's receiving better review than what Sumo's last game got, but that's still not a great foot forward when you have Crash Team Racing coming soon....

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It is a damn shame that it's coming right before CTR. At the very least it has a month on it's own but still, but they were damned if they did and damned if they didn't. They could have not delayed the game and it would have been poor, or they could have delayed the game and unfortunately have to deal with Crash. This game is lacking content though. It should have had at least 2 more teams and 9 more courses. The past 2 racers have had some form of DLC so it's not out of the question here but at the same time I guess it's a budget title so it's not like they're ripping you off here. Also at least it's different. If this game didn't have the team mechanic it'd be screwed.

6. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    http://youtu.be/HwgVae6rHb0
    Digital Foundry has the PS4 version for testing. Overall, performance is significantly improved over E3, with occasional dips in framerate. Neat comparison of Ocean View. I'll definitely be getting the PC version, because Transformed ended up having the longest legs there.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    The story mode explains why Vector is without Espio and Charmy. Knuckles asks where those 2 are and Vector says that he's out "freelancing for extra coin."

... good :v:

8. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
  9. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Yeah, I have to say the buttload of footage they released recently really made me change my mind on this game, I might actually pick it up now.
    Still, I can't see this game doing well with the disastrous marketing campaign it got. I'm seeing a bunch of sponsored video from youtubers pop up all of a sudden so I guess they're trying to rectify that, but I think it's too late, especially with Crash Racing coming out soon.

10. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

From what I can tell, TSR is a really, really good game at its core. Solid driving and drifting mechanics, a surprisingly deep and effective gameplay gimmick, a fantastic soundtrack that's right up there with the best of the Sonic series (and it includes some really random remixes from all three Boom games). But it feels like it was given the shaft by SEGA early on, and didn't get to recover even with the extensive delay that it had.

First up is how the game was marketed and presented. It took a long time for SEGA to start showing off the game in earnest. Besides the initial reveal at E3 and one or two subsequent events, the game got no showcasing until the final couple of months before release. We spent months and months doubting the integrity of the team mechanics because we just didn't get to see them, and gameplay footage consisted of just a couple of tracks. For a long time, it seemed as though Team Sonic Racing was an album and not a game. The game was being presented as a cheap Mario Kart clone, and it's certainly not.

Then there was the issue with content. We should have been alert to this from day one when SEGA were talking about its cast of 15 characters; that's a piddly number and way smaller than the ASR games. With 12 characters in a race at any time, there's no room for variety. Removing the wider SEGA cast and focusing on just Sonic is a subjective issue, but doesn't justify the lack of characters in the roster.

Tracks are the next big issue. 21 courses to Mario Kart's standard 32. 9 remade courses from two previous games to Mario Kart's 16 remade courses from 7 games (and counting). It just doesn't compare. TSR is lacking content. Story mode is so bad that I almost wish they hadn't bothered. I like the idea of it, but having everything played out with static images and text boxes (which are voiced, thankfully) feels so cheap that it kind of detracts from the experience.

Sumo have a great game on their hands here. SEGA didn't give them the money to bring it to its full potential, and it feels cheaply made as a result.

11. lupinsmask

lupinsmask

Now I have to look it up... now I get it.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
  13. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I liked his answer to the question about the team mechanics.

14. JRokujuushi

JRokujuushi

J64 Member
    GameXplain did a comparison between the Switch and PS4 versions of the game. Switch loads a little slower and runs at 30 fps while PS4 runs at 60. To my untrained eye, they look quite similar other than the frame rate. There's some fog in some courses in the PS4 version that's not in the Switch version, but that's the biggest difference I noticed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmfC53C1oiw

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    It's definitely a creative idea and while it sounded dumb at first I think they actually pulled it off. Which is great because it results in this game having it's own identity. Without it it would just be pushed aside to make way for CTR and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. While those 2 may still outshine this one the concept is unique enough that it can at least kind of stand on it's own.

16. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    More details on character types.
    http://youtu.be/l4SoJm8I3ZQ
    There is such a last-minute push for advertising, all within the past 2 months. I get there was a delay, but drip feeding these details would have been better to sustain hype. The music was nice, as was Overdrive, but not as substantive as gameplay mechanics. Hope the game doesn't suffer too much for it.

17. Oh for fuck's sake, if I switch to Japanese dubs I have to listen to Kirito and Yukihira Soma voice Silver? Now I'm never gonna unhear that. //forums.sonicretro.org/public/style_emoticons/default/argh.gif

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yea they did a terrible job hyping this game. Forces too. Forces makes sense it was kind of a stinker, and this game was in an awkward spot because it just wasnt ready to show due to the delay, but still this one came out pretty good. I hope it does ok at least, if only because we'll never see a full budget game again if sales don't compensate for development costs.

$40 is a good price for this game though.

19. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    Hol' up Is this a sudden change? I swear he was still voiced by Daisuke "JOTARO "EL FUERTE" KUJO" Ono in Forces. That's a bummer. Then again, this new voice might suit him more.

Weeb question in that case - Is JP audio an option on the English ver of the game? Always like hearing my weeb options after playing through the game normally.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    From what I've seen it looks like multiple languages are available in the English version of the game.

I'm really hoping Amazon somehow delivers the game early. It's already been leaked like everywhere just give me my copy damn it.