don't click here

Mega Drive / Genesis Mini

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by 360, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Thunderforce 3...but not 4?

All my nostalgia is with 4 though. Poo.

2. Pengi

Pengi

https://sega.jp/mdmini/soft/kandume.html

Is this "box art" new? Did Game no Kanzume Otokuyou ever actually get a cartridge release?

3. Hukos

Hukos

It's not like Thunder Force III is a bad game though, it's definitely one of the best pre-Sonic 1 Genesis games. TF3 is also probably one of the best shooters to show to someone who has never played a game in the genre to try and convince them "no, not every game in the genre is a bullet hell/danmaku". But given how Thunder Force IV was given the Sega Ages treatment, I expect that it'll eventually get in as well.

4. MartiusR

MartiusR

Can't tell that I've faced personally problems (like issues with framerate) mentioned in this IGN review, but so far I've played only in a couple of Sega games.

(what I've discovered though is the fact, that NONE of my Sonic 3 carts (European and Japanese) are not seen by this console! It's like they're making it on purpose, since I didn't had such issues with other carts so far.)

Buuut I must say, what you've mentioned about 3-rd party games in this MD Mini sounds quite intruging. Especially now, after revealing Castlevania and Contra.

5. Pengi

Pengi

The next 10 games for the Japanese version will be announced on May 16th: https://www.siliconera.com/2019/05/10/the-next-10-japanese-sega-genesis-mini-games-will-be-announced-on-may-16-2019/

6. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Here's America's next 10:
    - Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
    - Beyond Oasis
    - Ghouls 'N Ghosts
    - Golden Axe
    - Mega Man: The Wily Wars
    - Phantasy Star IV
    - Sonic Spinball
    - Street Fighter II': Special Champion Edition
    - Vectorman
    - Wonder Boy in Monster World

Not having 6-button pads is going to suck for Street Fighter II. Bet the last batch will have 3D Blast.

7. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    https://twitter.com/SEGA_Europe/status/1129011393934647301

Well I guess now we know.

8. Captain L

Captain L

The guy who likes Shadow the Hedgehog Member
    Waiting for the coming of the Great White Hankerchief
    Two questions concerning Wily Wars: do we think Sega will pull a Playstation Classic and include the PAL version of the game instead of the American version? And I know Wily Wars was on a few AtGames systems, was that the American version? Because if this is the first release of the American version of Wily Wars outside Sega Channel, that's a big deal. If the next 10 games includes Rocket Knight Adventures, I really might be sold on this thing.

9. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Here's Japan's:
    Ghouls 'n Ghosts
    Golden Axe
    Party Quiz Mega Q
    Phantasy Star IV
    Puzzle & Action: Ichidant-R
    Rockman Mega World
    Street Fighter II: SCE
    The Story of Thor
    The Super Shinobi
    Yuu Yuu Hakusho: Makyou Toitsusen

10. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    imo there's no way they would include the PAL version in the US release. They'd probably use the Sega Channel version. M2 isn't Sony.

11. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    And here's Europe's:

- Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
    - Ghouls 'N Ghosts
    - Golden Axe
    - Mega Man: The Wily Wars
    - Phantasy Star IV
    - Sonic Spinball
    - The Story of Thor
    - Street Fighter II’: Special Champion Edition
    - Vectorman
    - Wonder Boy in Monster World

(It's the same as the US list)

12. Hukos

Hukos

Street Fighter II with the 3 button pad is ew. I get why Ghouls n' Ghosts is on there, for Capcom representation, but I feel like Strider would have been better. I'm really surprised at Wily Wars making it in. Wily Wars is a really mixed bag - the ports of 1 and 2 are pretty terrible, but the port of Megaman 3 is fantastic, and the Wily Tower is top notch.

Phantasy Star IV/Beyond Oasis are great picks! Vectorman is a good pick, Wonder Boy in Monster World is a nice deep cut that I'm glad they chose. It's not as good as Monster World IV, but it's a very good game regardless.

Spinball over 3&K? Not sure what they were thinking with that one unless they just can't get 3&K on there.

I like Golden Axe, but I feel like Golden Axe 2 is by far the best of the trilogy, which disappoints me. Alex Kidd is a bad game and I'll be happy when people stop pretending it was good.

I'm still holding out for Phantasy Star II, Thunder Force IV, Monster World IV, Rocket Knight Adventures, and Shining Force II in the final 10.

13. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Guys, M2 has always let you pick every region for the collection's they've made, don't see why this would be any different.

14. Pengi

Pengi

Yeah, it's not been publicized much, but a Kotaku editor confirmed that all regional variants would be available: https://twitter.com/kobunheat/status/1111832526765457408

I'd really like to play the Japanese versions of Bare Knuckle III and Ristar.

(I wonder if they'd go as far to include Puyo Puyo 1 as a regional variant of Mean Bean Machine.)

15. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I sincerely hope this suggests to SEGA that SEGA Hardware would be viable again, if handled correctly.

I've got most of these games, not Wily Wars but most of them. But damn am I still getting one of these babies.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I really don't think it's worth Sega to start developing consoles again. I think they've found their niche doing 3rd party stuff and honestly I don't see any of their franchises these days being system sellers. Definitely not Sonic anyways (although I'd buy it for Sonic games but I wouldn't be happy if I had to buy a system just for Sonic again).

17. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Eh, SEGA have always been fantastic on the games side of things. I still play Skies of Arcadia and Phantasy Star (the Master System and Mega Drive games) to this day, for instance. Streets of Rage 4 is getting a new game, perhaps we could see a modern version of Golden Axe. Or knowing SEGA, they could just make a bunch of new IPs that would be regarded as fantastic, only dragged down by poor business decisions in the past.

But that's just my thoughts, and I'd rather not cause an argument on the subject, so let's keep to the Mega Drive Mini.

Do you think we'll see other rare games?

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I would hope so. That would make the mini console certainly more worth it.

It'd be nice if they were saving S3K for this thing :v:

19. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    I at least hope it does well enough to make other mini-consoles viable. I could see Dreamcast and Sega CD sooner than later.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    A Dreamcast mini would be fantastic and I'd buy one for sure. I'd also buy a Saturn mini.

I don't see the value of a Sega CD mini though. Although I wonder if a Dreamcast/Saturn mini hybrid might be a good idea given the Saturn's limited library.