don't click here

Sonic 3 A.I.R. Release Thread

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by 360, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Frostav

Frostav

How is the Drop Dash implemented in this game? Mania requires that you let go of the jump button and press it again to initiate it whereas e.g LakeFeperd's implementation in After The Sequel will start a drop dash if you just hold the button while jumping and don't let go, which I'm not as much of a fan of.

2. Eukaryot

Eukaryot

Tech Member
    Sonic 3 A.I.R.
    It's pretty much Mania-like.

3. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Oh, awesome - that's a feature I've wanted to see in SSZ ever since Sonic Advance did the same for the returning bosses in X Zone - I wish they'd done it in the original, though can understand why not as they'd presumably have had to pay Masato Nakamura royalties for the use of the tracks.

Not able to check this out at the mo, but are they simply the untouched tracks from Sonic 1 and Sonic 2, or have the drums been updated to use the Sonic 3 & Knuckles percussion samples to help them blend in better with the rest of the soundtrack?

4. G Spindash

G Spindash

Rock/Metal DJ, Audio Wrangler Member
    Scotland
    Sonic 3 & Knuckles Remastered Soundtrack
    Like the S2 Super theme, the emulated versions have the original drums and the remastered versions have the S3K drums.

On another note, here's another work-in-progress remastered track, this time muting some of the channels for the loop. Any feedback or suggestions appreciated. :)

http://youtu.be/1TxY_aYoUMs

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I like the idea of making the second loop a bit different, though it may need more than just muting a channel or two.

Back when Sonic 2 HD was a community thing, there was a promising version of Metropolis Zone that came up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGjvi4D1krA

ignoring all the fancy pants instruments and guitar-heavy stuff, it's the subtle changes here and there on the second run that make this interesting. It's the same tune, but it isn't.

6. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I've downloaded that version but couldn't find the options to change the music to Sonic 1 or 2; all I see are just the Sonic 3/S&K option choices like before.

7. Eukaryot

Eukaryot

Tech Member
    Sonic 3 A.I.R.
    It's the last option in Audio, "Sky Sanctuary Bosses".

By the way, as the preview seemed to be okay and with no new problems, I made it the new proper update (with today's date). Download and changelog on sonic3air.org.
    Thanks for everyone testing the preview versions, I don't want to imagine how to make an actually stable version of the game without your play testing! :)

8. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    The "Randon Sheilds" option doesn't seem to be working properly in the game. I started with Angel Island, and so far I've encounter all Water Shield monitors than random ones. Like so far, I encounter 6 Water Sheilds, and 1 Electric Sheild in both Angel Island acts alone.

Okay, nevermind, it may have been just been the case the randomness did indeed deal out a high quantity of water shields.

So in that case, thank you for your work Eukaryot! The hardware render issue seems to have been fixed as well.

EDIT: Ah ha! New bugs.

BUG #19
    CLICK HERE FOR BIN FILE. This takes place in Ice Cap Zone Act 2. This relates to an area at the last loop about 90% at the end of Ice Cap Zone act 2. Hyper Sonic dies on the loop when rolling down it. The first bug I mentioned about this is that Hyper Sonic gets stuck on the loop. Now he dies.

BUG #20
    CLICK HERE FOR BIN FILE. This takes place in Ice Cap Zone Act 2. Somehow, I can't go through the loop at around 85% at the end of the zone. I must have done something that locked me out from entering the loop.

MUSIC IDEA #1
    Maybe an idea for the music can be to have it:

1. Play normally for two loops
    2. Then have some channel(s) muted for 1 loop
    3. Then back to the main version for 1 loop
    4. Then some other channel(s) muted for 1 loop

And that's it, back to step 1.

I made extended music for myself years ago to play in my car or cell phone. You can download it here to get an idea, if you wish to implement it to this game mod: https://www32.zippyshare.com/v/eVN5Eyje/file.html

MUSIC IDEA #2
    I liked that way the Hydrocity Act 2's music ended in your video, DJ Spindash. That sounded like what would happen after Sonic reaches the end of the level just before Robotnik's music starts.

What I'm thinking of is creating some sort of 3-second "end tags" (to each level) to end the main level music before an event occurs (e.g. before the mid-boss, before Robotnik's theme, before the Act Clear cue).

MUSIC IDEA #3
    Give the player the option to randomize the modded music when a level starts? Like say I have 3 difference remixes of Angel Island Zone act 1 that I love, but have to choose one because this game mod only allows for one modded piece of music. Maybe come up with the ability for the game to randomly pick a piece of music for Angel Island act 1?

9. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Got it now, thanks (it appeared in the latest build)

BTW, it's not exactly cheating, but I managed to get the "Double Dose of Stars" achievement by using the 'randomised monitors' setting (there were 2 invincibility monitors together); I'm pretty sure that shouldn't be one of the ways to get the achievement.

A music idea I had (after reading T.Q's) is maybe have the old 'sound/music slightly muffled when you're underwater' option - if that's possible (unless that'd just be annoying)? - ala. Generations.

10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Thought of the day:

The Mushroom Hill Zone act 2 boss, when Robotnik is flying backwards on fire - he should probably use his shocked expression.

11. Eukaryot

Eukaryot

Tech Member
    Sonic 3 A.I.R.
    Hey everyone!
    There's a new preview build of Sonic 3 A.I.R., if someone wants to try out :)

Version highlights include:
    • Fast music tracks for speed shoes etc. (finally!)
    • 5 new achievements and a new secret to unlock
    • Modding improvements, especially addition of sprite modding support

I also took care of several bugs and added some of the improvements proposed by you. Like Black Squirrel's idea:
    Aside from that, there have been lots of behind-the-scenes / technical reworks and improvements.
    One in particular is the switch to static linking against the Visual C++ Runtime. That means, it should not be necessary any more to execute the "vcredist.x86.exe" once. Consequently, this installer not included any more. If you run into problems with missing DLLs or similar, please let me know!

Edit (July 19th): Updated the download link with today's build.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  12. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    I still haven't gotten around to checking the SDL init code that you posted on SFGHQ yet. Hopefully I'll have time to check it this weekend...

I'd normally recommend against statically linking the MSVC runtime, since that wastes space, but I guess if too many people have issues with it, then meh.

13. Eukaryot

Eukaryot

Tech Member
    Sonic 3 A.I.R.
    I know, it's not the best thing to do. But as long as there's no actual S3AIR installer that can handle the redist installation, this eliminates a potential source of errors...

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Oh nice, sprite mod support!

... turns out I kinda suck with sprite modifications so I think I'm going to wait around for someone else to make the Mania sprite replacement mods...

15. Eukaryot

Eukaryot

Tech Member
    Sonic 3 A.I.R.
    ...and here is the usual hotfix to get rid of some problems:
    • Fixed loading of 8-bit BMP files exported by GIMP
    • Added Sonic drop dash & peel-out graphics into the modding template
    • Fixed missing Time Attack goal pole for Knuckles in CNZ 1
    Update (July 19th):
    Another bug fix release, primarily for the BMP reader. The link is updated now.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  16. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    YES

17. lordoftime

lordoftime

Timelord Member
    Hi there, so far this is great - but I have found a couple of issues that could be addressed to make this even better... firstly the random shield mode isnt great because it has a tendency to give fire shields and electro shields whilst in water hence they become useless... perhaps a check could see if the item box is below the water line and if so only spawn as a bubble shield? secondly the Sonic CD super peel out would work really well with this perhaps have it switchable in the options menu?

18. Eukaryot

Eukaryot

Tech Member
    Sonic 3 A.I.R.
    Yes, I fully agree on this.

You will be pleasantly surprised by this version's new unlockable secret. ;)

19. RikohZX

RikohZX

Palette limitations are definitely difficult to work with, no one can just import Mania sprites or anything willy nilly obviously, but i've been giving it the old college try nonetheless. My resources can't fit all the animations, though, and I don't know how to replace the Peel-Out given it needs a separate .json file.
    [​IMG]

20. lordoftime

lordoftime

Timelord Member
    You will be pleasantly surprised by this version's new unlockable secret. ;)[/QUOTE]

I dont suppose there is a way to activate it without achievements? and if so can you tell me how?