don't click here

Sonic 3 A.I.R. Release Thread

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by 360, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Eukaryot

Eukaryot

Tech Member
    Sonic 3 A.I.R.
    Thinking of it, yes. But like many other features, it's only low prio.

That looks like an interesting thing to investigate. Especially the frame eating part :D

Try out the EXE and DLL replacement uploaded here. Hope they can resolve the issue!

Thank you once again, just keep the bug reports coming! :)

2. RikohZX

RikohZX

Worked like a charm, thank you. It helped a lot for trying to test a music mod I've been messing with. Finding exact points for looping or cutting sounds off in Audacity is a nightmare, though, but I can't complain when you accommodated for this kind of modding so much as is!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MDXhYJhJbU

3. IrnBru

IrnBru

@@Eukaryot How do I get those .BIN files for bug reporting? I play this way more than I'd care to admit lol.

4. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    You have to press F2 on your keyboard. The BIN file records about 30 seconds of previous gameplay.

The caveat is that it saves as the file "gamerecording.bin", AND overwrites itself when you press F2 again. So if you encounter another bug and press F2 without renaming the previous bug file, it will be overwritten.

Eukaryot. As a recommendation to prevent overwriting the file, perhaps the program can add a timestamp to the end of the filename (composed of year, month, day, hour, minute, second [e.g. "-YYYMMDDhhmmss"]) so that a person can press F2 again without worrying about overwriting the file if the player encounters other bugs over the course of gameplay.

[hr]
    Edit: Hum...Robotnik must have been bribing the Sonic Team developers to make glitches in the game at the time to quash Sonic, lol.

BUG #13
    CLICK HERE FOR BIN FILE. This takes place in Flying Battery Zone Act 1. The bug occurred when jumping off a ledge near the beginning of the act, where you'd find a Lighting Shield Monitor and Invincibility Monitor. Apparently Sonic was able to fall through the metal platform with fan below it, and die instantly.

BUG #14
    CLICK HERE FOR BIN FILE. This takes place in Lava Reef Zone Act 1. The bug occurred when passing a certain point at the bottom part of the zone. The sound for a door opening plays even though Sonic doesn't activate a button to open a door. You can also backtrack a bit and pass that certain point again to hear the door opening SFX.

BUG #15
    CLICK HERE FOR BIN FILE. This takes place in Carnival Night Zone Act 1. The bug occurred after defeating the mid-boss. Sonic happened to have spindashed to the right side of the screen, under the passage entrance to the 2nd Act. While the tile floor was still moving down, Sonic got sunk with his head showing and body below the floor. Not that big a deal, except on one occasion, Sonic went to the entrance of the passageway, and died for some reason. In this recording, Sonic didn't die. So I would recommend placing an invisible barrier to prevent a player from entering that passageway until Act 2 begins.

BUG #16
    CLICK HERE FOR BIN FILE. This takes place in Launch Base Zone Act 1. The bug occurs about 80% near the end of the zone, where the player goes through one of the elevator tubes. Hyper Sonic jumped into the elevator and was transported to the location. When Hyper Sonic reached the location, he was leaning out of the elevator with the door shut, rather than waiting for the door to open, and for the player to proceed out of it. I think this was already addressed, but now you have a recording of this to look at.

BUG #17
    CLICK HERE FOR BIN FILE. This takes place in Launch Base Zone Act 1. The bug occurs about 95% near the end of the zone. The player encounters Knuckles, where he throws a bomb into the building to demolish it. While the player waits in the revolving cup platform, Tails flies down, and joins the player. However, Tails is doing a walking routine, and then after Knuckles leaves the screen, Tails falls through the cup, instead of waiting inside it and then responding to the player's movement.

BUG #18
    CLICK HERE FOR BIN FILE. This takes place in Launch Base Zone Act 2. The bug occurs about at the first boss area with the cannonballs. Hyper Sonic jumped so high, that he landed "somewhere" above the area, after the screen looked to the area where Sonic and Tails were supposed to fight Robotnik. Robotnik jumped in and began his routine of shooting cannonballs, but neither Sonic nor Tails were in the area. They were stuck above.

5. IrnBru

IrnBru

I don't seem to get a .bin file when pressing f2 but at this point I cannot pass the MGZ Act 2 Boss without it killing me before transitioning to the tails flight phase of the fight, if any one else is having problems with this could you dump a .bin file to help get this fixed, I don't think this bug was present before the patch though can't be sure, I had completed every save file available before the update and never noticed any bugs outside of some you get on vanilla S3K.

6. T.Q.

T.Q.

So @IrnBru,

When you're playing the game, and you want to capture the last 30 seconds of gameplay, you press F2, do you get a message on the screen like this?:

[​IMG]

And you don't find the .bin file in the folder you have the mod in?

7. IrnBru

IrnBru

Not at all, I need to run this game in failsafe mode if that makes any difference. I can record gameplay but it probably doesn't help much with bug fixing.

8. T.Q.

T.Q.

Ok, that may make a difference. Why are you playing in failsafe mode? That may explain why you're not able to save .bin files, because according to the Manual, "(t)his will disable some graphics features and automatically switch to the software renderer". The manual doesn't specify what features in particular, and so maybe this is one of them?

9. IrnBru

IrnBru

Anything that isn't failsafe mode doesn't launch past the disclaimer, I just get a black screen with sound.

10. Eukaryot

Eukaryot

Tech Member
    Sonic 3 A.I.R.
    It's true that fail-safe mode also disables the game recording.
    I just added an option in the config.json that allows for overriding this behavior. (And I'd love to get my hands on a gamerecording for the MGZ 2 bug, as I couldn't reproduce it myself.)

So here's a new build where you can edit the config.json file. Just set the "GameRecording" property to "1" there (the new default "-1" lets the game decide depending on whether the fail-safe mode is active).

By the way, this new build reflects the current development / bug fixing state. Which could turn out to be a bad thing, especially as I'm currently right in the middle of some major audio system changes. It's not unlikely there are some new bugs because of this.

11. IrnBru

IrnBru

I really appreciate that, thank you, I'll get on to it tonight and upload the .Bin file, really appreciate it :)

12. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    *edit* my bad, I'd forgotten about the boss battle

I'm absolutely loving what you've done here! I hope you'll be doing the same for Sonic 1 & 2 as well :)

13. Nova

Nova

Just wanted to say, absolutely stellar work and thank you for making this. Definitely going to be my preferred way of playing this for my yearly series marathon from now on. :)

14. T.Q.

T.Q.

So I tried the latest version (May 2, 2019). I'm not getting any picture from the game, only from the menus. Here are examples of what I see, not sure what's happening. So I reverted back to the April 24, 2019 build. Don't pay attention to the blurriness of the images, I intentionally set the quality to the lowest quality because they're just scrap.

Question to staff members of the website. Is there a reason why this thread isn't allowing image attachments to be uploaded by members of the forum?:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    I've just played through it and, apart from a few glitches that present in the original game (getting soft-locked with the cannon launcher at the end of Carnival Night Zone 2 because of Tails and the Sky Sanctuary GHZ mini boss re-spawning after I defeated it and fell down), I had a very enjoyable experience. Some of the options are quite nice (alternate bombing in AIZ2, for example), while others seem a bit too much (such as customisation of tunes for bosses, invincibility, etc.) and I would never use them, but I'm sure others will.

Also, on a side tangent, the level layout changes are all quite well done (especially DEZ1), but with the exception of LBZ2. The changes made to allow that Tails achievement are fine, but the chunk usage, the object placement, and the way it's done look so hack-ish, and it stood out so badly against the other, acceptable changes. I know there are better chunk choices available for what you were trying to achieve, and it still sticks in my mind as the one thing that's a little off.

16. RikohZX

RikohZX

I feel like Tails desyncs from your position more readily than before. He's gotten me killed a few times because of it, way more than he used to at least.

17. T.Q.

T.Q.

Ok, so it seems if I set "UseSoftwareRenderer" to true in the settings.json file, the game play screens show up again (and not just the menu texts).

There seems to be a problem with monitor items having their objects mixed/switched around. For example, while playing Death Egg Zone 1, there are sets of 3 monitors that should be rings, but are a mix of different items. Is it an intentional feature, or a bug? I also noticed that when restarting Death Egg Zone 1 again, the monitors that were incorrect changed to some other incorrect item.

18. Eukaryot

Eukaryot

Tech Member
    Sonic 3 A.I.R.
    For the next update, Tails uses the same reaction delay again as in the original, to counter problems like this. (It was reduced a bit for S3AIR.)

Okay, that helps narrowing down the problem - must be something in the hardware renderer then.

That's an experimental option I'm working on, and it's part of the test build (if anyone else is interested, it's this one here). Wasn't meant to be enabled by default, however.

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    By the way, partially inspired by this topic, and the fact that easy jobs are easy, I've been better cataloging Sonic 3 bugs and Sonic 3 & Knuckles bugs on the wiki.

Most of these aren't new - between that old YouTube video series and Neo's blog there's probably better coverage, but it might still be of interest.

This time last year, these pages were little more than a list of bullet points spread across the wiki.

20. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Why doesn't anyone ever open their source code? It would allow for so much more customization. People could contribute bugfixes, port it to other platforms, add features, etc. Maybe even take it upon themselves to port 1, 2, CD, etc.