don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Yea I wouldn't expect too much. The fact they're doing anything at all is hilarious but also kinda cool?

2. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    It makes me kinda curious because it sounds like they genuinely didn't expect the backlash.

3. Honestly I will probably just wait for this to come to Netflix or something and watch it our of morbid curiosity. Even if they gave him the perfect design, the overall thing doesn't appeal to me at all. The CGI/Live Action mix was always a bad idea, made even worse when we have Mania Adventures and TSR Overdrive absolutely nailing it.

Kind of similar to Retroman's comment about it being a PR stunt/suicide, but whats the chances that this terrible Sonic design was all a way to stir up attention?

I have no idea how the movie industry works so I imagine this is highly unlikely, but what if they've had the full film done with a normal (or at least normal-er) Sonic, but created this abomination Sonic just for the trailers/posters. Internet loses its shit, everyone is talking about Sonic, they then "change" it to something better. When it comes to release date everyone remembers the movie because of how bad Toothy Sonic was before, but since they made him better they are more likely to go see it.

4. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I mean Sonic's prevailing quality has always been that he's equal parts cute and cool. Trying to tip him too much in either direction has never worked well.

That being said...the more I watch the trailer, the more his face (teeth not withstanding) grows on me. But the way-too-anthropomorphic body ruins it all.

5. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    For the sake of the staff involved who were probably against the movie Sonic look from the start, I really hope this is just a PR Stunt now. However we've seen the posters and cut-outs in cinemas already, so I legit think this is a last minute 180.

EITHER WAY THIS RIDE JUST GOT A FEW MORE LOOPS.

6. Super

Super

The ever vigilant GSWAS. Member
    Michigan
    Youtube
    Honestly with how often a Sonic game gets pushed back for quality...

I don't have high hopes for this 'we'll fix it' line they are feeding the public. Probably just going to make his eyes bigger and, like, do something about his teeth?

7. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Yeah, pretty much this.

It reminds me of people pining for a version of Sonic 06 that doesn't have the bugs. Like, cool, but it's still fucking Sonic 06. That doesn't make it any better of a game. Sonic having a better design would do about as much for this movie as Classic Sonic being in Sonic 4 would have done: pretty much nothing.

Although with a more game-like character design we'll probably have more people with no sense for scripting willing to hail it as a cult classic.

8. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    I wonder. How often do directors, producers, etc. express any sort of concern for their upcoming movies, regardless of quality?

I did see something interesting, thanks to a certain Sonic site. Apparently, Paramount delayed the movie Monster Trucks because during test screening, kids were crying and screaming because how horrific the monster's design was. The movie did flop, but still. Obviously this doesn't mean that they'll delay the Sonic movie to make changes, but the possibility is there. In my opinon, it would be odd and pretty messed up if they're willing to delay that movie, but not Sonic, especially considering how popular the franchise is.

Would be nice to hear from some 3D animators about this whole fixing Sonic thing and how difficult it is, especially with only half a year to go.

9. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    Well to be honest, Sonic most likely isn't in the movie fully rendered all that much, so they probably only have to adjust about 20 minutes of footage.

10. JRokujuushi

JRokujuushi

J64 Member
    Just gonna drop this here...

https://the-regressor.tumblr.com/post/184606729237/this-design-should-be-sent-back-to-the-90s-where

11. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    I say Sonic's shoes will be introduced at the end of the movie. The shot of the shoe pile in the trailer makes it seem like that will be a subplot.

This movie did not spend 6 years in production, I assure you. It spent most of that time on a shelf with nobody touching it.

12. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

Actually, you know what. All they need to do is downgrade the teeth into something less uncanny valley and I might be pretty fine with the rest of it. I feel like 90% of the creepy vibes I get from the dude comes from those molars.

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Spoilers next to nothing will change, it's too late for changes that would actually FIX this trashfire.

14. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

I know how to fix it.
    Just edit out every scene that doesn't feature Jim Carrey's Eggman.

CG out any other actors as well, so every scene is just Jim Carrey acting and talking to himself.

It'll be a film about one man slowly going insane and talking about hedgehogs for no apparent reason and suddenly starts cosplaying as Eggman.

10/10 movie.

15. Qjimbo

Qjimbo

Your friendly neighbourhood lemming. Oldbie
    Eternal Eggman of the Spotless Mind

16. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    They may be able to get away with not reanimating anything when they can just retarget a new model onto the existing rig, but it takes something like 100,000 CPU hours to render a feature length film on today's hardware. The positive side to the live action hybrid approach is that they only need to render the character and not the entire scene, so it'll take considerably less time, but then you have to manually composite every frame. I'd imagine a lot of that work isn't recyclable. Paramount can get it done in 7 months, but this is certainly a multi-million dollar fuckup that could've been averted if they'd just asked literally anyone outside the office if they thought Sonic looked cool.

17. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
    I'd kill to watch this.

18. Tanks

Tanks

Oh I'm sure it's not insurmountable, but the big problem is the time it takes to render, which takes forever even with the best of computers.

I did a little thinking and I'm willing to wear the tinfoil hat and say this was all a marketing ploy. They had to have known. I'm sure the design team pushed realistic Sonic as a reaction to the style being used in Detective Pikachu. We've known for several months about the final design, the poster leaks, the toy line leak, etc. I'm willing to bet Sega had their ear to the ground and pulled the plug once we, he fanbase, caught wind. I'm willing to bet they've been working on this fix for months now.

Of course not wanting to waste a good opportunity, they release the trailer, drum up controversy, and are quick to release a statement the day after making them look like heroes for bowing to fan pressure. To be honest, it moved a little too smoothly for this not to have been a marketing strategy.

Then again I could be talking out of my ass and Jeff was actually just talking about rerendering the teeth so who the hell knows.

19. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    No joke, I would watch this.

20. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    After Garfield minus Garfield, introducing Sonic minus Sonic.
    I'd watch that tbh