don't click here

Sonic 3 A.I.R. Release Thread

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by 360, Apr 7, 2019.

1. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    I tried the preview and it appears to have completely removed controller support. I tried using a PS4 & Xbox1 controller and I couldn't get either to work at all. I then went back to the previous version of AIR and the controller support works absolutely fine.

Edit: In the preview version I've just found that my Switch (wired) Pro controller works fine. My PS4 controller now works, but only the analog sticks (the d-pad doesn't work). My Xbox1 controller still doesn't work at all.

2. Eukaryot

Eukaryot

Tech Member
    Sonic 3 A.I.R.
    Can you try this version here? (It's only the Sonic3AIR.exe, to be copied into the preview installation.)
    This one handles connect / disconnect of game controllers differently. At least I hope that's the cause of the problems, as there was no other change since the release version regarding game controllers.
    Also just to be sure, a general note: If you have multiple controllers connected at the same time, they will get assigned to the two players in a not-really-obvious way, and only the first, third, etc. will actually control the main character and menus.

3. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

I've tried the new version for connect/disconnect and it does indeed now detect a controller when plugging one in after having already started 3 AIR, and when removing and connecting a different controller. I tried several PS4 controllers, a Switch Pro wired & Pro wireless controller and AIR detected them all and they all work.

It doesn't solve my issue (disregard my Xbox1 controller as I think it's damaged). It's just weird that I can only use my PS4 controller & Wireless Switch Pro-controller analog controls (and not the d-pad) on the new version of AIR and yet the previous versions allowed me to use the d-pad no problem.

I've also done a full (Tails) playthrough of the latest version and didn't encounter any glitches.

4. G Spindash

G Spindash

Rock/Metal DJ, Audio Wrangler Member
    Scotland
    Sonic 3 & Knuckles Remastered Soundtrack
    Hey folks

Thought it was about time I joined the conversation. I'm working on the remastered soundtrack for S3 A.I.R.

Thanks in no small part to ValleyBell, who's software and plugins have been extremely helpful in this process.

That's the plan. When it's finished, it should be up to the standard of the S1&2 mobile versions. I'm currently in the process of locating and putting the full set of high quality drums and voice samples together. I've acquired a complete rip from what seems to be the correct Korg drum machine (Kick, snare and a few others are present and correct, some are pitch shifted in the game). Some of the sounds are tricky to identify though, so I'll probably be reaching out to the community for help with that soon. :)

As for the 'GO!' in Launch Base. I do have the original sample, but when putting the initial mixes together, I didn't have the clean snare underneath it (the original game has 2 samples, 1 with the snare, 1 without). I thought the difference in quality would stick out too much if I used both. It shouldn't be a problem going forward.

In response to T.Q.'s extended music suggestion, I did consider going down this route. Extending the tracks after a couple of loops by muting some of the channels or using sounds from the other act where applicable. Maybe even adapting the extended versions by Akinori Minami. It's not a huge priority at the moment, but I'll definitely consider it again when everything else is complete.

For the PC tracks from S3 Complete. I'd be very happy to give them the same treatment, if we can get Tiddles' blessing to include them. Again, not a priority until the original is finished.

I'll be uploading some work-in-progress tracks to Youtube over the coming weeks. Please feel free to give feedback and suggestions or ask questions here.

Cheers!

5. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Love what I've played so far. Great work! I was going to point out a few graphical oddities from the original that should be fixed, but I'm tempted to wait until the new version is out, since you may have found them already.

I do want to say one thing about the music, though: I'm loving the new mix in the credits, and especially how the credits are lengthened to match the longer tune, which S3C didn't do. BUT, I've always preferred Sonic 3's music to S&K's, so I was disappointed that, even with every customizable option set to Sonic 3, the credits end with the S&K jingle. I wish there was another version with the S3 jingle that was found in some of the Sonic 3C prototypes.

6. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    I prefer Sonic 3's credits music as well. Here's the extended mix I have for that credits. It conveniently finishes when Sonic does a thumbs up in front of the Sonic 3 & Knuckles logo (before going back to the Sega logo):

Sonic 3 Credits, T.Q.'s Extended Mix.

7. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here, but nothing I do allows me to go Super with Sonic despite having all chaos emeralds pre-MHZ.

You'd think it'd be as easy as it has always been. The hell is going on?

8. Tribeam

Tribeam

I code Lua and Lua accessories Member
    S3AIR Changed it to a special button, Jump and press whatever button you have assigned to Y

With that said, I have spotted 2 oversights:

1. In Mushroom Hill Act 2, at the very top route(with a special stage ring, when the pallete goes from orange to gray) you can see the palette swap on the edges of the screen due to widescreen.
    2. The first super emerald(active) in hidden palace seems to be different colors when playing the level normally or going to it via special ring.
    Edit:
    MHZ2 recording: https://www.dropbox....teswap.bin?dl=1
    As for the hidden palace thing it seems my initial assessment was wrong, im not sure how it happens, but i couldnt seem to reproduce it, maybe it was fixed in the preview build?

9. G Spindash

G Spindash

Scotland
    Thank you! Glad you enjoyed the new medley.

Put the 'audio' folder from this download into the 'data' folder of your S3 AIR installation. :)

10. IrnBru

IrnBru

I'd love to see downloadable ghosts added, I'd like to run against some Sonic 3 wizards.

11. Knucklez

Knucklez

I love 2B 'n' ass. Member
    I think the perfect feature to include in this would be the complete original Blue Sphere like Sonic 3 Complete has it on the main menu, but as an unlockable 'secret' after completing all 12 open achievements. Just an idea.

12. G Spindash

G Spindash

Scotland
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ClV2mB5qp8

13. Eukaryot

Eukaryot

Tech Member
    Sonic 3 A.I.R.
    How about a second try for the update? Here we go.

This version fixes the new bugs (in comparison to the full release) that people reported, at least as far as I could reproduce those issues. This includes problems with game controllers - I got my hands on a PS4 controller again to make that work. Also added a general mechanism to provide default mappings for controllers by making use of what the fine folks of SDL2 already defined.

If you find new bugs with this version, let me know. :)

14. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Just tried the new version and I'm now able to use the d-pad for my PS4 controllers & Switch Pro-controller. Thanks for fixing that issue, Eukaryot.

Well, I've already done Knuckles and Tails playthroughs of AIR, so perhaps I'll do a Sonic playthrough of the latest version.

Are you thinking of adding the Super-Peel Out from Sonic CD?

15. Tets

Tets

one rude dude Oldbie
    Happy to confirm my DS4 works almost perfectly with S3 AIR now, using the Sony wireless dongle. The default configuration has the PS button mapped to pause though. Minor annoyance, easily worked around for the moment.

16. I recently acquired a Genesis controller adapter for PC, and playing this with it is an absolute dream come true. With this, an Android emulator for Sonic 1/2, and the Steam versions of CD/Mania, I'm never going back to another system for the 2D games again :v:

17. IrnBru

IrnBru

I'm having major issues with the main boss on Marble Garden Zone, I've recorded a couple of instances of this happening, it only happens with Hyper Sonic and sometimes the glitch doesn't kill you and tails will continue to let you fly with him and fight the boss like normal. Any ideas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbIkwueTl2k

As you can see in the video, normal sonic can beat the boss with no issues.

By the way, I fucking love this project, I can never go back to vanilla 3&K or Complete at this point and apologies for the framey video, I had to record on my laptop :/

Edit:

This boss also eats frames before it kills you, if you spindash on the floor with a fire shield the game starts to drop frames rapidly, when it catches back up it kills you.

https://youtu.be/GiTtYs3Y8bY?t=777

18. RikohZX

RikohZX

With the new preview I've noticed a hell of a lot more audio clipping compared to the initial full release. It actually can get rather painful if I'm unfortunate, and it seems to crop up whenever it pleases too as for a bit it didn't have any of that problem at all.

19. T.Q.

T.Q.

The Sims 2, Tim Drake [Robin] Member
    @Eukaryot

New bugs to report since the latest update.

BUG #11
    CLICK HERE FOR BIN FILE. This takes place in Marble Garden Zone Act 2. The bug relates to the main boss area when playing in Knuckles' area. After the boss is defeated, and after plunging onto the animal prison capsule, the boss wasn't quick enough to leave the screen before turning into letters and numbers over its graphics.

BUG #12
    CLICK HERE FOR BIN FILE. This takes place in Flying Battery Zone Act 2. The bug relates to the moving platform after the ceiling laser beam room when playing as Knuckles (and probably could effect other characters) area. The sky background wasn't quick enough to rise up when Knuckles reaches the top of the ship before fighting the main boss. So instead of sky, there was a black background before the sky reached up.

20. RikohZX

RikohZX

Am I misremembering in thinking that's a bug that's been around since the original game? I think even Complete had it, at least for a while, because I swear I've seen it happen to me before on emulating the original game.