don't click here

Mega Drive / Genesis Mini

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by 360, Apr 8, 2018.

1. MartiusR

MartiusR

Eh, I've actually bought some time ago in discount latest AtGames MD (the one with "different" emulation and HD output). It seems to be fine on every degree, where all those previous "primitive" At-games consoles were failing. Even played a bit with my brother today to be sure of it, but it seems to have everything in order. Even those wireless pads are absolutely fine.

So what's the point of releasing another stuff like that , just with "mini" in name and (probably) removed cartridge slot? It seems rather like downgrade to me. It doesn't seem to have a rich library of third-party games (which COULD justify buying it)... Is having "mini" in name and not anymore "AtGames" at label really making it worth attention? I don't see anything appealing in this.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Define "seems to have everything in order". Didn't those have bad sound?

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    It's an AtGames unit, I will be astounded if it doesn't.

4. MartiusR

MartiusR

Sound and music are normal, no slow-downs, burping tunes, or anything I could hear.
    Animation is fine, no slow-downs, framedrops etc.
    Display seems to be in order, colors are fine, picture is displayed in 4:3 , so it's not stretched (maybe it can be changed somehow, but I was too lazy to check).
    Controllers are also good, feels both responsive and comfortable to hold and use. Theiy're wireless, and didn't had even once trouble with "losing signal".

My complains are for rather minor things - menu with game selection is a bit laggy (and in-menu control is weird), there is no separate audio and video output, everything is going through HDMI...
    And I would be personally more happy if power socket would be "USB type" instead of coaxial power connector (mostly because added AC adapter doesn't seem to be very solid and usb output is much less troublesome in terms of finding replacement, if necessary). Not to mention that device seems to be imported from UK, because it again required adapter to fit into my socket (fortunately, one was provided).

My brother also didn't notice anything wrong with games (how they're working) nor with controllers.

5. Flygon

Flygon

A relative of mine has one of those units, they're the Flashback console.

Kept crashing on them whenever they tried to play a game any reasonable amount of time.

6. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    I just really want it for the controllers. Wonder if those will be sold separately?

7. Gestalt

Gestalt

Sphinx in Chains Member
    It'd be really weird if there wasn't a Mega Drive Mini. I've been playing a lot of modern RPGs lately, now I'm totally down for some 16-bit classics.

8. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Even the Flashback console, though a step above its predecessors, is rough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdsU0nn4MVA

IMO the biggest talking point the Genesis mini is going to have to fight against is that the Flashback claims to have 85 games, but only 45 of those are actually Genesis. There's a handful of Game Gear and Master System games (which is fine), but then they pad the lineup with 27 filler, mobile bullshit games. There's also sound and slowdown issues, as pointed out in the IGN review.

It's hard to say until the full lineup is revealed, but Castlevania Bloodlines alone suggests to me they're going to try harder to get cool third-party exclusives than AtGames ever did, even if it only ends up being a handful. Right now a second-hand copy of Bloodlines goes for about the same price as the Genesis mini itself.

9. Hukos

Hukos

Bloodlines is one of those games that deserves to be re-released in some fashion, but for whatever reason Konami doesn't want to do it, outside of the Genesis Mini. I wonder if Konami will also slap Hard Corps on here?

10. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    If they went through the trouble of licensing Castlevania I don't see why they wouldn't do so for other Konami games, like Contra or Rocket Knight Adventures.

Konami was also a major third party on the NES, SNES and PS1 mini consoles so I'm not surprised they're working with Sega on this one.

In a similar vein I wonder what they might be able to get from Capcom, who also has several games for the other mini consoles. Mega Man The Wily Wars would be an interesting inclusion, since it never got an official release in the US outside of the Sega Channel.

Beyond that though I think most people remember the Genesis for its Western third party support, especially EA and licensed games. The licensed stuff is going to be tricky as hell, but if they want this thing to sell it might be wise to spring for a few notable games (Aladdin for example, third best-selling game for the console).

11. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Ten new games for the American model:

Castle of Illusion
    Contra Hard Corps
    Earthworm Jim
    Landstalker
    Shinobi III
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Streets of Rage 2
    Super Fantasy Zone
    Thunder Force III
    World of Illusion

This is shaping up to be a good package. I knew there would be more than one Sonic platformer.

12. Powpuck

Powpuck

Capcom made the wonderful Chiki Chiki Boys, which I hope makes the cut. I don't know for a fact but I reckon it's one of the pricier rare ones. And to be frank, of all of Capcom's games, I hope Wily Wars doesnt make the cut, because it's a butchering; for one, Megaman has a larger sprite but literally nothing else was scaled up to match.

And let's not forget Konami absorbed Hudson, so Mega Bomberman is a certainty. (At this point, the question isn't whether their games show up in a mini console, but when they'll knuckle down and make their own PC Engine/TurboGrafx 16 mini. And if so, will Sega and Atlus games show up therein.)

Also, I hope the company who owns Ranger X still exists.

EDIT:I started compsoing this before news of official Disney games dropped. Welp, that changes everything.

13. So we're getting our Sonic 2 after all, eh? That's awesome. Plus, dang! We got Konami, some Disney... EWJ?! I did not expect this!

14. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Konami's own Castlevania Anniversary Collection has been confirmed to include Bloodlines as well, so that takes a bit of the "wow" factor away from its inclusion in this.

15. Hukos

Hukos

Supposedly Japan is getting:

Thunderforce III
    Super Fantasy Zone
    Musha
    World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck
    Streets of Rage 2
    The Hybrid Front
    Landstalker
    Contra: Hard Corps
    Dyna Brothers 2
    Game no Kanzume Otokuyou

Why can't we get MUSHA? :colbert:

16. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    No guarantee we won't. Sonic 2 was announced first for Japan, but America also got it in this second reveal batch. MUSHA also had a Western release, so it's entirely possible.

17. Xilla

Xilla

I fail to understand....I begin to see! Member
    The Illusion games are a nice surprise! Leaves the door open for other Disney tie-ins too I guess, there are new Aladdin, Lion King and Toy Story movies coming out afterall....

18. Powpuck

Powpuck

I wonder if the deal includes other properties under the Disney brand such as Marvel, Simpsons and Alien. Maybe Revenge of Shinobi will have its Spider-Man cameo intact.

19. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Happy with the new games announced for the west release. Castle of Illusion is a good game but I've never played World of Illusion. Earthworm Jim 2 is so bizarre-I love it, but I've never played the first game. Landstalker is another game I'll always wanted to play.

As we now know the west is getting more than one Sonic game, I wonder if anymore will be included. Not expecting Sonic 3 to be included but I wonder if they'll add S&K. *inb4 Spinball & 3D blast get the nod*

20. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    I'm hoping we get S3K, but even if they don't want to figure out the music issues for 3 I don't see why they couldn't just include S&K on its own. It's not ideal but it'd be better than nothing.