don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Xilla

Xilla

I was thinking Caterham since they took over production of the Seven when Lotus discontinued it (And were indeed doing so when CD was In development), and they even entered F1 under the Team Lotus name after buying the naming rights from the guy who acquired it after the original team had folded . Quite a fun little character quirk if Tails came across a vintage Lotus from the 60s and spent time tinkering with it! :)

2. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    was there suppose to be an announcement for the release of the Sonic Boom dvd "Here Comes the Boom!"?

3. Yoritoshi

Yoritoshi

São Paulo
    Cosmic Boll
    Here is the Caterham/Lotus in the old manga:
    [​IMG]

4. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Wow I love that they explicitly mention it's a Lotus in the Sonic 2 manual. They'd never get away with that today.

Thanks for the tip!

5. Powpuck

Powpuck

How about the original Tornado, is that based on any actual biplane? Presumably it was designed by Yamaguchi, too.

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Is there an official source that calls the unfinished/hidden Sonic the Fighters character "Honey the Cat" as opposed to just "Honey" (or ??? as it is in the 2012 re-release)?

I'm guessing no, but best to ask before I move the page.

7. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    ALWAYS Sonic the Fighters
    They refer to her as "Honey the Cat" in this article. When she was first discovered, netizens believed the "Honey" reference was similar to that of Winnie the Pooh's love for Honey and referred to her as a Bear, not a cat. After discovering the Fighting Vipers counterpart Honey used moves such as "Cat Punch" and that the emulator at the time did not show her tail, I attempted to educate people by referring to her as "Honey the Cat" from then on. The nomenclature sealed itself after the Honey the Cat club on DeviantArt escalated her popularity.

But as far as ingame references, she is only referred to as "Honey", but not all graphics have been explored within the game, so it may be possible that she has a subtitle ala "Rosy the Rascal" hidden within the data.

Also on that page, it says "Honey was designed by Kazunori Oh and Takako Kawaguchi" which I would like to see a source. I had always believed Masahiro Sugiyama designed her.

8. Pengi

Pengi

9. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Fair enough, then it shall stay.

For some context behind this - I'm slowly going through all the old "game secrets" pages on the wiki and turning them into "Hidden content" pages, so that it mirrors Sega Retro. Sonic the Fighters/Hidden content is one such page.

Though I know a certain big fan of Sonic will be able to modernise this page a bit ;)

Most of these pages haven't been touched in ten years so it's a sad state of affairs across the board.

10. Pengi

Pengi

Fighter Vipers' credited character designers are Masahiro "T" Sugiyama and Kaznori O. There are no separate credits for the character models, so they will have handled them directly.

Sonic the Fighters' only credited character designer is Masahiro Sugiyama. Takako Kawaguchi is credited with "2D graphic and model design" and Kazunori Oh is credited with "graphic & model design".

In this old interview with Hiroshi Kataoka he says:

This is his own speculation, of course, but it confirms that the human Honey's character designer is the same guy who sneaked Sonic and Tails into Fighting Vipers. So it makes sense that he'd also sneak Honey into Sonic the Fighters.

So it's either Masahiro Sugiyama or Kazunori Oh.

But it should also be noted that a figurine of Honey the Cat appears in the Sega Saturn Fighting Vipers' CGI opening movie. And according to the Saturn version's end credits:

So I'm inclined to believe that Masahiro Sugiyama is the character designer of both versions of Honey.

11. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    http://youtu.be/vcI5UMfP18k

The statue's owners were found but the original owner sadly passed away a few years ago, his family now own it.

But it does sound like they are open to fixing up and restoring it. progress is progress!!

12. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    You basically followed the same logic I did after reading that same article many years ago! Thanks for typing it all out! Never caught the CG Intro credit though, nice find.

13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I'd make a new topic but they don't get much traction these days:

Game Secrets:Sonic the Hedgehog 3

Game Secrets:Sonic & Knuckles

Game Secrets:Sonic Adventure

Game Secrets:Sonic Adventure 2

Game Secrets:Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut

Game Secrets:Sonic Heroes

all of these pages are outdated - The Cutting Room Floor has better coverage, but even then I know there are things that are missing.

This site was founded on the idea of finding and documenting weird stuff in Sonic the Hedgehog games. We should have the best coverage on the internet, and yet we kinda don't.

(I mean okay it's all in this forum somewhere but it really ought to be front and centre of our repository of common knowledge)

Are we fresh out of experts these days - I know Sonic Adventure's been torn to pieces but you wouldn't think it looking at our wiki.

14. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    The tech being all outdated and weird and Wikias being simpler to use has made it so we just don't have the interested working power to keep up with other places like the sonic wikia

15. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    TCRF uses mediawiki like we do :eng101: Likewise, so does a heavy hitter like Bulbapedia.

Also, Wikia/Fandom is absolute trash with regards to autoplaying video and ads - in particular mobile view is extremely difficult to use.

I think part of our problem is, Sonic Retro seems to be edited only by Sonic Retro members - and as far as forums go, this one isn't mega active, and generally tends to have people who have real lives. TCRF tends to have more of a twitter presence too, and some extremely involved admins who constantly add stuff all the time.

16. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    We have the same on your last point. The Sonic and Sega Retro wikis (Including Retro CDN) are updated daily if not every two days. Otherwise, is wiki registration still broke on Sonic Retro?

The real problem seems to be that people just simply like to post stuff on their own websites/YouTube/Twitter and call it a day.

17. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    Have you seen this yet?

https://youtu.be/7wPq3n2HVcg

18. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    For those who don't like blindly clicking links: "Papercraft Mania Adventures: A SonAmy Date Gone Wrong".

No.

19. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
  20. biggestsonicfan

biggestsonicfan

Model2wannaB Tech Member
    A recently listed Sonic the Fighters poster in acceptable condition recently sold for nearly $200 USD, solidifying I will never get my hands on one.