don't click here

Mega Drive / Genesis Mini

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by 360, Apr 8, 2018.

1. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    9.19.19 was supposed to be reserved for Dreamcast mini ;_;

Despite these no longer being by AtGames products, I don't hold out much hope of the quality being much better, but I'm willing to be surprised.

But I'm super stoked for 3 button usb controllers. Hope they are sold separately, cos that's all I want.

2. Hukos

Hukos

Strider was an amazing port of the arcade game back in the day, but I suspect Ghouls 'n Ghosts might get the nod instead because it's a more well-known franchise. Strider should get the nod on merit, but I suspect that won't go into the calculations here. Capcom didn't exactly flood the Genesis with a whole lot of their support, unfortunately. Weirdly enough, Capcom flooded the Saturn with a billion games, so go figure.

I'd really like for Contra: Hard Corp. to be included, but even if it did, it'd probably be the US release instead of the saner Japanese version.

Considering that Sega owns the rights to Technosoft's old IPs, that probably means either Thunder Force III/Thunder Force IV are in play for this. As well they should, they're some of the best games on the console. I also really love Elemental Master, but it might be a tad bit too obscure for something like this. However, a title I'd love to see make it to a collection like this is Herzog Zwei, just because it's such a unique game and gives the collection a lot more diversity.

3. Pengi

Pengi

The Saturn was perfectly suited for Capcom's (at the time) bread and butter - 2D sprite based fighters.

Well, according to this tweet from Kotaku's feature editor, Chris Kohler...: https://twitter.com/kobunheat/status/1111832526765457408

If I recall correctly, this is how M2 handled Alex Kidd in Miracle World on PS3. This makes me want Streets of Rage 3/Bare Knuckle III now...

4. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Considering how the Mega Drive was less popular than the PC Engine in Japan, there don't seem to be a whole lot of third-party games that stand out. What Western game companies that are still solvent have a sizeable library on the system? Electronic Arts? A Road Rash would be nice.

5. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    I was worried that Sega hadn't learned anything when AtGames was put on the project, but I'm cautiously optimistic now. Of course, the line-up could turn out to be a total flub or the emulation could be crap. But if they get those things right, the value proposition and external authenticity mean that it could easily become a "best in class" product.

The system software is apparently being handled by M2, the developers of the very good Sega 3D Classics and Sega Ages ranges. If they put the same effort into this, it could well end up being excellent.

6. doc eggfan

doc eggfan

Are you pondering what I'm pondering? Wiki Sysop
    ACT
    GreatMegaLD, GreatSC3k, Great SG1k
    Perhaps, and that's good to know. It still feels like the difficult to please purists won't be happy unless a brand new Yamaha YM2612 sound chip is included inside every mini.

7. Powpuck

Powpuck

I do hope they base their choices more on merit than fame. One if the Genesis's more famous properties would have to be Cyborg Justice for its cameo in Wreck-It Ralph, and no-one should ever want Cyborg Justice.

I don't know about sizable, but there are plenty of UK outfits that still exist in one form or another with proprietary IPs such as Code Masters and Traveller's Tales. Rockstar is still around and I'm sure either of the two Lemmings titles would be a major boon for the Genesis/Mega Drive Mini.

Psygnosis has been absorbed by Sony, but who knows if they'll deign to have their games here.

Activision-Blizzard are still around, so there's Lost Vikings, Rock n' Roll Racing and Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure.

8. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    That is true... was just a thought I had, anyway.

Shit, I forgot about the Road Rash games. Including those would be pretty sweet.

I also just remembered the Vectorman games. I imagine those will be included (assuming Sega actually owns the IP as BlueSky went under years ago).

9. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    AtGames could get it for theirs.

I did notice though the packaging has a T rating on it though. All the Mortal Kombat games on Genesis that were rated by the ESRB were M.

10. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    The Mini is available to pre-order on most major sites in the US & UK (such as amazon) and is already a best seller. I've pre-ordered my copy.

As for some of the games I'd like to see included:

Tiny Toon Adventures: Busters Hidden Treasure (Konami)
    Dynamite Headdy
    Decap Attack Starring Chuck D Head
    Aladdin
    Micro Machines 2 (not turbo tournament '96)
    James Pond 3: Operation Starfish
    Fantastic Dizzy
    Lemmings
    Mega Bomberman
    The Terminator
    Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GP II

11. True and true, but I think it's not just the fact that Sony sucks or not, it's just that Sony didn't include analogs because that's not how it started out and they wanted to go cheap anyways, and Mario 1,2 and 3... pretty much when you see a toaster NES, you'd think of Mario 1,2 or 3. The overall understanding boils down to when you see a model 1 Genesis, you don't really think Sonic 2. Most people I know that played Sonic 2 had a model 2, as that was their respective pack-ins.

However, it's all speculation on my part since the Mega Drive ones are actually including Sonic 2, but I'm not sure how the nostalgia stacks up compared to the US which I'm familiar with.

Despite how they're going about it, I personally kinda wish they'd just go with Sonic 1, 2 AND 3. And yes, we all know why Sonic 3 can't be included, but why not just change the music? Yeah, the music might suck, but that's a compromise I'm willing to deal with, y'know?

12. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Just hoping we can add more games to it. I wouldn't mind having EVERY GAME EVER. With fanmade bugfixes where applicable.

13. Tiberious

Tiberious

Yeah, I'm furry. Got a problem? Oldbie
    I'm a little annoyed that JP gets Sonic 2 and Puyo Puyo 2, but the US only gets Sonic 1 and Mean Bean Machine (a 'Mario 2' version of Puyo 1), as well as only receiving 3-button controllers vs. the JP 6. Why the discrepancy?

14. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    Yeah, the controller discrepancy seems to be the only issue that most people have, but a lot of people have mentioned it. I understand, to a point, that the 6 button controller's functionality doesn't bring much the table for most games, but of the 10 games confirmed so far, 1 of them does utilise this for a much more user-friendly experience (Comix Zone).

The games being different between regions is a little annoying too, but I did hear multiple rumours of access to all regions of an included game if they were different (M2 have done with this some of their 3DS/Switch titles, so I wouldn't be surprised).

On a positive note though, this really does look like a step up in quality and attention to detail compared to previous ventures (mostly AtGames). I'm also hoping for some Rocket Knight Adventures love (Come on, Konami) and I look forward to getting it.

15. Hukos

Hukos

Any licensed games are probably out, outside of hacking the damn thing.

I'm going to start with listing games that are probably going to be likely, then looking at some possible deep cuts:

1st party:

Revenge of Shinobi, Shadow Dancer, Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master
    Golden Axe 1-3
    Streets of Rage 1-3
    Wonder Boy in Monster World/Monster World IV
    Phantasy Star II/Phantasy Star IV (for the love of god Sega, can you at least pretend III never happened?)
    Shining in the Darkness/Shining Force II
    Beyond Oasis
    Rest of the Sonic's
    Ristar

3rd Party:

Dynamite Headdy
    Alien Soldier (Easily a contender for best game on the console, possibly even that generation)
    Contra: Hard Corps.
    Rocket Knight Adventures
    Vectorman
    Ecco 2: The Tides of Time
    Thunder Force III/Thunder Force IV
    Ghouls 'n Ghosts/Strider
    Toejam & Earl 2

Deep cuts: (IE, games that probably won't make it but it'd be sweet as hell if they did)

Elemental Master
    Herzog Zwei
    Dahna: Megami Tanjou
    Star Cruiser (japanese only, but it has a fan-translation, so the only hope is if it appears on the Mega Drive side)
    Langrisser 1/2 (1st one was localized, 2nd wasn't, but it has a fan-translation as well)
    El Viento
    Gaiares
    M.U.S.H.A. (it got a virtual console release so there's a faint hope of this happening)
    High Seas Havoc
    Eliminate Down
    Advanced Busterhawk Gleylancer
    Jewel Master
    Landstalker
    Crusader of Centy
    Ranger-X

One thing I'm really hoping for is when this thing gets hacked, that it can effectively emulate Sega-CD games. The Sega CD doesn't have a massive library of stuff, but there's more good games on there than most people are willing to give it credit.

16. Powpuck

Powpuck

Man is there's a deep cut it's gotta be Soldiers of Fortune/The Chaos Engine.

17. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Hoping to be able to get the controllers individually. I already have a pi console with a megadrive mini case.

18. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Yuzo Koshiro is handling the background music and obviously will do a good job at it.
    [​IMG]

19. Pengi

Pengi

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/04/02/sega-mega-drive-mini-to-have-asia-specific-version-with-sword-of-vermilion-and-more/

There's going to be an Asian version, seemingly with its own lineup of games. Or at least, two of the ten games announced so far don't overlap with the JP and US/EU line-ups.

Space Harrier II
    Sword of Vermilion
    Wrestleball
    Shining Force
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    OutRun2019
    Gunstar Heroes
    Castlevania: Bloodlines
    Puyo Puyo Tsu
    Comix Zone

So, like the JP version, but with Sword of Vermillion and OutRun 2019 replacing Madou Monogatari I and Rent A Hero.

20. Yuzu

Yuzu

Mega Drive Mini is now available for preorder at Amazon Japan and it ships internationally.

The catch? You can't cancel the preorder. All purchases are final. I've never seen anything like this before on Amazon, it's really odd.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07Q3RGBDF/?th=1