don't click here

Sonic Runners Revival project

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Dark Sonic, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    http://youtu.be/T79D_jgqdAc

Some devoted fans are working on bringing the original Sonic Runners back via it's own dedicated server. Currently it's in alpha but this looks promising.

Gotta say I miss this game.

2. JamesRock7

JamesRock7

Pending Member
    Chile
    It looks awesome! It would be great to bring back this great game. I'll stay tuned! Thank you very much.

3. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Cool. I'd heard good things about this game, but by the time I had, it was already shut down. Now I could actually try it.

4. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    NIIICE. Came outta nowhere I gotta say, but I'm super happy about this.
    The OG Sonic Runners was my favorite mobile game, and it really sucks that it got discontinued while tons of crappy temple run ripoffs still plague the appstore to this day.

5. Pokepunch

Pokepunch

UK
    A Sonic 2 Hack
    I never got to play Runners as I didn't have a powerful enough phone at the time, so this project is great and I'd love to give the game a try.

6. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Hopefully this project doesn't retain both the poor smartphone optimization and gross pay-to-win microtransaction trash of the original game.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yea I forgot how poorly optimized the game was my phone would feel like it was on fire.

8. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    I'm very happy to see there's a topic on this here on Retro. I seen this over at Twitter yesterday, and I'm happy to see it being revived. Didn't someone else post about trying to get it back up and running here in the past or am I remembering things wrong? Runners was my favorite mobile game btw, so this project is something I've been waiting for!

9. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    So is that actually running on a phone?

10. Xinus

Xinus

Oh wow.
    Considering PatMac's recent video. this is the perfect timing for such a thing! can't wait to check this out.

11. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    I forget, what's the difference (besides better optimization/performance) between the original Runners and Runners Adventure?

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Runners Adventure isnt randomly generated in the same way. Some levels are set laps and there are like 50 set levels in all. There are less characters and features but it removes all free to play aspects as it costs like $4 up front. There are also no gems, wisps, or trick system.

Also it just looks a tad fuglier for some reason. Worse art direction.

13. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    This looks really awesome! I never got a proper chance to play the game when it was around; the soft launch was outside of my region, the F2P version crashed on my potato of an iPod Touch on trying to load anything, and by the time I got a modern smartphone capable of properly playing it the game was long dead. Hopefully they'll be able to get something...

ohno.wav

14. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Well, it was nice while it lasted I guess.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    What do you mean has this project been cancelled already?

16. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    "A possible disagreement?" They took a well-received game off the mobile market (which means you can't get it anymore at all) and replaced it with an inferior product. Of course sooner or later someone would try to recreate the game to be enjoyed again the way it was originally loved. The only thing SEGA can disagree with is their own business decision. Yes they're a business and -can- do this if they want to, but it leaves a nasty taste in the fans mouths, and is overall bad PR. SEGA needs to think this one carefully.

If the original Runners was still available in some form on the market, things would be different, but it's not. If more people are swarming to this than Runners Adventures to the point where its getting SEGAs attention, then they need to rethink their business model for what even led to the cancellation of Runners and the making of Adventures.

The only thing that I could see being concerning is if this is just straight up the original code being reworked/modded, but I'm led to assume the programming is all fan-remade with the original assets (like how Sonic Classic has Sonic 1 levels)?

17. ReadyLeady

ReadyLeady

Hey there - tester here.
    I wanna clear up things a bit.
    Sega haven't formally contacted us yet, there was just a community manager from Sega Hardlight (that was involved in the original game) messaged us on Discord saying that Sega might contact us this week.
    So we'll just have to wait and see what happens next.

18. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    If we're talking reviews, "well-received" is a big stretch. The few critics that bothered to review it were in unison that it had actually good gameplay, but contained too much trash surrounding it (the aforementioned technical problems on various phones, pay-to-win elements, and frequent ads) to recommend audiences to pick it up. And outside of that small circle, I haven't really seen anyone outside of the fanbase even remembering Runners' existence, let alone proclaiming it as a great product.

Speaking of which, the main reason Runners was taken offline was because it wasn't bringing in enough money in like Sega's other mobile games. The game was actually stamped as a commercial failure in their IR reports (page 11).

19. JamesRock7

JamesRock7

Pending Member
    Chile
    I think this game was shut down too early.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    While I'd of loved to have seen this game gone on it died for a reason. It never fixed what needed to be fixed and instead added "features" that just made the game more scummy. The whole reward system would have needed an entire revamp (that fucking roulette I'll see you in hell) and the game was so poorly optimized my phone felt like it was on fire. If the game were to come back officially it could take some lessons from current Sonic Dash and Sonic Forces: Speed Battle.

No joke I spent like $5 or $10 on this game's moon dollars to spin the roulette in the hopes of getting Classic Sonic or Metal Sonic (I forget with one) and after not getting it I threw my phone at a wall. So yea, like Yeow mentioned the gameplay at it's core was solid and the presentation was nice but it was surrounded by endless trash that kind of ruined the experience.