don't click here

Sonic Mania Plus (Consoles Physical; PC Digital) - Non-Leaks Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chris Highwind, Mar 16, 2018.

1. RankoChan

RankoChan

I'm bored, k? Member
    Some random RPG project.
    Looks like I'll finally be picking this up on PC after cancelling my preorder over the Denuvo nonsense. Good work Sega.

2. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    It's absurd how the DRM took up over 100 megabytes of space. Now I'll finally triple dip in the game.

3. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    How do I opt into the beta on Steam? Never done it before.

4. Miles3298

Miles3298

In your Steam Library, right click on Sonic Mania in the list, hit Properties, go over to the Betas tab (to the right), then enter "sonicmaniabeta" where it says "Enter beta access code" and hit the Check Code button. Then go up to the drop-down above it and hit community_beta and it should automatically update from there.

5. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    Thanks.

6. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    Awesome news. My Steam copy of Mania visibly froze after levels were saved (ruining the "seamless" transition between acts a la S3&K) and also either randomly paused or randomly ejected itself out of fullscreen mode to a windowed mode. Hopefully the removal of Denuvo fixes both issues.

7. As of two hours ago, the "community_beta" build from a week ago has been pushed to the public branch.
    Rejoice, the PC port is finally Denuvo-free. I'm going to play through the game again to celebrate :D

8. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
  9. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    None of the mods work for me now with the new launcher. I'm guessing the mods themselves need to be updated.

Hortinus' Metal Sonic mod still works though, which is cool!

10. Turbohog

Turbohog

I'm surprised they actually removed it. Now it looks even more stupid that they delayed the game to implement it in the first place.

11. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Mods shouldn't need to update to the latest version unless they use DLL's or make code changes. Try manually redownloading the latest modloader.

12. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I've reinstalled the mod loader multiple times now and certain mods just don't work now. I have no knowledge whatsoever on coding, but I imagine it's the mods themselves, because certain ones do work. It's just odd that even some sprite mods don't work.

13. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Mods which edit the GameConfig.bin file will not work unless they are updated. Said file contains the common palette data for the entire game, including the playable characters, so it's very commonly edited.

14. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    The only thing that gets me is the in-game performance demands of Mania are still where they were before, because it turns out Denuvo was never the culprit. I talked with some people on the Steam forums, and they said it was the result of an idle-skipping bug that's been there since day-one! :specialed: (Most developers are careful with Denuvo's implementation, so the real issue here is preservation/modding.) It's really that simple, even Sonic CD Remastered has idle-skipping issues if, and only if, the window is out of focus.

You have no idea how mad I am at Past Me right now, I'm eating so much crow. But, I'd rather concede than pretend I was never wrong.

At least it's all behind us now! The game deserves more love- and mods. :eng101:

Mania is currently on sale, too! 66% off. ($6.79 USD) Now is a good time to buy the game on PC, free of Denuvo and you get a good discount. :)

15. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Denuvo definitely impacted game performance though, Mania on PC runs way better for me now, especially with that awful Time Attack slowdown bug.

16. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I've never ever had slowdown problems with Mania, nor have I had any problems with Denuvo; if I'd never been on this site, I wouldn't have known it was ever an issue.

17. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    They seem to be system specific issues which is why the bugs are so hard to squish. In Denovo's case, it affects weaker computers who can't handle the decryption shit. I've got an old i7-4770 and a GTX 980 so I've had no issues in any of my games.

18. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    For me, when Mania had denuvo you would have a second delay between act transitions, and more recently, horrendous slowdown when selecting the final levels of the time attack mode. The biggest issue was that restarting a time attack level would result in a second delay.

But otherwise, the performance wasn't greatly affected.

19. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    I never experienced slowdowns with Mania, either. Even my potato laptop can deal with the game fine, but, it having this bug makes it extremely not-battery-friendly; a game that would normally barely register as 4-8% CPU usage shoots up to 87% at times. (Stronger PCs obviously fair better, here. :) Mania still hogs more power on my desktop than Freedom Planet 2, a far more complex game, but it's tolerable.)

The Switch version exists, I know, and it is the most ideal way to play Mania on the go. I will probably double-dip on that version when I get a Switch, however- I don't ever expect this to be fixed on the PC version, but it would be so nice, especially for recording Mania. It's literally the only thing that mildly bugs me about the PC version, the port is pretty solid outside of this.

You're right, I gave it a try and yes, that delay between act transitions and restarting time attack is completely gone now. Even my much stronger desktop was experiencing that hiccup, so this is nice. We take those. :specialed:

And my laptop doesn't stutter on the FMV cutscenes anymore; it's still not exactly in time with the music, but it's a very serious improvement from before. It's the laptop itself being too potato for the HD video files at this point.

20. MartiusR

MartiusR

My my, is Sega finally changing their attitude regarding PC releases? Hope so!

Although I'm still sceptical about GOG releases of their games in the future.

On the plus side though, I finally had motivation to get back to Mania and buy Encore DLC.