don't click here

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Roller, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    I just have an issue with the Sonic minifigure's legs. The sonic minifigure that was made for Lego dimensions uses standard legnth legs. This one uses unmoveable short legs like what I think tails was going to use.

2. Roller

Roller

21331 LEGO Ideas Sonic the Hedgehog, Ring Racers (SRB2Kart 2)
    I answered this in the "Frequently Asked Questions" post in the Updates tab of the campaign (scroll down a bit here), but this is meant to be a representation of Classic Sonic, who's consistently been shorter than Modern Sonic - which the Dimensions release is quite clearly a toy of given the green eyes, shape of the belly pattern print, and in-game voice.

There IS a new moveable medium-length leg design, but it was not clear whether it would be usable outside of the Harry Potter franchise when I was designing the model. If I could go back and redesign it, I would use that piece instead.

3. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I'm not sure how these things work, but I assumed that your pic was only meant for reference, and Lego would go and redesign everything from scratch if this gets approved, so further refinements shouldn't be ruled out. I mean, what if you used an impossible piece somewhere? You did an excellent design, but I highly doubt they would use it verbatim, they'd definitely run it through their design department or something.

Anyway, you should crosspost this on other forums to get even more views, did you consider SSRG and/or smspower? I can crosspost it there with your permission if you don't have an account.

edit: also, this. Let's hope it won't be reverted.
    edit 2: aaand it's already gone. 3 full minutes, Wikipedia never ceases to amaze me.

4. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    That's exactly how it works, yes - even if the project reaches the chosen amount of supporters and makes it through the review phase to actually be selected, it'd be developed further before release as an actual set. Some Ideas sets have changed quite a bit between reaching 10k supporters and their eventual release.

It's mentioned in the project updates (specifically the 15%/1.5k supporters update) that there was ambiguity as to whether the new articulated short leg-piece was tied to a particular licensed property - although it's now looking like it isn't, as it's now turning up in a future set for a different license, this info came too late for the initial design pitch stage of the project. So, rather than saying there's no scope for redesigning the set, I think what Roller/Toastergrl's getting at is simply that if the situation re: the articulated short leg piece had been clear back when the project was being initially designed, it would probably have been used from the start instead of the current immobile legs. On a side note - the same 15% update makes it clear that she's hoping the new legs could be used in the eventual set if the project gets enough supporters and actually makes it into production.

Either way, keeping shorter legs of some kind is a must in my book, as it helps further distinguish the Sonic from the existing Modern Sonic from the LEGO Dimensions set. Getting hold of both this set and the Dimensions pack would basically allow you to play out a LEGO Sonic Generations, haha! I do agree that the articulated short legs would add extra playability to an already awesome set ideea, so it'd be great to see them used if this does eventually get developed into an official set. = )

5. paulojrmam

paulojrmam

Looks awesome and definitely something that should happen. I made my account and supported. Congrats on your skills, the mockup looks very professional and well-made.

6. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
  7. Sid Starkiller

Sid Starkiller

Virginia, USA
    Paying off student loans
    In regards to the leg discussion, how about an additional, alternate piece: a new wheel-like piece to simulate the classic run motion? That'd be a nice add IMO.

8. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Nice idea - however, Ideas sets can only utilise pre-existing pieces, so anything totally new is sadly off the table. Even the Doctor Who Ideas set could only include a proper Sonic Screwdriver piece because it was technically developed for the LEGO Dimensions Doctor Who pack released a few weeks earlier. It's one of the reasons Sonic is the only character in this proposal who's a 'proper' minifig; the required pieces to make him already exist in LEGO's back catalogue, largely thanks to his own Dimensions pack from 2016.

9. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    personally, I like my lego legs to be moveable.

Couldn't other sonic figures be possible? they do have 3d models of them in lego form in Lego Dimensions.

10. Pengi

Pengi

They don't have the moulds to produce them.

11. Roller

Roller

Ack, been juggling things - sorry for not responding quickly. Thank you to everyone for their appreciation and enthusiasm, with a few specific responses:

McAleeCh's pretty well-written post is basically 100% accurate to everything I tried to communicate, and I don't think I could have put it better. I'm very pleased that you want to share my project to as many places as possible, but Wikipedia was probably a step too far. I don't have SSRG or smspower accounts, no - you are welcome to share there as long as you are courteous about it and capable of either answering questions or directing them to a location I can personally handle them, such as the Comments section of the project page itself.

You're doing a fantastic job in this topic. If this were a bit more of a formal affair, you'd make a fine PR manager :D Re your Generations comment - exactly what I was thinking! I was half entertaining making a joke in a future Update about the pre-existing Chima animal warriors toyline being a good base to recreate the Sonic Forces "avatar" play pattern with...

The only thing I'd add to Pengi's comment is that the 3D models are produced to the standards of a video game. They look fine at the average camera distance, but they're nowhere near machine-ready like the process for producing normal minifigure heads - plus the whole dealio McAleeCh mentioned for the wheel'o'feet thing in response to Sid Starkiller.

EDIT: New page! I don't usually include forum-style quotes in my posts, but I figured it was probably for the best to maximise context...

12. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Been away for the weekend with no internet, so apologies for the late heads-up - looks like the project's now topped 3.5k supporters! It's great to see so much support for this design, but at the same time there's still quite a way to go to reach that final goal, so if you'd like to see this set produced please do keep sharing the page link with anyone you think might share that interest~!

Since it's not been posted about here yet - in a recent update, Toastergrl showed off the design for a brand-new scenery module for the set in the form of a functioning collapsing platform! The little module contains a totem pole, a Star Post and a hinged platform which can 'collapse' to dump figures into the water below. It's a really nice addition with a fun functional gimmick, and feels a little more specifically tied to Mania's interpretation of Green Hill Zone than the original two modules - personally I'm really hoping this would make it in if the set does end up being developed for release. = )

Thanks~! Just trying to help keep momentum going in hopes that you can hit that 10k goal and give this set a chance to be produced - have been making sure to share the link where I can in hopes it'll bring more support your way. Would love to have the set on my shelf one day, to join the Doctor Who Ideas set I supported previously! I notice you mentioned a new mini-badnik will feature in an upcoming update, so looking forward to seeing that as and when it's ready to be shown off. = )

13. Roller

Roller

Thanks for helping out, McAleeCh! ^u^ I feel awkward posting in the topic when there's not much to show off. Things've been a little slow lately, but I did manage to do a few things...

[​IMG]

Ignore the kind of clickbaity text on the image (that's mostly for Twitter), but the new Badnik I was talking about was the Buzzbomber - which, interestingly, doesn't need any new pieces to build if the Motobug gets made! When I first realised it, it really made me start asking questions about the design language of the Sonic 1 badniks and how they're supposed to be grouped. Was the Caterkiller originally meant to be in Green Hill Zone, but dubbed too difficult to deal with? Were Newtron, Chopper, and Crabmeat not? Or was it the other way around, with a few distinct designs being created, then smaller variations on that concept made manifest to save the digitisers some difficulty? It's funny, the questions you end up asking when recreating things in a new format.

I also finally got the pieces together to build my Eggman design in real life. There are a few points of instability, but those could be cleaned up with a few part replacements, I think. If people want size comparisons, I'm able to give them now. :P

[​IMG]

As mentioned above, I also did a new module which takes more from Mania's specific visual cues than the other ones I'd done so far. You can read more about both of these in the Updates tab of the project.

I also did an interview with the Sonic Stadium that went up last weekend, since they were the first ones who turned out to be interested. It's a good read (I hope), and explores some of my history with the franchise, even if I do half-ramble. Might be worth a look if everything thus far has caught your fancy!

We're a hair under three weeks in at about 3,750 out of 10,000, having slowed down a bunch. If y'alls have any ideas about how else (and where else) to promote this, I'm all ears. Thanks for taking a look ^^;;

14. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Well, as I said, I posted on SSRG and smspower a few days ago, but there were no replies, sadly :(

Someone else tried to edit the Sonic Mania page on Wikipedia, but another moderator took the link down again.

You might look into asking Youtubers with lots of subscribers to talk about your project, I have 5k+ subscribers myself, but I haven't uploaded a single video in years so I don't know how useful it would be...

15. Roller

Roller

That's a real shame about those two places. I was hopeful about 'em. Oh well - not a time for dwellin'! And I wouldn't be surprised that this isn't considered notable enough for Wikipedia, honestly. Maybe if it reached 10,000, at which point the extra attention is useless for me but maybe a good idea for LEGO. :P

That's a good idea, but I always feel super awkward about reaching out. Do I go for Sonic players? LEGO people? The questions leave me wonderiiiiiing on the best approach about reaching out. I think I'll get real serious about this next week, since that's when my lectures and most of my coursework will be over by.

[​IMG]

Also, celebrating St. Patrick's Day at 1 in the morning like a true Irishwoman. :v:

16. Roller

Roller

17. Roller

Roller

[​IMG]

Couldn't resist.

18. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    WOAH Green Hill is looking a lot more like.... :rolleyes:

19. Roller

Roller

20. Roller

Roller

Ok, this time it's substantial and actually related to the stuff.

[​IMG]

Halfway there, baby. Thanks to all who've supported and shared this thus far, and I hope you enjoy both Thanegg and the Phantom Rider (and Jimmy the Motobike!)