don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I'm gonna assume you were trying to post this?

[​IMG]

Yeah, surprise surprise it looks like shit. I can't even get worked up about this. This movie stopped being Sonic a long time ago, now it's just something hideous and wrong that I can laugh at.

2. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    I think the head looks fine, honestly. It's the body that kills it for me because it makes him looks like a man in a suit.

Then again, you shouldn't be aiming for "it looks fine" when it comes to movies. They have to be either amazing or awful or they won't be remembered.

3. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    What the hell were you people imagining.

4. Pengi

Pengi

Yeah, you've hit the nail on the head. In the Marvel films, you can buy into the idea of Rocket Raccoon being a strange creature that could conceivably exist in our universe. This Sonic design really isn't that. It still looks like a cartoon character, just an unappealingly designed one. It doesn't make for a good representation of Sonic, but it doesn't look good on its own terms either. Too many awkward compromises instead of going in one direction or the other. They could have stuck with the traditional Sonic silhouette, or made him look more like a more plausibly spiny creature - trying to do both at the same time just ends up being the worst of both worlds.

Other design decisions just come across as arbitrary. The Boom-style blue arms are a hindrance when they overlap his spines, and it throws off the colour balance of the design, like whenever there's a Superman costume without the red trunks and the costume looks flat and incomplete. White hands instead of gloves is another one - it makes him look more like a cartoon character, rather than Rocket Raccoon pseudo-realism, but without being faithful to Sonic's actual cartoon character design. If he can wear shoes, then why can't he wear gloves?

The shoes themselves are emblematic of the wrongheadedness of the design approach as a whole. They're such a huge part of the iconography of the character, the one thing that could happily transfer over to live action without any major changes, but they replace them with plain read sneakers? And not even high tops?

So yeah, it's about what we all expected. It could have been a lot worse, but it's still very poor all around. Not to mention especially unfortunate timing, after the surprisingly faithful and decent looking Detective Pikachu trailers. I know the obvious response to all of these criticisms is "the game version of Sonic wouldn't look believable in live action", but can anyone honestly say that this thing does?

Sonic is so inherently a cartoon character, they should have just embraced that. Audiences bought into Roger Rabbit and Kermit the Frog alongside human actors, the same approach could have been taken with a CGI Sonic sporting his video game design.

5. Creature SH

Creature SH

The sheer, boneheaded commitment to all of the least sensible decisions in trying to do both "realistic" and "cartoony" at once kind of makes this look like it was created by an algorithm. Like what a software from about ten years in the future would do with the instruction "Construct this character out of realistic sources". Astonishing.

6. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    Twitter is like nothing but bad buzz about this design right now too, wonderful

Sega is so goddamned stupid.

7. Yoritoshi

Yoritoshi

São Paulo
    Cosmic Boll
    ...I just hope Jim Carrey will be a fine Egg-- Dr. Robotnik. I mean, every incarnation of the character has at least some appeal. They can't mess him up.

8. Pengi

Pengi

Jesus H. That looks significantly worse than the licensing art. Is it legit?

I've seen this comment made a few times... and I just don't see it. I've not seen anything of the live action Chipmunks movies beyond the trailers, but the Chipmunks themselves are competently designed. They're elegant, self-congruous designs.

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ewwwwww it's disgusting.

Jesus.

10. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    His eyes scare me.

11. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Nike shoes.

Nike shoes.

Nike. Shoes.

It's not my birthday today what gives.

12. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    This sonic is a Knock off. I rather go play Sonic boom on the Wii U

13. RGX

RGX

Animator Member
    US
    [removed]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2019
  14. Frostav

Frostav

I really want to know just who approved this design and what the hell is wrong with them.

Why does this keep happening? Like, some of the executive meddling that's happened in all sorts of properties (not just Sonic) that creates stuff like this is absolutely mind-boggling.

15. rata

rata

Argentina
    Trying to be useful somehow.
    And I want to punch him/her/it on the face for that.

I don't know if it's just me, but sonic looks like he has a girl body on some shots. Maybe this is a movie about Amy? xD

16. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    [​IMG]

17. Tanks

Tanks

Well. At least we know we're on the right side of history now.

18. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    HAHAHAHAHAA OH WOW.

Fuck Hollywood. That is fucking hilarious.

19. Turbohog

Turbohog

Why did they even have to ruin the shoes? And why can't he even keep his socks? Everybody wears socks.

20. Fadaway

Fadaway

What if it has classic sonic physics. Jim Carey's character will be the inverse of Ace Ventura. Even the hair is inverted.