don't click here

Project AXSX (2013 and Beyond)

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Andrew75, Apr 25, 2013.

Are you interested in playing project AXSX?

1. YES, count me in, I would love to play this game.

261 vote(s)
    84.2%
  2. I may play the game, (not sure how I feel about it yet.)

43 vote(s)
    13.9%
  3. Nope! Game looks like shit. I love only modern HD games.

7 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    Haha, nope, but good guesses though.

2. SanicDerpy

SanicDerpy

???
    SMPS2MID & MID2SMPS Conversions and learning to draw.
    My guesses are:

Purple Blocks - Ice Blocks that change Sonic's traction while he's on them.

Gold Blocks - Falling blocks, when Sonic steps on them, the platform would fall.

3. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    We have a winner !
    In Picture 3, the blocks with the yellow tops do sink down and than fall, just like the floating platforms in GHZ. ( they also shatter into pieces when hitting the ground)

However the purple blocks guess is wrong.
    But yeah I guess you could be right about the traction, however that's not a feature that has been implemented yet, and not pictured here.

Also keep in mind, we are only looking at the purple blocks with yellow front faces for remaining guesses.

4. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Either they're pushable, or act a bit like springs by going a bit down first, then throwing you up really high like the ones in Metallic Madness. I'd go for the second, as they don't seem big or cubic enough to be pushable. or maybe they're just breakable, as the other ones break upon hitting the floor.
    Is this kind of digressing brainstorming allowed as an answer for the quiz? :v:

5. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Yes in picture 3, there are push blocks. (notice the ruts in the ground where the big yellow blocks are sitting, you can push the blocks around inside the ruts)

6. RDNexus

RDNexus

No chance of some new video(s) of your endeavors? For curiosity's sake.

7. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Nope not yet lol

8. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Showcase deleted

Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  9. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Showcase deleted

10. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Showcase Deleted

11. Jason

Jason

*Results not lab tested. Member
    Why is it that what seem like simple problems require complex answers, especially in computers? Good work.

12. Good to see you still working hard on this, and thanks for the update!

13. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    The last 3 Days for AXSX has been rearranging the file structure. So pretty much, the last 3 days looked like nothing but this:
    [​IMG]
    Reason for the re-structure is to make things a little more easy to navigate by cutting some extra folders that were required when porting UDK level layouts over to unreal 4.

Seems there are many more days for restructuring over 63,605 files, 25,378 Files of which are the 3D building blocks used for making the level layouts.
    So far its taken 3 days just to do the 25,378 building blocks move alone.
    Why does it take so long you ask? It seems, When you change files between folders inside Unreal 4, you have to manually start a File re-directory update so that other files like levels and or actors know where the assets have been moved to.
    This is soooo slowwww! But hey its automated! I'm doing smaller 10,000 or so groups at a time just so that in case I get a power outage , i can recover from the previous move's end point from a backup rar. Must be carful , because if something happens, it could corrupt the whole process!!

Anyways just here to say we're not dead yet, Although,,,,,,,, this may just be what drives the nail in my lid... lol ( that's a joke)

14. RDNexus

RDNexus

I know that feeling... Not in the same sense, but still...
    Just like people have been telling me about my attempts at writing Novels... Try not to give up until the very end.

15. XL2

XL2

It's good to see you guys are still working on this.
    I'm just wondering, but isn't UE4 holding you back?
    It seems like the transition to UE4 caused many problems.
    Wouldn't it be easier to just use C++ and Open GL ?

I guess UE4 has many advantages, like collision detection and shaders, but since Sonic X-Treme is pretty "primitive", it shouldn't be hard at all to at least implement the 3d rendering part.

Plus PCs are so fast you don't even need to truly optimize the rendering part, you just throw everything at the z buffer and you will still hit 60 fps on crappy computers.
    No need for advanced portal clipping, bsp trees and such.
    I think it took me like 1 hour with no previous knowledge to have a basic map renderer on PC, including gouraud shading. Everything is so much easier than on the Saturn.

Is it because your programmers don't have enough time for it?

16. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    XD, I guess you could say its a little bit of everything, Sure Unreal 4 seems to be slowing the project down in some areas along with Programmer and also my own lack of time in other areas.
    It's cool, we're pushing ahead slowly but surely 1 thing at a time.

Right now the biggest issue we are having is holding back the final part for sprite animation system: https://forums.unrealengine.com/unreal-engine/feedback-for-epic/1584791-need-new-rotation-axis-data-feedback-desperately

Everything for the animation system is done except for passing the rotations of the player pawn to the Sprites so that the sprite displays the correct sprite image which would align with Sonic's orientation.
    The sprite system is complete and works as it should, However the rotational data feedback coming out of any object or even the player are jumping all over the place when you rotate it.

.... Its quite frustrating and It sucks eggs so hard. Because everyone I've turned to, can not come up with a solution to the issue, I've tried asking many reputable programmers, some from the sonic fangaming community, but many ppl are at a loss.

I've come very close to salving the issue on my own, But, It seems that every time I'm so close, something else breaks within the rotation data gathering/translation/correction system that I've been working on.
    Right now my plan has been in separating each Axis to its own separate thing and locking out the other 2 Axis out so that the separated axis stays stationary when the other 2 axis rotate. I'm also using math to correct the numbers from jumping, caused by the interference from the other 2 Axis which filter into the separated axis.
    Its hard to explain without giving a visual. (but yeah please refer to the link above for a better explanation of whats going on)

If anyone could salve the math, I'd be able to make it a paid job for sure, because this has been something we've been looking to get salved on and off for over a year now.

17. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Just dropping by to say , We are on the right track for the Rotations data issue described above! Hell yeah !
    Thanks to Josh and Meinukey.

18. AlexanderGogolevRUS

AlexanderGogolevRUS

Russia
    AXSX
    Hello ! Just Showing off the new model that I have been working on for use in AXSX, I'm doing the heavy modeling, while Andrew is handling the quality control and minor tweaks here and there. The model was based on random Screenshots and videos of the original model used to render out the Sonic X-treme sprite sheets.
    [​IMG]

Here are some in game views next to the original sprite. (Please keep in mind that this is all very much still a WIP.
    For example, The pictured in game shader is not final, the idea is that it's going to be tweaked to match the original glossy look and feel)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Also it's planned to add the pixelated shader to a model so it will bring more aesthetics to classic look

19. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    That looks so good and I can't stop giggling about it.

20. Unlimited Trees

Unlimited Trees

we Do a Little Mischief, Mischief... Member
    When
    UNITRES, Project Time, etc.
    I've been following this project for a few years now. Even if the development has been slow, I still love seeing progress on it. You guys have done such an epic job with this and I hope to see this game get finished (even if it takes forever)

Also that Sonic model makes me moist that is all.