don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog (2020) movie

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Frostav

Frostav

SEGA signed off on Forces, 06, and Shadow The Hedgehog. Expecting them to suddenly go "this does not represent our brand correctly" is a pipe dream.

2. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
  3. RikohZX

RikohZX

A publisher doesn't "sign off" on a game's development, funding and so forth from the conceptual stages and expect to get garbage in return. SEGA themselves helped destroy '06 in particular by diverting the team up twice and having no one like Yuji Naka to help take over after his departure, on top of keeping their tight Christmas deadlines due to a spontaneous deal with Microsoft. But they weren't expecting it to turn out the way that it did. Even then, the development teams are inside SEGA as a company, so they have oversight and management that can potentially make or break a title.

SEGA signing off to Paramount took the actual work of the project far and away from their hands, letting the eggheads at Hollywood flex their "creative muscles" to create what can easily be presumed to be a bottom of the barrel, methodical and stereotypical children's live-action CGI hybrid movie of a cartoony animal throwing one-liners around and doing "cool" things while the parents get to see the actors they know be boring people in foreground. SEGA can see the trainwreck coming, but they can't do a damn thing about it.

4. Retroman

Retroman

It's risky to outsource a brand to certain companies. Like with DIMPS, they made good and not-so-good Sonic games.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to this movie with the bar set rock bottom well below the crust of the Earth. It may turn out to be like The Room movie, hilariously bad type of good or just bad.

5. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
    The idea that Sega simply doesn't give a shit is an obvious way of seeing things but ultimately incorrect. The question is: How badly is this movie going to affect game sales? They aren't gonna be able to sell their next mainline Sonic game with an ugly Sonic movie next to it. They aren't gonna do what Mattel is doing with the terrible Netflix She-ra reboot and simply ignore it. As things stand, even if the next game is a quality product, the only thing anyone will be talking about is how ugly the Sonic movie is...It's the reverse of Forces and Mania whereas Forces wasn't much but we were all too busy talking about how good Mania was to care.

This particular movie mutation has the mainstream commenting on the backlash. Not just the gaming populus but the normies. That's bad.

6. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
  7. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Isn't the logo wrong there

8. Laughingcow

Laughingcow

Resident Edgelord PHD Member
  9. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Yeah, seems like it's not real after all. A shame, that design looked halfway decent.

10. Looks pretty real to me, unless there's proof it's fake...

11. Linkabel

Linkabel

It looks to me that the it's a proof-of-concept poster before they finalized the cast.

12. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    The Sonic head in the C is all wrong.

[​IMG]

Logo from July:
    [​IMG]

13. Sonic's legs look different too, when you compare them to the poster we saw the other day.

14. Not really proof. They could have changed it, stuff gets refined all the time in development.

All I'm saying is, that's a hell of allot of time and effort to draw that image just to fool some people.

But this is the internet

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Is he really spreading a hoax and saying "time will tell if it's fake" or is there another source for that?

EDIT: The original source is @Farrisken210.

16. Sir_mihael

Sir_mihael

DON'T TRUST THIS MAN Member
    I haven't posted any of my thoughts regarding everything shown so far about this movie. But I'm already echoing what many of you are doing: Watching this trainwreck Day 1, preferably with or after a few solid drinks. I don't want my first viewing of this masterpiece to be a sober one.

If it's more entertaining than Dragonball Evolution, then I'll call it a victory.

17. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    The fake isn't actually horrifying. Bad, but not horrifying.

This makes the official reveal all the sweeter.

18. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Another image of the alleged potential cast choices here from the same source. And holy shit this can't be real. Justin Timberlake as Tom? Jim Parsons as the voice of Sonic? What the fuck. This is so bad it's hilarious. If this is real then what the fuck Hollywood. At a guess the supposed new poster is an internal and pre-production concept image from very early on. If real.

I mean isn't that Chris Pratt in the poster? Who by the looks of it was their first choice for Tom? If real you dodged a bullet there Chris.

19. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    [​IMG]
    Made a stupidly brightened edit - I cant see any evidence of the face looking like that 'new' poster. It's all different (especially the eyes) I'm honestly really curious how they convey emotion with these lifeless glassy green baubles in his face.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    HA They considered Charlie Day for Sonic? That'd of been hilarious.